Sen. Bode Ola, a lawmaker in the 6th Assembly and Chieftain of All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ekiti has urged President Muhammad Buhari to order the immediate release of the June 12,1993 election results annulled by the military government.
The party chieftain, who represented Ekiti Central Senatorial District disclosed this on Wednesday in Abuja, during an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria .
He said the release of the results would help put Nigeria’s political history and records in proper perspective and right the wrongs of the past.
He added that by authourising the release of the results, the late MKO Abiola would legally and officially be recognised as the authentic winner of the controversial election.
“President Buhari should go a step further by authorising the release of the results of the June 12 1993 elections to officially and legally authenticate M.K.O Abiola as the true winner of the contest.
“The release of the results of the election would put the country’s political history in proper perspectives and right the wrongs done to millions of Nigerians who forgot ethnic and religious affiliation to vote for M.K.O Abiola as President in the annulled 1993 polls, ” he said.
He, however, commended the president for naming the National Stadium, Abuja after the late business mogul.
Ola described the gesture as a way of immortalising Abiola’s name in the annals of the nation’s history and engraving his name as the pillar of sports in Africa.
Edited by Julius Toba-Jegedehttps://nnn.ng/former-senator-calls-for-immediate-release-of-june-12-election-results/
Former Japanese justice minister, wife to leave LDP over election scandal
Two Japanese lawmakers have decided to leave Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s main ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) over allegations they violated the election law, sources close to the matter said Tuesday.
Katsuyuki Kawai, a former Justice Minister and his wife Kawai Anri, a member of the upper house of parliament are alleged to have bought votes for the upper house election in 2019 possibly helping Anri to secure her seat in the poll.
Prosecutors allege the pair’s actions violated the Public Offices Election Law and are planning to question the couple on Thursday, once the current Diet session ends, the sources said.
Until now, the couple has denied allegations related to the vote-buying issue during questions they have answered from prosecutors on a voluntary basis.
Kawai left his position as justice minister in October last year after it came to light his wife’s election camp, which he oversaw, may have tried to hide illegally high payments made to staff during the campaign by splitting the amounts over two receipts.
Her office is suspected of paying staff members double the legal amount, with daily allowance payments made to a group of staff members campaigning on her behalf totaling 30,000 yen (280 United States dollars).
The payments may be in violation of Japan’s election law and could be considered a form of bribery, the sources said.
In a bid to conceal the potentially illegal payments, Kawai’s campaign office is suspected of producing separate receipts to be signed by the staff members, to make it look as though the payments were below the legal threshold of a daily allowance of 15,000 yen.
The couple, according to investigators, may have given more than 20 million yen (186,000 United States dollars) in cash to numerous local legislators.
Kawai is believed to have offered between 50,000 and more than 100,000 yen (931 United States dollars) in cash to each of the couple’s supporters in their constituencies, prefectural and city assembly members, as well as local government chiefs.
The pair will tender their resignations to the LDP by Wednesday, sources said, as they do not wish to cause any further trouble for the ruling party, although they are continuing to deny the vote-buying allegations.
Sources close to the couple said, despite the weighty allegations against them, they do not intend to give up their seats in the parliament.
Former Anambra lawmaker commends Buhari for setting up committee against rape
A former member of Anambra State House of Assembly, Mrs Vivian Okadigbo, has commended President Muhammadu Buhari for setting up a committee to deal with the spate of rape in the country.
Okadigbo, who gave the commendation in an interview with newsmen in Enugu on Monday, said the measure would go a long way in halting the constant abuse of girls and women.
The two-time former lawmaker, who represented Oyi Constituency, noted that women in the country were not happy with the rising rape cases, which were unfortunately becoming a daily occurrence.
She also expressed displeasure that the female folks had not benefitted much from the current democratic system of governance across the country.
She called on the National Assembly to come with a law that would make provision for women inclusion in national politics.
On the politics in Anambra, Okadigbo said that Gov. Willie Obiano had rebranded the state by making it an industrial hub in the South East.
According to her, this has made the state a destination for local and foreign investors.
She noted that the state had recorded unprecedented investment since its present administration came on board in 2014.
Okadigbo also urged the people of the state to observe all precautionary measures stipulated by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), and Anambra government to avoid contracting COVID-19, as the virus was real.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Donald Ugwu (NAN)https://nnn.ng/former-anambra-lawmaker-commends-buhari-for-setting-up-committee-against-rape/
Former Philippine foreign secretary Yasay dies at 73
Former Philippine Foreign Secretary Perfecto Yasay died on Friday at the age of 73.
“My husband, my partner, my best friend – left us today at 7:26 a.m.,” Yasay’s wife, Cecile, wrote on her Facebook page on Friday morning. She added that her husband died of pneumonia “caused by the recurrence of his cancer, not COVID” which refers to COVID-19.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque offered his condolences to the Yasay family.
“We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and loved ones of of former Department of Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay, who died today, June 12,” Roque said in a statement.
Yasay, a college friend of President Rodrigo Duterte, served as foreign secretary from 2016 to 2017. He was Duterte’s first foreign secretary.
Yasay was forced to step down in March 2017 after the Commission on Appointments rejected his appointment as top diplomat due to his United States citizenship issue.
Prior to his appointment at the Department of Foreign Affairs, Yasay served as chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission from 1995 to 2000.
Former Gabon prime minister Emmanuel Issoze-Ngondet died
Former Gabonese Prime Minister Emmanuel Issoze-Ngondet in office from September 2016 to January 2019 died Thursday in Libreville, announced Foreign Minister Alain Claude Bilie By Nze.
Emmanuel Issoze-Ngondet, born in 1961 and a career diplomat and former foreign minister, was promoted to Prime Minister by the current head of state Ali Bongo Ondimba to replace Raymond Ndong Sima.
“I keep in mind the memory of a loyal friend…it is an immense loss for our country,” said the Gabonese president in a tweet.
The cause of death was not disclosed.