German govt. to implement ‘alarm level’ of gas emergency plan
NNN: German govt. to implement ‘alarm level’ of gas emergency plan
Berlin, June 23, 2022 German Economy Minister, Robert Habeck will declare the alarm level of the country’s gas emergency plan on Thursday, due to an ongoing dispute with Russia, government sources said.
Utility companies would not yet be given the opportunity to increase their gas prices under the Energy Security Act, however, the sources said.
Habeck planned to make an announcement at 10 a.m. (0800 GMT), with his ministry saying only that the topic would be energy and security of supply.
The gas emergency plan had three levels: early warning level, alarm level and emergency level.
The alarm level meant that there was a disruption in the gas supply or an exceptionally high demand for gas that had led to a significant deterioration in the supply situation.
However, the market was still able to cope with this disruption.
The declaration was related to the dramatic reduction of Russian gas supplies through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline since last week, which German authorities said it was politically motivated.
Habeck had declared the early warning level at the end of March.
Germany was rushing to reduce its dependence on Russian energy as Moscow scaled back gas supplies to Western nations in what was seen as retaliation for sanctions imposed over the war in Ukraine.
Experts said that it was only a matter of time before Germany would be completely cut off from Russian energy, either through policy decisions or at the will of Russian, President Vladimir Putin. (
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family