Uruguayan international midfielder Giorgian De Arrascaeta scored one goal and scored another as defending champion Flamengo came in from behind to beat compatriot Internacional 2-1 in the Brazilian Serie A league on Sunday.
The result saw Flamengo overtake Internacional at the top of the 20-team table with one round of matches to go.
Rogerio Ceni’s side will secure consecutive top-flight crowns for the first time since 1982-83 if they beat Sao Paulo away on the last day of the season on Thursday.
Internacional, meanwhile, can end a 42-year drought for the Serie A title if they beat the Corinthians at home and Flamengo fail to win.
Edenilson gave Internacional the lead at Maracana Stadium by converting a 12th-minute penalty before Arrascaeta first shot with his weaker left foot after a Bruno Henrique cross from the left.
Internacional was reduced to 10 men just after half-time when Rodinei received a red card for trampling defender Filipe Luis.
Gabriel Barbosa then gave Flamengo the lead, running on a balloon from Arrascaeta and sweeping the house eight meters.
In other encounters on Sunday, Gremio beat Athletico Paranaense 1-0, Fluminense drew 1-1 in Santos, Vasco da Gama held the Corinthians to a goalless draw in Sao Paulo, Atletico Mineiro won 3-2 at Sport Recife and Goias drew 0-0 at home in Bragantino.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3y3u
- NSF: Edo wins men’s team event in gymnastics
- How Kogi handles security challenges — Bello
- Amaechi urges contractors to hasten Lagos-Ibadan rail project
- Prince Philip’s funeral to be held on April 17 – Buckingham Palace
- COVID-19: NCDC confirms 84 new infections from 13 States
- Gov. Buni losses grandmother – NEWS AGENCY OF NIGERIA
- Sanwo-Olu pledges to intensify support for Lagos City Marathon
- NSF: Kwara picks 3 medals in Darts
- UNwomen train 120 Gender Based Violence