The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) in Akwa Ibom says it apprehended 72 road traffic offenders in the state in the last one week.
The State Sector Commander, Mr Ochi Oga, disclosed this while speaking with newsmen during sensitisation of the public on proper use of road along major streets in Uyo metropolis on Wednesday.
Oga said that the arrests were made from the last Sallah period till now for disobience to traffic regulations, like dangerous driving.
He added that the 72 offenders were tried by a mobile court and were convicted for traffic violation.
“As to the arrest concerning the lockdown and others activities, last week we had two sessions of mobile court in the state because we have the Sallah patrol that is expiring this Saturday which was from July 29 and will be expiring August 8 of this month.
“We had together about 72 arrests during that period.
“For overloading of vehicles and then those that were disobedient to others traffic regulations like dangerous driving during this period, we arrested and also brought the to mobile court.
“Those 72 offenders are also convicted by the mobile court. So, that’s the situation on ground,” Oga said.
The sector commander said that the sensitisation exercise was to inform the public and all road users that everyone has the right to use the road.
He said that emphasis would not be to arrest anyone, but to sensitise the public that vehicles users must give way to pedestrians and should not be in a hurry while on the road.
According to him, a number of road users were always in a hurry without considering other road users.
He expressed displeasure over such attitude, stressing that it was one of the major cause of road crashes in the state.
“We are also laying emphasis on who has the right of way at a particular time that level of patience to allow the owner of the road at a time is necessary.
“We notice that a lot of people are so much in a hurry, that they don’t give way to the right owner of the road at a particular time.
“We notice that some of the crashes that we were recorded happened at the roundabout here in Uyo and it is because everybody was in a hurry.
“Yesterday, we recorded about two road crashes and at a close consideration of what happened, we noticed that it was just carelessness that led to those two road crashes.
“As much as possible, we want to lay the emphasis by showing people the right thing to do.
“Again, we have flyers we are distributing with some messages to the general public as to what to do when you get to the highway,” he said.
Oga urged the general publc to always remember that there were other road users and should show consideration, especially to pedestrians and school children to ensure safety on the roads.
Edited By: Celine-Damilola Oyewole/Tajudeen Atitebi (NAN)
Ebonyi bus accident: FRSC, Police confirm 3 more bodies retrieved from river
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the recovery of three more corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu River after a Mercedes 608-model bus plunged into the river on Sept.18.
The News Agency of Nigeria , recalls that the bus conveying members of a Church who attended their pastor’s burial was returning to Enugu when the accident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge.
Uchegbu said that the corps sent its personnel to the hospital, where some rescued victims were being treated, to interact with doctors on the true reports concerning the ‘unfortunate’ incident.
“We have been getting conflicting reports on the casualties so we sent our personnel to the hospital to interact with the doctors handling the cases.
“We were able to ascertain that seven persons were actually rescued from the river on the day of the incident instead of five earlier reported.
“One person was confirmed dead, two persons are presently on admission, two have been officially discharged while two opted to return home having sustained no injuries from the incident,” she said.
Ughegbu said that with the 14 corpses retrieved from the river on the second day of the rescue operations and the three other corpses retrieved on Sunday, the total number of retrieval is 24.
According to her, the total number of dead victims is now 18.
Also, the Ebonyi command of the Nigerian Police Force confirmed in a stateement the retrieval of three more corpses on Sunday, adding that a retired police officer was among the deceased persons.
“Efforts are still on to recover the remaining 10 persons,” it stated.
Edited By: Dianabasi Effiong/Donald Ugwu
Edo 2020: Gov. Emmanuel congratulates Obaseki, urges him to deliver more
Gov. Udom Emmanuel of Akwa Ibom has congratulated Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo for his victory in the governorship election held on Saturday Sept. 19.
Obaseki of the People’s Democratic Party ((PDP) was declared winner by INEC when he pulled a total vote of 307,955 to defeat the closest rival and the All Progressives Congress (APC), candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu who scored 223,619.
The congratulatory message is contained in a statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to Gov. Emmanuel, Mr Ekerete Udoh, and given to newsmen in Uyo on Sunday.
“On behalf of the Government and the people of Akwa Ibom State, I join our brethren in Edo to congratulate our Brother, Gov. Godwin Obaseki, for securing the trust and faith of the good people of Edo State to superintend over the affairs of the State for another four years.
“As I have always said, a good job delivered well means more job to be done.
“I have no doubt that you will step up to the plate and deliver big time for the Edo people.
Edited By: Abiemwense Moru/Donald Ugwu
8 burnt to death in Lagos-Ibadan expressway accident
Eight persons were on Saturday night burnt to death in a lone accident involving a Mazda bus on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Mr Ahmed Umar, the Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abeokuta on Sunday.
Umar explained that the accident, which occurred at about 8:45 p.m. near Saapade bridge, was caused by tyre burst.
This, he said, resulted in the bus summersaulting and bursting into flames.
The sector commander added that 11 people were involved in the accident made up of three male adults, one female adult, one child and six unidentified persons.
“The suspected cause of the lone accident involving the Mazda bus marked AAA 249 VX was tyre burst which led to loss of control before crash and bursting into flames immediately,” he said.
He said that FRSC operatives contacted the Sagamu Fire Service immediately for a joint rescue operation.
Umar said that three injured victims were taken to Idera Hospital, Sagamu, for medical attention while the Health Department of Remo North Local Government Area was contacted on the burnt victims.
He advised motorists to drive cautiously, obey traffic rules and regulations and ensure that their tyres were in good condition.
Edited By: Mufutau Ojo)
Ebonyi Bus Plunge: FRSC confirms 14 corpses retrieved from river
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the retrieval of 14 corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu river after a Mercedes Benz 608 model bus plunged into it on Friday evening.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the bus was conveying members of a particular church who attended their pastor’s burial and were returning to Enugu when the incident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge but five victims were rescued unconscious on Friday.
“Seven males and seven females, all adults were inside the vehicle all and they were all dead.
“Their corpses have been deposited at the Mater Misericordae Hospital, Afikpo, but both professional divers from Port Harcourt and the local ones are still searching for more victims,” she said.
Uchegbu said that with five persons rescued on Friday and 14 corpses retrieved on Saturday, it was clear that there more victims still missing.
“This sums to 19 recovered persons as against the expected 32 passengers on board the bus.
“The FRSC personnel are still on ground, maintaining free flow of traffic with the road cordoned to motorists since Friday,” she said.
Chief Onyebuchi Ogbadu, Chairman of Ivo Local Government Area (LGA) of the state, disclosed that the state government hired divers from Rivers and Cross River to assist in the rescue efforts.
“The divers located the bus inside the river, pushed it to enable the crane pull it from the river,” he said.
Sources close to NAN revealed that the driver was one of the persons rescued on Friday and he disclosed when he regained consciousness that 32 persons were inside the bus.
“The driver said he managed to dive from the bus as it plunged into the river,” the source claimed.
Edited By: Peter Ejuiofor)