Economy

Govt. partnering SEAP to reduce unemployment–NOA

Published

on


Mrs Dolapo Dosunmu, the Oyo State Director of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), says government is partnering  with SEAP Microfinance Bank to help reduce unemployment through empowerment initiatives.


Dosunmu spoke in Ibadan on Monday at the launch of SEAP digital microfinance android POS device and annual general meeting of its  Ibadan Zone.

She said with more than 600,000 members engaged in SEAP initiatives., the financial institution had been collaborating with government to empower people who were in turn taking care of their families.

“Nigeria’s problem is corruption and lack of integrity; people should shun corruption which is the bane of our development,” Dosunmu said.

Mr Dokun Olatunde, the Executive Programme Director of SEAP, said the outfit had moved from analogue to digital microfinance operations to ensure effective service delivery.

Olatunde, who spoke on the merit of the technology introduced, enjoined members of the organisation not to be negligent in their duty of ensuring their financial records were intact.

“We are going into digital microfinance now which is the best global practice as people are now running away from manual microfinance due to its limitation.

“Digital microfinance saves cost, protects savings of clients and provides transparency in microfinance activities.

“With this digital device, I know that microfinance has taken a new shape in Nigeria and the world at large.

“Some of the challenges this device will tackle are multiple loans to a person, disappearance of debtors and change of location after obtaining loan among other fraudulent activities.

“With biometrics features in place, it will generate receipt, capture biometrics as well as reduce corruption and fraud in the system,”Olatunde said.

Also speaking , the Director of the Bank of Agriculture in the state, Mrs Idayat Folorunsho, represented by Mrs Hajara Balogun, urged SEAP beneficiaries to pay back loans obtained on time for the benefit of others.

“The only way to prosper in your endeavour is to have the mindset to repay your loan right from the onset,”he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the event had in attendance beneficiaries drawn from 53 branches of SEAP as well as other other stakeholders.

( Edited by Mufutau Ojo)

https://nnn.ng/govt-partnering-seap-to-reduce-unemployment-noa/

Defence/Security

Borno Govt. registers tricycle operators to checkmate bad elements

Published

on


The Borno Government on Tuesday said it would commence the registration of tricycle operators in the state, to sanitise the system of bad elements.


The state Commissioner of Transport, Dr Abubakar Tijjani, disclosed this during a meeting with leaders of commercial tricycle operators union, in Maiduguri.

Tijjani said that the biometric registration exercise would also assist the government in maintaining security in the state.

He said that the move was part of the proactive measures to restructure the transport system for better services to the people.

Tijjani said that the ministry would kick start the exercise on Wednesday at three VIO Offices located opposite Ramat Polytechnic, Baga road and Custom area in Maiduguri.

The commissioner said that at the end of the exercise, operators that failed to register would not be allowed to operate in the state, and urged the union to support the exercise.

Yusuf Hayatudeen, the Chief Executive Officer, Bexil Computer and Solution Limited, the company handling the registration, said that forms would be made available at designated centers, adding that 700 persons would be registered daily.

In his remarks, Director Transport of the ministry, Baba-Gana Moruma, emphasised the need to maintain all the COVID -19 safety measures while carrying out the exercise.

“The registration is free of charge and it is expected to start on June 17,” he said.

Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Maharazu Ahmed (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/borno-govt-registers-tricycle-operators-to-checkmate-bad-elements/
Continue Reading

Health

Kano State Govt. conducts 8,273 COVID-19 samples test

Published

on


Kano State Government says it has conducted 8, 273 coronavirus (COVID-19) samples test
since the outbreak of the pandemic in the state in April.


The Kano State Ministry of Health disclosed this via its official Twitter handle @KNSMOH on Tuesday.

It noted that “a total of 8,273 samples of COVID-19 were tested in Kano State.”

It disclosed that 21 new confirmed cases of the virus were recorded and 32 patients discharged in the state as at Monday, June 15.

Accordingly, the state had so far recorded a total of 1,158 confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which, 450 were active cases, 658 discharged and 50 deaths.

The ministry urged residents of the state to observe safety protocols, personal hygiene, and use face mask, hand washing, as well as social distancing to
stem further spread of the pandemic.

It also provided toll free numbers: 0909 399 5333; 0909 399 5444, 0800 268 4356.  

Edited By: HadizaMohammed-Aliyu (NAN)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://nnn.ng/kano-state-govt-conducts-8273-covid-19-samples-test/
Continue Reading

General news

Lockdown: Kaduna Govt re-opens state boundaries

Published

on


The Kaduna State Government has directed the removal of roadblocks at all the state boundaries.


The government ordered relevant agencies to dismantle and relocate the barricades that enforced the ban on interstate travels.

The directive is contained in a statement issued by the Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Mr Muyiwa Adekeye, to Gov. Nasir El-Rufa’i, on Monday in Kaduna.

The government also said that boundary patrols undertaken by state government officials as part of the quarantine regulations be stopped forthwith.

“Clearly, the prohibition of interstate travel by the Federal Government as part of COVID-19 containment efforts has largely been breached by the people charged with enforcing it.

“These decisions are based on the recommendation of the State Taskforce on COVID-19, following a review of the situation of the state boundaries, as the state emerges from partial lockdown.

‘’The state government has received reports of persistent extortion of vehicles conveying essential goods by some security officials, thus complicating an already challenging period,’’ it stated.

The statement said that the state taskforce on COVID-19 noted that the prohibition of interstate travels had been consistently implemented only when state government officials were deployed to the entry points.

‘’While it is insufficient to stop the influx of persons, these exertions by senior officials were a necessary sacrifice to help reduce the chances of COVID-19 spread through interstate travels,’’ it added.

The government revealed that some officials on boundary duty,  consistently reported lacklustre or perfunctory cooperation by security agencies in enforcing the interstate travel ban.

It noted that while non-essential travel had been wantonly indulged at the state boundaries, there were reports of continued extortion by some security agents of vehicles transporting essentials goods.

’The conduct of such officials is also jeopardising the timely and cost-effective delivery of essential goods.

’Therefore, the Kaduna state government has directed that roadblocks at state boundaries be dismantled.

“Henceforth, the only roadblocks authorised within the state are those that are mounted to enforce the 8 p.m to 5 a.m curfew,’’ the statement read in part.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/lockdown-kaduna-govt-re-opens-state-boundaries/
Continue Reading

Health

Abia Govt. declares Aba epicentre of Coronavirus, to monitor churches, mosques — Kalu

Published

on


Abia Government has declared Aba, the state’s commercial hub, a red zone and epicentre of Coronavirus following the number of positive samples emanating from the city.


Chief Okeiyi Kalu, Abia Information Commissioner, disclosed this on Monday while answering questions during a phone-in programme on COVID-19 update in the state.

Abia which recorded 15 new cases on Sunday moved to the 16th position, with 166 confirmed infections, on the log of states with highest Coronavirus cases in Nigeria.

Out of this number only three persons were reportedly nursed back to health and released from isolation centre which Kalu said compounded Abia’s case with very few spaces left for confirmed cases.

Kalu decried Aba residents’ non-challant attitude to the pandemic adding that they vehemently refused obeying governments’ directives on COVID-19 including wearing of face masks and observing of social/physical distancing.

He said such attitude threw the city into a grave danger.

He also blamed churches and mosques for refusing to adhere to simple directives or telling adherents what was right to do.

The commissioner noted that report coming from Aba Central Mosque, on Hospital road, was very dangerous and worrisome for everyone in the COVID-19 era.

He said that Abia Inter-Ministerial Committee on COVID-19 had directed the Aba South Local Government Transition Committee Chairman to directly enforce regulations at the mosque on Friday and during other prayer sessions.

Kalu further said that many health workers in Aba might have been infected with Coronavirus as a result of attending to infected people unknowingly without full protection.

“At the moment, Abia is having more samples than any other state in the South East which is good, because unless we identify where this problem is coming from, we may not be able to deal with it.

“We’ve done our mapping by local government and one thing is clear, majority of the new cases are coming from the Aba area and it’s alarming.

“It looks like all the sensitisation, all the efforts made by the media, have not worked because Aba people continued to violate the regulations with regard to face masks wearing, and social distancing.

“The churches are part of the problem. It looks like Aba is a red location for COVID-19 infection and all hands should be on deck now to stop the spread there,” he said.

Kalu expressed regrets that people were busy endangering their lives and others instead of working together to stop the spread of the virus.

He said that the facts emanating from the level of infection of health workers in the city were disturbing hence the government’s unwillingness to unveil all the facts.

“The rate of infection of medical workers in Aba is very high, which means that a lot of COVID-19 patients are presenting themselves to hospitals and our medics are attending to them without full protection,” he said.

Edited By: Chidi Opara/Donald Ugwu (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/abia-govt-declares-aba-epicentre-of-coronavirus-to-monitor-churches-mosques-kalu/
Continue Reading

EU executive to propose overhaul of migration and asylum system Oil down after United States crude inventories rise against expectations Malaysia opposition leader Ibrahim says seeking to form new government Damilare, Christiana emerge winners in Big Dreams Nigeria talent show NCDC announces 176 new COVID-19 infection in Nigeria UNGA Debate: Buhari urges global action against small arms S/Arabia to allow Umrah pilgrimage to resume from October – Report UNGA Debate: Buhari advocates uninhibited supply of safe coronavirus vaccines to all Nigeria High Commission in Canada reopens after six-month closure President Buhari’s UNGA75 National Statement Olowu condoles with COAS, says Col. Bako’s death a national tragedy 9 energy firms get $2.6m USAID grant to power rural clinics in Africa FCTA reiterates commitment to job creation through agriculture value chain Sanwo-Olu charges cabinet, officials to brace up for optimum performance I never accused NAN staff of fraud, says Lagos NUJ Chairman Navy deploys 6 warships for special military operation in 4 states Obiano inaugurates 18-member task force on human trafficking, irregular migrationar migration Buhari congratulates Plateau Dep. Gov. Tyoden at 70 Barbados tourism expert advises African operators on innovation Ramaphosa urges UN to take decisive action against racism Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner  Buhari consoles with Borno on loss of two Emirs Suspect wanted by FBI for $6m scam surrenders to EFCC — Official Lagos govt to train medical records personnel for effective service delivery AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support   Flood: NASG distributes relief materials to victims in 45 communities UN commends FG on improvement of humanitarian access in North-East Gov. Ganduje inaugurates NYSC governing board 8 states yet to implement new minimum wage – TUC COVID-19: We’ve flattened the curve, says Gov. Ganduje Silverbird Group to establish cinema outlets in Ebonyi FG alleges that multinationals companies drill for water without approval Electricity/Fuel pump hike: NLC insists on nationwide protest LASG receives 107,546 CA-COVID food palliative packs At UNGA, AU chairman solicits ‘comprehensive stimulus package’ for Africa Sanusi calls for diversification of economy to address poverty, inequality Food Council to ensure reduction in fertiliser price – Gov. Bagudu Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims I’m loyal to APC, not factions, says chieftain in Ibadan Oyo govt re-awards 9.7km Saki township road for N4.7bn Suarez language exam for Italian citizenship rigged, prosecutors insist Runsewe urges youths to uphold cultural values Late Emir of Zazzau was a father to all – NDA Spurs’ League Cup match called off due to COVID-19 cases at Orient Mixed reactions trail CBN‘s MPR cut 40 coys bid for NEPZA constituency projects Bale may extend Spurs’ stay beyond loan spell, agent says Minister urges fertilizer dealers to work in line with Fertilizer Act IBEDC apologises to customers over poor electricity supply NAICOM urges state govts to domesticate compulsory life insurance, others for citizens