Uruguayan international midfielder Giorgian De Arrascaeta scored one goal and scored another as defending champion Flamengo came in from behind to beat compatriot Internacional 2-1 in the Brazilian Serie A league on Sunday.
The result saw Flamengo overtake Internacional at the top of the 20-team table with one round of matches to go.
Rogerio Ceni’s side will secure consecutive top-flight crowns for the first time since 1982-83 if they beat Sao Paulo away on the last day of the season on Thursday.
Internacional, meanwhile, can end a 42-year drought for the Serie A title if they beat the Corinthians at home and Flamengo fail to win.
Edenilson gave Internacional the lead at Maracana Stadium by converting a 12th-minute penalty before Arrascaeta first shot with his weaker left foot after a Bruno Henrique cross from the left.
Internacional was reduced to 10 men just after half-time when Rodinei received a red card for trampling defender Filipe Luis.
Gabriel Barbosa then gave Flamengo the lead, running on a balloon from Arrascaeta and sweeping the house eight meters.
In other encounters on Sunday, Gremio beat Athletico Paranaense 1-0, Fluminense drew 1-1 in Santos, Vasco da Gama held the Corinthians to a goalless draw in Sao Paulo, Atletico Mineiro won 3-2 at Sport Recife and Goias drew 0-0 at home in Bragantino.
- The Qhubeka ASSOS team excites by igniting the Samyn
- Club Swan offers an alternative solution to buy crypto in Africa
- WFP calls for solution to fuel shortages in Yemen threatening to worsen widespread food insecurity
- Health center rehabilitated, mobile clinics deployed to support the refugee crisis in eastern Sudan
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (March 1, 2021)
- Statement by UNICEF Nigeria Representative Peter Hawkins on the release of abducted schoolgirls in Jangebe, Zamfara State, Nigeria
- UNHCR to relocate thousands of Central African refugees to safer places
- Rising violence in Nigeria drives displacement to Niger
- Coronavirus – Uganda: COVID-19 update (March 1, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Sierra Leone: Chinese Ambassador Hu Zhangliang presents COVID-19 vaccines to President of Sierra Leone Julius Maada Bio