Flood: NACCIMA seeks support for Olam, other businesses
The Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines, and Agriculture (NACCIMA), has urged the Federal Government and other relevant agencies to support Olam Limited, Nigeria and other businesses affected by flooding in Nasarawa.
Its Director-General, Mr Olusola Obadimu, made the plea on Monday in Lagos, in his reactions to the Nasarawa flood incident that led to severe losses of food and properties by businesses domiciled in the area.
Obadimu said the call was important because in recent years, Olam Farms had contributed significantly to the nation’s rice consumption.
He said the flood occurrences revealed the possible implications of disregarding the Sustainable Development Goals Seven (Affordable and Clean Energy) and 13 (Climate Action) were manifesting globally, particularly in African nations and Nigeria.
Obadimu said, this in turn, was causing an increase in the failure to achieve other goals.
He said that though, the 20 million dollar investment was completely insured, the impact of the disaster on the company, the surroundings and the threat to the depreciating environment and its topography could not be overstated.
The director-general advised that the parts that have not been completely submerged at Olam Farm might need some form of immediate rehabilitation.
“We regret the recent flooding in the Doma Local Government and other areas of Nasarawa, reportedly caused by the River Benue overflowing its banks.
“This incident has resulted in a significant loss for various businesses and properties around the area.
“We recognise the contributions of OLAM FARM’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to their host communities, as well as the significance of their farm to food production and the agricultural value chain.
“We also recognise the presence of other businesses around this area stretching all the way to the banks of Rivers Confluence in Kogi State that were direly affected.
“We urge the Federal and affected States Governments, together with relevant government agencies to promptly put in place measures capable of supporting the farm and other businesses around in their salvaging and recovery efforts,” he said.
The NACCIMA chief urged a higher level of responsiveness and absolute regard for NiMET’s warnings about climate change by being more proactive.
He said though, there were natural disasters in other climes, they were usually better managed through proactive steps to ensure minimal damages to both human and material resources.
Obadimu added that significant measures by those climes would protect investments that ensure livelihood for thousands of citizens around disaster-prone areas.
“Nigerians and private businesses must take climate change seriously, particularly concerning the need to minimise Carbon Dioxide emissions and in their corporate responsibilities to promote and advocate the climate change agenda, as well as promote, ultimately, the use of alternative green energy sources in Nigeria,” he said.
- Enugu Governor Meets with Tinubu, Discusses Partnership with Federal Government and Nnamdi Kanu’s Release
- Arsenal and Chelsea Compete for Moises Caicedo Amid Worries of Teammate
- BREAKING: President Bola Tinubu Suspends CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele
- Real Madrid sign left-back Fran Garcia from Rayo Vallecano
- Nigerian Afrobeats Singer Davido Excited at the Possibility of Winning Grammy
- Understanding Indictments: What You Need to Know
- Blue Jays Pitcher Demoted for Sharing Anti-LGBTQ2S+ Video
- Dalpe’s Dream Come True: Playing for the Stanley Cup in His 14th NHL Season
- New York City’s Air Quality More than 56 Times Over WHO Safety Limit, Ranking as World’s Most Polluted
- Parklife Travel: Everything You Need to Know
- 16-Year-Old Arrested After Serious Assault at Private School in Tiverton
- Weapons Found after Assault at UK Private School Leaves Two Students Hospitalized
- Newcastle United confirms £25m per season deal with Saudi events company Sela
- Where to Find and How to Use the Cybertron Cannon in Fortnite
- Novak Djokovic beats Carlos Alcaraz to reach French Open Final
- Joran van der Sloot Pleads Not Guilty to Attempting to Extort Money from Natalee Holloway’s Mother
- The Unlikely Influences Behind “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts”
- Former President Donald Trump Indicted on 37 Felony Counts of Willful Retention of Classified Records
- Fortnite Season 7 Brings New Challenges and Weapons
- Mortal Kombat 1 gameplay reveal shows new features and teases story details
- Mortal Kombat 1: Release Date and Pre-Order Details
- Former President Trump to be Tried by Judge He Appointed
- Anthony Mackie stars in teaser trailer for “Twisted Metal” adaptation
- Summer Game Fest Unveils Exciting New Games for Fans Everywhere
- Manchester City and Inter to meet in UEFA Champions League Final
- Manchester City looks to complete treble against Inter Milan in UEFA Champions League Final
- Niall Horan Shares the Meaning Behind ‘You Could Start a Cult’ Lyrics
- The Show: Niall Horan’s Best Album to Date
- Bill Murray and Kelis: The Latest Unlikely Celebrity Couple
- Djokovic Reaches 23rd Grand Slam Final
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State Predicts Major Role for El-Rufai in Tinubu’s Administration
- Burna Boy Receives Multiple Nominations at Bet Awards 2021
- Reports of Sweden Introducing Sexual Intercourse as a Registered Sport a Hoax
- Novak Djokovic Reaches French Open Final as Opponent Hobbled by Cramp
- Fast X: Part 2 to Release on April 4, 2025
- Inter Milan’s Simone Inzaghi: The Cup Specialist
- Unseeded Karolina Muchova Reaches French Open Final After Comeback Against Sabalenka
- B.C. Lions beat Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Manchester City vs. Inter Milan: All You Need to Know Ahead of the Champions League Final
- Fortnite Season 3 Chapter 4 Introduces Transformers Collab
- Unlockable Skins in Fortnite Chapter 4 Season 3 Battle Pass
- Google Honors Willi Ninja with a Google Doodle
- Young hockey player uses pandemic lockdown to his advantage
- French President Macron Visits Annecy Knife Attack Victims
- Air Quality Improves on US East Coast as Wildfire Smoke Drifts South
- Till Lindemann Law Firm Responds to Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann accused of sexual misconduct
- Newcastle United Confirms Partnership with Sela for Multi-Year Sponsorship
- Newcastle United announces front-of-shirt partnership with Sela
- Former Conservative minister Nadine Dorries to stand down as MP
- Belmont Park to Resume Racing After Improved Air Quality Conditions
- 2023 Belmont Stakes Odds: Expert handicapper shares top picks and bets
- How ‘Never Have I Ever’ Nails Realistic College Admissions Drama
- Summer Game Fest 2023: Biggest Announcements and Best Trailers
- Lexus Unveils Redesigned Off-Roading SUV, the GX 2024
- Pat Robertson, televangelist who united Evangelical Christians with Republican Party, dies at 93
- Kelis Puts Family First on Vacation Amid Rumored Romance with Bill Murray
- Novak Djokovic Advances to French Open Final
- Uruguay and Italy to Compete in FIFA U20 World Cup Final
- Small Doctor Says Mr Eazi Is The Wealthiest Person He Has Encountered In The Industry
- “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Premieres in London
- The Autobots Are Back! “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Battles at the Box Office
- Real Madrid Announces the Signing of Fran García for the Next Four Seasons
- Real Madrid sign Fran Garcia as first signing of the summer
- Erling Haaland Feels Pressure to Deliver Champions League for Manchester City
- sport: Liverpool’s signing of Alexis Mac Allister reflects club’s focus on resilience and versatility
- Vin Diesel Confirms Release Date of Fast X Part 2
- Vin Diesel Announces Release Date for Fast & Furious 11: Part 2
- Vernon Adams and Dominique Rhymes lead B.C. Lions to win over Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Novak Djokovic Takes on Carlos Alcaraz in French Open Semi-Finals
- David Moyes to Discuss West Ham’s Future with Chairman After Europa Conference League Win
- El Niño Occurring in Pacific Ocean Could Bring Record Heat in 2024
- Dua Lipa’s Best Deep Cuts Worth a Listen
- Liverpool ECHO Launches WhatsApp Group for LFC Fans
- Dua Lipa Debuts Versace Collection at Cannes Film Festival
- Liverpool in talks to sign Nice midfielder Marcus Thuram
- Sam Fender to Play Two Homecoming Shows at Newcastle’s United Stadium
- Suspension of Shadow Foreign Minister Bambos Charalambous as a Labour MP
- Denver Broncos Sign Frank Clark to One-Year Deal Following Baron Browning’s Knee Surgery
- Celebrating National Best Friends Day and the Importance of Friendship
- The New York Yankees Face off against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium
- Zion Williamson Accused of Being a Sex Addict by Another Woman
- Swedish Sports Confederation Debunks Viral Claim That Sex Is Now a Sport
- Rapper Yung6ix Says He, Wizkid and Olamide Hit Stardom Before Davido
- CFL players mandated to wear Guardian Caps in training camp
- French knife attack leaves two toddlers injured, nation pays tribute to hero
- Arnold Schwarzenegger recalls his reaction to the flop of “Last Action Hero”
- FIH organizes “National Associations summit” to develop the future of hockey
- Taurine Deficiency May Be a Driver of Aging, According to a New Study
- Remembering Willi Ninja: The Godfather of Voguing
- The Profile of Tom Willander: A Strong Two-Way Defenseman Prospect
- Manhunt Season 1: ITV Drama deals with haunting murder case
- The Potential ‘Elixir of Life’: Taurine Found in Energy Drinks
- El Niño Emerges in the Pacific Ocean, Potentially Bringing Record Heat in 2024
- Fortnite Chapter 4 Season 3 Patch Notes Revealed: What to Expect from the Latest Season
- Kelis opens up about her husband’s passing and her wellness journey
- Review of “Based on a True Story” on Peacock
- El Niño Brings Hotter Temperatures and Worsens Climate Change Effects
- Japan’s Weather Bureau Says El Nino Likely Forming
- Russian Citizen Killed in Shark Attack at Egyptian Red Sea Resort