French prosecutors have charged two French men over a suspected plot to assassinate an opposition politician from Congo Republic living in the Paris, an official from the prosecutor’s office said on Friday.
The two men were charged in the city of Lyon on Wednesday with association with criminals and possession of explosives, the official said without naming the target or giving details of the plot.
A Congolese government spokesman could not be immediately reached for comment.
Human rights groups often criticise Congolese authorities for heavy-handed tactics toward opposition leaders and demonstrators.
Several prominent opponents of President Denis Nguesso have been jailed in recent years.
Ex-army chief and presidential candidate, Jean-Marie Mokoko was sentenced in May to 20 years in prison for violating state security and illegally possessing weapons.
Edited by: Fatima Sule/Felix Ajide
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-2OsE
- FRSC solicits motorists’ support to minimise crashes
- Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Solidarity Camp Tunis – Final report of the two-day tournament
- Neymar extends PSG deal until 2025
- Ogun Govt., Private Firms Empower 100 Youths
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 case update (May 8, 2021)
- Okowa mourns ex-minister Aisha Alhassan
- Ogun Govt. Re-Affirms Commitment To Boost Agric Sector
- UNIBEN warns admission seekers against racketeers
- Video press release: Rugby Africa 7-a-side solidarity camp – Day 2: All matches will be broadcast live Saturday and Sunday on Rugby Africa’s Facebook page and Rugby Africa’s YouTube channel