Group appeals to FG, ASUU to end ongoing strike
NNN: The Fellowship of Churches of Christ in Nigeria, has called on the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to end the ongoing strike in Nigerian Universities.
The General Secretary of the group Rev. Moses Ebuga, made the appeal while speaking at the opening of the 101 General Church Council (GCC) of the Church of Christ in Nations (COCIN) on Tuesday in Jos.
Ebuga said that the ongoing strike had devastating effects on the future of the nation’s educational system and that of the students.
He lamented that the lingering industrial action by the university teachers had led many youths into social vices due to idleness.
”May I use this medium as a parent too, to plead with the federal government and ASUU to come together and resolve the present crisis hitting hard on our children and the education sector at large.
”This unhealthy situation is not speaking well about the image of our country that is marred with all kind of vices.
”We call on all those that matter to please lend their voices to see to the end of this strike,”he said.
On his part, President of COCIN, Rev. Amos Mohzo, called on the federal goverment and the security agencies to intensify efforts toward addressing the spate of insecurity in all parts of the country.
”There are a lot of killings going on; killing has become a normal practice in our land.
”Kidnapping has become a lucrative business that it seems there is no an end to the menace,” he lamented.
The president also called on the Plateau Goverment to deliberate on implementing the anti-land grabbing law recently enacted in the state.
- Kaduna govt. inaugurates committee for policy on private school operations
- Stakeholders call for increase in death notification
- Estate agent faces N3.4m land scam charge
- Kano traffic agency deploys 1,500 personnel for Eid-el-Kabir
- WHO to reconvene monkeypox emergency committee
- Seadogs lifts Nasarawa community with portable water
- 467 police constables graduate from Police College, Ilorin
- Police pass out 9,989 Constables from training schools
- New Islamic Development Bank Institute (IsDBI) Book Enriches Knowledge on Fatāwa Related to Leasing Contracts
- Man, 40, faces N1.7m visa scam charge
- Eid-el Kabir: We’re badly affected by economic downturn, ram sellers, buyers cry out
- Cuba Consortium signs agreement to establish vaccines manufacturing plant in Bayelsa
- Acting VC tasks Deans on soft, developmental skills
- Teenager in court for alleged shop breaking
- The Chairperson of the African Union Commission calls for tolerance and peaceful co-existence in Western Ethiopia
- Man, 24, docked for alleged shop breaking, theft
- Honoring H.E. Muhammad Barkindo, Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Secretary General
- Man, 65, gets life imprisonment for raping 85-year-old step mother
- Police present N24m cheques to families of 8 deceased officers
- Army donate bags, books, food items to 361 pupils in Rivers