The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) on Wednesday, gave insight into why it installed 36 new signages and removed 2,747 others.
Briefing newsmen, the Director, Department of Outdoor Advertising and Signage, Dr Babagana Adam, explained that the new signages were installed to ensure standardisation and environmental protection.
He said FCT as a nation’s capital, needed to meet up with international standards and would not be taken over by illegal signage littering the streets.
The director added that the illegal ones removed were a threat to security and waste in the city.
“We have installed 36 signage in the city, 2, 747 illegal ones have been removed. This is to help bring about standardisation, regulations and environmental control.
“The department is not against anyone’s progress but to ensure that right things are put in place for the good of all,” Adam said.
On the revenue drive, the director disclosed that the department in the last six months, generated N500 million against the three years that only N333 million was raised.
“When I assumed office, the revenue generated in three years, 2016, 2017 and 2018 was just N333 million, but within my first six months or less, I was able to generate about N500 million.
” This shows that the potential of FCT generating revenue is massive and impressive,” he said.
Adam urged cooperate bodies and relevant stakeholders to support the department in its quest to ensure sanity in the FCT.
According to him, the 36 signage installed so far have generated about 50,000 jobs for residents.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Sadiya Hamza
NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Saturday.
“As at Sept. 19, 2020, 189 new confirmed cases and one death was recorded in Nigeria.
“Till date, 57,145 cases have been confirmed, 48,431 cases have been discharged and 1,095 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.
The agency stated that the 189 new infections were reported from 15 states of the federation.
“Lagos (70), Plateau (37), FCT (24), Kaduna (19), Rivers (12), Oyo (5), Ogun (4), Ebonyi (3), Katsina (3), Ondo (3), Osun (3), Imo (2), Yobe (2), Ekiti (1), Nasarawa (1),” it said.
The agency said that cloth masks provide protection when properly worn and cared for.
“Wear mask covering your nose and mouth, handle mask with clean hands and wash cloth face masks after each use.
“MaskOnNaija with other preventive measures. Learn how to make your own face mask: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/media/files/DI… ,” it advised.
“TakeResponsibility and adhere to all non pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19 if you must travel,“ it said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujini/Sadiya Hamza
FEMA alerts Abuja residents of severe flood
The Director-General of FEMA, Alhaji Abbas Idriss, issued the alert in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.
Idriss said the red alert became necessary following rainfall and repeated floods being witnessed in different parts of the country and around the FCT,
Idriss said though FCT was not on the red alert, but could be at the risk of heavier flooding because of its closeness to neighboring red line States.
He assured that the agency was prepared to handle any eventuality that may arise.
“As we speak, about nine rivers in nine countries are discharging their contents from their rivers which will eventually flows into River Niger and settles at Lokoja,” he said.
He called on residents living around the riverine and flood-prone areas of the FCT to move to higher grounds, clear their water channels and drainages.
Idriss also enjoined the residents to avoid dumping refuse on water ways and avoid walking or driving through flooded water to keep safe.
“What we are about to witness from now on is ‘river flooding’ and this is going to be heavier and more forceful than the flash flood we experienced earlier,” he warned.
Idriss, therefore, stressed the need for residents to take personal responsibility of the safety of their environment, saying ” disaster management is an all-inclusive effort from both the government and the governed.”
He assured residents of the agency’s efforts to work with all the relevant stakeholders to mitigate any possible effect of flooding in the FCT.
The DG said that the agency had strengthened its Ambassadors (FEMA volunteers/Vanguards) in all the area councils to be able to sensitise their people using town criers and other indigenous means of communication.
” This will enable them to drive the message home, in the bid to minimise loss of lives and properties.”
He added that FEMA had also mounted reflective billboards at various flood prone points warning off and cautioning residents from these danger areas.
Idriss challenged religious leaders, community heads and well- meaning Nigerians in authority to take responsibility of the public education and sensitisation of people around them.
” Especially those living close to flood prone areas to move to higher grounds for safety and to always call the national toll-free emergency number 112 for prompt response of any emergency.”,he said.
He said flood could catch up with anybody, anywhere, citing the example of the victim of Trademoore Estate ,Lugbe, a visitor in the Estate that was swept off by flood water.
Edited By: Buhari Bolaji/Sadiya Hamza
Osinbajo inaugurates fashion cluster shared facility for MSMEs in Lagos
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Friday performed the virtual inauguration of the Fashion Cluster Shared Facility for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises(MSMEs), the Eko Fashion Hub 1, in Lagos State.
Laolu Akande, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Office of the Vice President, disclosed this in a statement in Abuja.
Osinbajo said that the Federal Government remained deeply committed to creating a more business friendly environment for MSMEs to thrive, as they were the engine room of the Nigerian economy.
According to the Vice President, the Economic Sustainability Plan (ESP), has in it, a Survival Fund for MSMEs.
“Under the Survival Fund is a Payroll Support Scheme, which will provide up to N50,000 in monthly salaries for up to 10 staff of a qualifying business, for a period of three months.
“There is also a N50,000 grant for 100,000 small and medium-scale businesses, while 333,000 self-employed persons working as artisans and transporters will benefit from a one-off grant of N30,000.
“The President has also approved that the Federal Government bear the full cost of business name registration for 250,000 new businesses nationwide.
“We are doing all these to support MSMEs across the country to maintain their staffing levels and keep their businesses afloat through these very challenging times.”
The Vice President said the Buhari administration’s commitment to the success of small businesses was evident in its MSMEs Clinics initiative.
Osinbajo said that the clinics extended business support services to small businesses across the country, of which the MSMEs Shared Facility Scheme was a core component.
“The Eko facility, which was developed through collaboration between the Federal Government, the Lagos State Government, and the Organised Private Sector, is an end-to-end fashion production centre equipped with needed machinery and will be made available to the public under a shared facility style structure.
“When MSMEs thrive the economy thrives, when they struggle, the economy struggles.
“MSMEs’ Shared Facility Scheme being implemented by the Federal Government under the National MSMEs Clinics seeks to provide high-quality operating equipment, which small businesses can access at a reasonable cost, within a conducive space,’’ he said.
According to the Vice President, the facilities will help to reduce operating costs for users, allowing them to invest the savings in expanding their businesses and hiring more staff.
The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, who was physically present at the event in Ikeja, commended the President and Vice President for supporting the scheme.
He said that there were plans to replicate the same in other parts of the state.
There are 161 machines at the EKO facility, including 74 industrial straight sewing machines, 10 industrial steam pressing irons, four monogramming machines, eight industrial button-hole and five industrial button tacking machines.
It also has Tinko and Coil machines, heming and industrial weaving machines, among others.
The Facility has a 100kva standby generator and a 2kva solar power system.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, Mariam Katagum, Managing Director, Access Bank, Herbert Wigwe and the Special Assistant to the President on MSMEs, Tola Johnson joined the event.
Others were the CEO, Bank of Industry, Mr Olukayode Pitan, Director-General, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency (SMEDAN), Dr Dikko Umaru Radda, Registrar General, Corporate Affairs Commission, Alhaji Garba Abubakar and Managing Director, NEXIM Bank, Abba Bello.
Dr Lola Akande, Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Industry and Cooperatives among other government functionaries also attended the event.
Osinbajo had in June, virtually inaugurated and handed over the 200,000-capacity Yam Storage Facility at the Zaki Biam International Yam Market in Benue State.
He had said there were also plans to establish similar facilities in other parts of the country, including in Kaduna, Anambra and the FCT.
Edited By: Felix Ajide
Businessman in court over alleged N1m job scam
A 32-year-old businessman, Usman Rilwan,who allegedly defrauded a job seeker of N1 million, on Friday appeared in a Life Camp Magistrates’ Court.
The police charged Rilwan, who lives in City Centre Plaza Gimbiya, street Area 11, Garki, with criminal breach of trust and cheating.
He alleged that early in the year, the defendant told the complainant that he can get a job for him at the Department of Petroleum Resource (DPR) if he can pay N4 million.
Ejike alleged that both parties signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), stating that the payment would be done in two installments of N2million through bank transfers.
He alleged that the MoU also states that the defendant would refund the money to the complainant if he breaches the agreement.
The prosecutor alleged that on March 24, the complainant transferred N2 million as the first installment from his First Bank account 2027809509 to Access Bank account 0107549258 belonging to the defendant.
Ejike told the court that in May, the defendant told the complainant that the appointment letter would be ready on June 20, buy he failed to delver.
He said that the defendant refunded N1million and all efforts to recover the balance of N1million, failed,
The prosecutor said the offence contravened the provisions of section 312 and 322 of the Penal Code.
The defendant, pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Magistrate Chinyere Nwecheonwu admitted the defendant to bail and ordered that he provides two sureties.
Nwecheonwu ordered the sureties must be resident within the jurisdiction of the court; they should deposit their recent passport photograph and a valid means of identification to the court.
The magistrate adjourned the matter until Nov.18, for hearing.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza