By Funmilayo Adeyemi
Education Minister Malam Adamu Adamu, who gave the pledge during a meeting with ASUP leaders in Abuja, however said some of the issues have been resolved.
Adamu said one of the problems was President Muhammadu Buhari‘s approval of the constitution of polytechnic boards of trustees, which he said would be inaugurated soon.
The Nigeria News Agency (NAN) reports that ASUP on Tuesday embarked on indefinite industrial action for what it described as the government’s refusal to respond to its demands.
ASUP President Anderson Ezeibe explained that the union had declared strike action because of the dismal state of public polytechnics, monotechnics and the general breakdown of the sub-sector.
Ezeibe expressed his displeasure that the federal government has not responded to a series of letters addressed to it on the matter since the expiration of the union’s ultimatum issued in March 2020.
He said ASUP had gone on strike for the non-release of the 10-month minimum wage arrears owed to members of federal polytechnics and the non-application of the same in several public institutions.
He said other union demands included the non-reconstitution of boards of directors, leading to disruption of administrative processes at polytechnics since May 2020 and victimization of union officials at some public polytechnics.
Ezeibe, while answering questions after the meeting, said the strike would continue until the union’s demands are met, but reaffirmed the union’s commitment to dialogue with the federal government.
He called on members of the public to show understanding and support the union’s efforts to save the polytechnic sub-sector from total collapse. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yDO
- FG’s flagship freight services from Warri to Itakpe
- JAMB Registrar prohibits parents from accessing UTME sites
- Coronavirus – Gambia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Turkey bans payments with cryptocurrencies
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Announcement from the Ministry of Health (April 15, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Zambia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Nigeria: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)
- Rugby sevens match officials revealed for Tokyo Olympics 100 days to go
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (April 15, 2021)