Metro

Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada

Published

on


The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has begun the demolition of about 102 houses built along waterways, following the recent flood incident which had claimed some lives in the Gwagwalada Area Council.


Garba Kwamkur, Deputy Director, Monitoring and Enforcement, Department of Department Control, who led the exercise on Tuesday in Gwagwalada, said that the illegal houses had been marked for demolition over one year ago.

Kwamkur noted that the occupants of the effected houses were given enough time to move out of the flood-prone areas, adding, however, that they had refused to obey the directive.

He said that government could not spare the houses anymore, following the recent forecast of more rains and consequential flooding that would affect the area.

Kwamkur explained that the affected community was part of the land covering about 260 hectares, allocated within the Abuja Master Plan, for the development of the University of Abuja at Gwagwalada.

He, however, expressed the regret that some indigenous people and other squatters were still occupying the land temporarily.

“The University of Abuja had written to us about the encroachment issue. The settlement here that is due for resettlement has grown beyond its boundary.

“And we had issue of flood last week where five persons, who were carried away by the flood, were confirmed dead.

“We actually had to discuss with the village leaders on the need to move away from the flood-prone area,” he said.

“The FCT Emergency Management Agency has also predicted that there would be heavy flood this year.

“So we are making some precautionary measures; that’s why all the buildings along flood plains will have to go.

“All the contravention notices have been issued since 2019. No government will sit down and do nothing when the lives of its citizens are being threatened by either flood or any other thing,” he said.

Responding, the Chief of the community, Mr Isah Egari, said that he was not opposed to the demolition of the houses built on water channels.

Egari, however, appealed to the FCT administration to give the residents more time to move out from the affected community.

He also called on the demolition team to restrict the bulldozers to the areas close to the water channels to avoid undue hardship on other residents who were not affected.

Edited By: Chioma Ugboma and (NAN)‘Wale Sadeeq

https://nnn.ng/flood-fcta-demolishes-102-houses-in-gwagwalada/

COVID-19

NCDC records 97 new COVID-19 infections, total cases now 57, 242

Published

on


The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has recorded  97 new coronavirus (COVID-19) infections in the country, bringing the total confirmed cases to 57, 242 nationwide.


The NCDC disclosed this on its official twitter handle on Sunday .

It added that three persons died of COVID-19 complications while 138 patients, who recovered at various isolation centres across the country the same day, were discharged.

Based on the figures released, Lagos state recorded the highest number of infections with 46 new cases.

The data released also indicated that Kwara recorded 12 new infections, Rivers 11, and Adamawa 4.

Others were Niger – 4, Ogun – 4, Osun – 4, Ekiti – 3, Imo – 3, Kaduna – 3, Plateau – 2, and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) – 1.

According to the NCDC, the 36 states and FCT have now recorded at least one confirmed case of the virus.

“Till date, 57, 242 cases have been confirmed, 48, 569 cases have been discharged, and 1,098 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the FCT,” the centre said.

NCDC stated that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level 3, has continued  to coordinate the national response activities across the country.

Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/ncdc-records-97-new-covid-19-infections-total-cases-now-57-242/
Continue Reading

Sport

Nasarawa state to host teqball championship in November, official says

Published

on


Ndudi Edede, Secretary-General of Nigerian Teqball Federation (NTF), says Nasarawa state will host the first edition of the National Teqball Challengers Series scheduled to kick off on Nov. 7.


Edede disclosed this to newsmen in Abuja on Sunday after a meeting between the federation’s national and state officials.

He urged Nasarawa state officials to step up preparations for the series.

”Nasarawa state will serve as a litmus test for the series in view of the fact that the 2020 series will be the maiden series in the country since the commencement of the sport in Nigeria.”

Edede said the first phase of the event would be held on Nov. 7 and Nov. 8 and would provide an opportunity for youths to learn something new.

He added that the second phase of the event would then hold on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11 also in Lafia.

“We had Nasarawa state and the FCT bidding for the hosting rights, and now we are certain that this event will take place in Lafia.

“The national challengers series is a qualifier for the Teqball World Cup slated for Europe towards the late part of this year. So, I am sure Lafia will be a good host,” Edede said.

Speaking also, Promise Uwaeme, NTF’s Director of Competition, said the event in Lafia would be streamed live internationally.

He added that athletes from various states of the country would compete in the singles and doubles events of the competition’s  male and female categories

Uwaeme added that winners in various categories would represent Nigeria at the international level.

“Teqball is an interesting game and you have to be skillful to play teqball. It is played on a curved table with a regular certified ball. You can play with all parts of the body apart from the hands.

“Then the championship will help our players to get world ranking,” he said.

David Allu, The Nasarawa State Chairman of NTF, expressed happiness with the hosting rights given to the state.

He assured the national officials of a strong synergy between the state’s Ministry of Youths and Sports and the NTF, saying this would ensure the events were a huge success.

“We are quite excited that we will be the first state to host this Challengers Series in the country and we will put in our best to collaborate with the state Ministry of Sports to see that we get a befitting venue and get all the arrangements to host this tournament done.”

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that teqball is a ball sport played on a curved table, combining elements of football and table tennis.

Back and forth, the players hit a football with any part of the body except arms and hands.

Teqball can be played between two players as a singles game, or between four players as a doubles game.

The game is represented at an international level by the International Federation of Teqball (FITEQ).

OB/

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/nasarawa-state-to-host-teqball-championship-in-november-official-says/
Continue Reading

General news

NAWOJ National Election: Akingbehin launches campaign Oct. 2

Published

on


Senior Editor Ayaba Omobolanle Akingbehin, who is contesting the Vice President’s seat, Zone B, of the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ), is to launch her campaign on Friday, Oct. 2.


The NAWOJ election is to hold on Nov. 11, in Minna, Niger State.

A statement by Akingbehin-For-VP Campaign Council, announced on Sunday in Lagos that Mrs Abosede Adelaja, the Assistant Secretary, NAWOJ, Lagos State chapter, is the Campaign Coordinator for Lagos.

It said that Modupeola Sobukonla, Chairperson, Ogun NAWOJ, would coordinate other states in the zone that comprises of Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Osun, Ondo and Ekiti.

It said that the candidate’s vision was to ensure that NAWOJ South-West, B-Zone, remained an indivisible entity while focusing on training and retraining of the female journalists in the zone.

“l will focus more on developmental programmes and trainings.

“When elected, l will ensure that NAWOJ South-West, B Zone, stands on truth and fairness,” the statement quoted Akingehin as saying.

She appealed to other contestants across the country to make their campaigns issue-based and avoid attack on personalities.

Akingbehin, former Secretary, FCT NAWOJ, is currently the chairman of the News Agency of Nigeria Correspondents Chapel in Lagos.

Edited By: Abiodun Esan and Ephraims Sheyin
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/nawoj-national-election-akingbehin-launches-campaign-oct-2/
Continue Reading

Metro

FCTA moves to reposition fire service to boost service delivery

Published

on


The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), has begun strategic moves to reposition the FCT Fire Service to improved service delivery and revenue generation.


Director, FCT Fire Service, Mr Julius Opetunsin, made this known in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

Opetunsin also expressed determination of the FCTA, to refocus the efforts of the service on fire prevention and enforcement, instead of fire fighting.

According to him, once people know what to do to prevent fire outbreak, there would be reduction in the number of incidences.

“We want to ensure that each house has at least, one fire extinguisher, among other fire gadgets.

“Between January and March 2020, FCT Fire Service responded to about 180 fire cases.

“So, up to August ending, we responded to about 356 fire cases, without any casualty, largely due to our prompt response,” he said.

He said that the Federal Executive Council, recently approved the purchase of four water tankers and four water tenders.

He said part of the equipment have already been received while others are being awaited by the end of September.

He explained that fire extinguisher was not difficult to use, adding that it was a different thing to have fire extinguisher and it was another thing to know how to use it.

“Before using it, you have to remove the safety pins, if not removed, you will not be able to press the lever.

“It is then, you will push either the powder or carbon dioxide out of the cylinder, while directing the nozzle to the seat of the fire, you don’t fight the fire at the surface.

“Note that you only use fire extinguisher at the initial stage of fire outbreak when the fire is small; you don’t use it when the fire is getting out of control.

” At that point, you call the fire service because there is limit to what an individual can do.

That is why it is necessary for you to have our control room numbers, which are 092906118 or 112. Then contact the nearest station.”

He advised each home in the FCT, to have a functional fire extinguisher, always put off electrical appliances and remove them from the socket when leaving offices and homes.

He also warned against prolonged use of air-conditioners.

Edited By: Bola Akingbehin/Felix Ajide
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/fcta-moves-to-reposition-fire-service-to-boost-service-delivery/
Continue Reading

Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19 Ember month: FRSC sensitise motorists on traffic rules in Kano Court remands woman over alleged armed robbery Emir of Lafia urges parents to give priority to girl-child education Tokyo 2020 consulting firm paid around $370,000 to Diack’s son – report 2 men in court over alleged theft of N18.6m of roofing sheets Environmentalist harps on mitigation of climate change effects Police arraign 2 over alleged unlawful possession of firearm ENSG woos investors to beautiful tourist sites Driver in court for allegedly stealing N2m truck UAE, Israeli film bodies sign agreement, plan regional film festival ‘Watchmen,’ ‘Schitt’s Creek’ rule at virtual Emmys with pandemic and political twists Nigeria to participate in agriculture transformation initiative -FAO Plaque symbolising defiance against Thai monarchy vanishes INEC result, true reflection of Edo people’s choice – Group KDSG attracts 25 new business worth $500m – El-Rufai  Security: FRSC tasks officers on accurate database of vehicles EFCC, Unilorin collaborate on financial crimes Babatope congratulates Obaseki, praises Buhari for free and fair polls Cricket Federation hopes to complete phase 1 of oval construction in November — Official Victims seek help as rainstorm renders many homeless in Kwara Kebbi LGA distributes relief materials to flood victims Obaseki’s victory indicates new political era – Oyebode Norwegian survey shows 77% displaced people have lost jobs, income due to COVID-19 Financial expert advises CBN on interest rates as MPC holds NASSI lauds FG on forex ban for food importers We are not deterred by COVID-19 to mark [email protected] – NUTAG Ife begins Olojo festival as Ooni enters 7-day seclusion Aston Villa sign forward Traore from Lyon for 18 million euros Re-election: PDP South Africa chapter congratulates Obaseki Russia conducts its largest 2020 military exercise in Caucasus Pakistan resumes polio vaccination drive after hiatus due to pandemic Court remands man over alleged defilement of his 9-year-old sister-in-law EU Diplomats to discuss ways to support Libyan ceasefire on Monday – Borrell UN to mark 75th anniversary with largely online event Oil prices slip on potential return of Libyan output; Gulf storm supports Emir of Zazzau, a man of intelligence, astuteness-Minister WASSCE: Delta Govt sanctions 41 teachers over alleged exam malpractice BHP in talks with three firms for LNG bunker supply contract – Executive Kaduna Govt declares 3 days mourning for late Emir of Zazzau Former BBNaija housemate Ozo appreciate fans for love, support Group lauds Buhari on Edo Governorship poll MURIC mourns Emir of Zazzau Kwara records 12 new cases of COVID-19, discharges 23 patients Ganduje mourns Emir of Zazzau 7 killed, 4 injured iñ ‘massacre’ in south-western Colombia E! hosts skip Emmys red carpet after testing positive for COVID-19 Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Italy votes in referendum on downsizing parliament