This is contained in a statement Mr Oladapo Soneye, spokesman of the Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF) issued on Sunday.
Soneye said the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework will hold on Aug.10 and Aug.11,2020 through a webinar.
“The priorities for the consultation will be centered on Biodiversity on the African continent with the hope of mobilising regional efforts to deliver biodiversity protection and resource mobilisation toward achieving the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
Soneye added that the Regional Consultation with the theme “Strengthening the African Position Ahead of the OEGW-3 Meeting” would be declared open by Dr Muhammed Mahmood, the Minister of the Environment.
He said that Mrs Elizabeth Mrema, Executive Secretary of the UN Convention on Biodiversity and Chief Sharon Ikeazor, Minister of State on Environment would deliver papers during the webinar.
“As part of the Regional Consultation, all ECOWAS member states will have the opportunity to reach a common position toward the protection, restoration, and preservation of biodiversity across West Africa.
“Although the Regional Consultation is a CBD Party-driven discussion, it will also give opportunities for selected development partners, Intergovernmental Organizations and environmental NGOs to make input ,” he said.
Soneye listed them to include the African Union Commission; African Development Bank; African Group of Negotiators on Biodiversity; Canadian, German and US Embassies.
He added that the British High Commission; Australia High Commission; United Nations Environmental Programmes; AUDA–NEPAD, SADC, CEEAC, EAC; Birdlife International and others would participate in the webinar.
Edited By: Shuaib Sadiq/Peter Dada (NAN)https://nnn.ng/fg-ecowas-to-host-biodiversity-consultation-on-environmental-protection/
7 killed, 4 injured iñ ‘massacre’ in south-western Colombia
Seven people were killed and four others injured in an attack in south-western Colombia on Sunday, local media reported.
“Seven young people … were massacred with grenades and gunshots,” Senator Temistocles Ortega told broadcaster Caracol.
The attack happened in Munchique, in the south-western state of Cauca.
“You have no alternatives in Cauca,” Ortega said, adding that those who live there are “exposed to criminals of all types.”
Army spokesman Marco Vinicio Mayorga told the broadcaster that the crime was “preliminarily attributed” to the Jaime Martinez column, which emerged from the 2016 demobilisation of the guerrilla movement FARC and operates in the area.
The country’s ombudsman for human rights condemned the Cauca events on Twitter, saying: “We urgently need to eradicate the … violence which affect rights and constantly endanger the lives of Colombians.”
More than 240 people have died in 60 massacres – defined as killings of at least three people – in the country so far this year, according to the NGO Indepaz, which monitors the violence.
According to the NGO, the Munchique attack was the eleventh this month alone.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Australian, British citizen killed in Solomon Islands bomb blast
An Australian man and his British colleague were killed on Sunday night in a bomb blast in the Solomon Islands, local police said.
“We are devastated by what has happened, and for the loss of two good colleagues,” NPA’s secretary general Henriette Killi Westhrin said in a statement.
The aid agency named the men as Trent Lee (Australian) and Stephen Atkinson (British citizen).
The Royal Solomon Islands Police Force (RSIPF) are investigating the incident and urged residents in West Honiara to stay away from the area.
“We call on members of the public in the Tasahe area of West Honiara to please stay well away from the area of the incident and allow RSIPF officers to do their work as we investigate this tragic incident,” police spokesperson Clifford Tunuki said.
The NPA said it had been working on a project with the government to locate unexploded bombs.
Its activities in Solomon Islands have temporarily been put on hold.
Tunuki confirmed no RSIPF officers were present at the time of the blast, “despite the fact that we work together on the Project.”
“On behalf of the RSIPF, I wish to convey my sincere condolences to families and relatives of those two foreign nationals, who died in this tragic incident,” he added.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Buhari holds closed-door meeting with Ghanaian president at Aso Villa
President Muhammadu Buhari on Sunday night met behind closed doors with President Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Bashir Ahmad, the President’s Personal Assistant on New Media, confirmed this on his Twitter handle.
The presidential aide, who could not elaborate on the agenda of the meeting between the two leaders, however, posted pictures in which the Nigerian leader could be seen escorting his guest after the meeting.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the closure of shops owned by Nigerian traders in Ghana had heightened tensions between the two countries, a situation which led the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama to summon Ghana’s Charge d Affaires to Nigeria, Ms Iva Denoo for discussions.
Onyeama had also met with representatives of Nigerian traders in Ghana, led by Jasper Emenike, the National President of Progressive Ambassadors of Nigeria (PAN), and the organisation’s National Director, Ruth Ango over the matter.
The Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, had also visited Ghana on Sept. 2 with a view to seeing how the issues at stake could be resolved amicably.
According to the speaker, the closure of the Nigerian shops in Ghana contravenes the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) protocol on free movement of citizens of member states, and trade liberalisation scheme.
NAN reports that the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS) adopted in 1979 with an agreement on agricultural, artisanal handicrafts, and unprocessed products, and extended to industrial products in 1990, is the main framework for trade and market integration in ECOWAS as it addresses protocols on the free movement of goods, persons, and transportation.
The scheme’s main pursuit of consolidating the free trade area is guided by the National Approval Committee that informs the member states.
Similarly, Article (3) of the Revised Treaty of ECOWAS on trade and market integration stipulates the removal of trade barriers and harmonisation of trade policies for the establishment of a Free Trade Area, a Customs Union, a Common Market and an eventual culmination in to a Monetary and Economic Union in West Africa.
NAN further reports that the Ghanaian government had proposed a meeting between the two leaders prior to the one they held behind closed doors on Sunday.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Health workers suspend 7-day nationwide warning strike
Members of the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU), have suspended their seven-day nationwide warning strike.
Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, JOHESU National Chairman, made this known in a statement at the end of its expanded National Executive Council meeting on Sunday in Abuja.
Biobelemoye directed all members of the union to resume work by Sept. 21 and also await further directives.
The union demands included disparity in the payment of hazard and inducement allowances to workers in the frontline containing the spread of COVID-19 among others.
“This is to bring to your notice that the 7-day nationwide warning strike embarked upon by the members of the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) would come to an end midnight of today, Sept. 20.
“By this notice, all health workers under the five Unions that make up Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) and Assembly of Healthcare Professional Associations (AHPA) shall return to work on Monday, Sept. 21, 2020 across all Federal Health Institutions in the country.
“However, the Federal Government through the Ministry of Health has continued to exhibit high level of bias/discrimination by refusing to address the demands of our members as presented by JOHESU within the seven days of the warning strike as was done to other bodies in the health sector.
“The next line of action would be decided in due course by the expanded National Executive Council of JOHESU.”
He also alleged that rather than call JOHESU for dialogue to resolve the trade dispute, the Federal Government resorted to intimidation and blackmail of the union leaders using all forms of instruments and faceless organisations.
He further said that JOHESU would continue to use all legitimate means to defend the rights and demands for the welfare of its members in the health sector.
“Nigerians should bear us witness that JOHESU has shown high patriotism by demanding that public health system in Nigeria is sustained and adequately financed for effective, efficient and affordable healthcare service delivery.
“In view of the above and in line with the resolution of the expanded NEC meeting held physically and virtually today, Sunday, Sept. 20, 2020, I hereby declare that the seven days warning strike is suspended.
“All our members are directed to resume work by Monday, Sept. 21, 2020 while awaiting further directives.
“Finally, I wish to thank all the leaders at all strata and members for their commitment, selflessness, cooperation and resilience during the seven days warning strike,” he said.
Edited By: Dianabasi Effiong/Felix Ajide