Uruguayan international midfielder Giorgian De Arrascaeta scored one goal and scored another as defending champion Flamengo came in from behind to beat compatriot Internacional 2-1 in the Brazilian Serie A league on Sunday.
The result saw Flamengo overtake Internacional at the top of the 20-team table with one round of matches to go.
Rogerio Ceni’s side will secure consecutive top-flight crowns for the first time since 1982-83 if they beat Sao Paulo away on the last day of the season on Thursday.
Internacional, meanwhile, can end a 42-year drought for the Serie A title if they beat the Corinthians at home and Flamengo fail to win.
Edenilson gave Internacional the lead at Maracana Stadium by converting a 12th-minute penalty before Arrascaeta first shot with his weaker left foot after a Bruno Henrique cross from the left.
Internacional was reduced to 10 men just after half-time when Rodinei received a red card for trampling defender Filipe Luis.
Gabriel Barbosa then gave Flamengo the lead, running on a balloon from Arrascaeta and sweeping the house eight meters.
In other encounters on Sunday, Gremio beat Athletico Paranaense 1-0, Fluminense drew 1-1 in Santos, Vasco da Gama held the Corinthians to a goalless draw in Sao Paulo, Atletico Mineiro won 3-2 at Sport Recife and Goias drew 0-0 at home in Bragantino.
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (February 23, 2021)
- Raubenheimer satisfied with Bok Women’s progress
- Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (February 23, 2021)
- The first doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were delivered to Ghana via COVAX
- The Government of Pakistan and the International Islamic Trade Finance Corporation signed an annual financing plan amounting to US $ 1.1 billion
- Coronavirus – Uganda: COVID-19 update (February 23, 2021)
- NaturalShrimp Signs Letter of Intent to Acquire Aquaculture Assets from Hydrenesis Aquaculture, LLC
- Telecoming partners with Ounousa to enrich its mobile offering with entertainment content for women
- Zimbabwe’s First Lady congratulates Senator Dr Rasha Kelej on her nomination as African Woman of the Year 2020
- Brooklyn’s Harden and Phoenix’s Paul Main Reserves for 2021 NBA All-Star Game