Families of 9/11 victims to protest at Masters golf tournament over Saudi Arabian sponsorship
Families express outrage at LIV Tour golfers’ participation
A group of family members of victims of the 9/11 terror attacks will hold an event in Atlanta next week to protest the Masters’ decision to allow LIV Tour golfers to play in the tournament.
The LIV Golf Tour and Saudi Arabia’s alleged role in 9/11 attacks
The LIV Golf Tour is an upstart rival league to the PGA owned by the Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund. Saudi Arabia has been accused of assisting the terrorists who committed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, but it has repeatedly denied those accusations.
“Any allegation that Saudi Arabia is complicit in the September 11 attacks is categorically false,” the Saudi Embassy said in 2021.
Request for a meeting with Augusta National Golf Club chairman
The chair of 9/11 Families United, Terry Strada, formally requested a meeting with the Augusta National Golf Club chairman before the Masters tournament starts at the legendary Georgia course next week.
“The decision is yours. I hope you will consider my request to speak with you ahead of the tournament so that I may educate you about the potential harm caused by normalizing the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and giving recognition to its servants — no matter how financially beneficial it may be for your club.”
Protest at former President Trump’s Bedminster, N.J., golf course
The same group protested an LIV Tour event at former President Trump’s Bedminster, N.J., golf course last year. Trump has been a vocal supporter of LIV.
LIV Tour golfers and Augusta National Golf Club
In December, Augusta National announced LIV golfers such as Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and Bubba Watson would be allowed to participate in the upcoming Masters. LIV golfers have been banned from PGA tournaments, citing contract disputes.
The controversy surrounding the LIV Tour
Critics say the LIV Tour is one of the most high-profile examples of “sportswashing,” or using major sporting events to distract from a nation’s poor human rights record or other controversy in order to improve its image.
Saudi Arabia has also faced years of negative headlines over the slaying of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi at its Turkish consulate in 2018.
“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is now bankrolling LIV Golf and other high-priced sports ventures in a transparent attempt to distract the world from its record on human rights and their government agents’ role in assisting the hijackers that carried out the 9/11 attacks,” Strada said. “The league’s own consultants confirmed that a key goal for the league is to improve the Saudi’s standing in the world.”
The huge contracts given to LIV Tour golfers and the PGA lawsuit
Some of golf’s biggest stars were paid hundreds of millions of dollars to leave the PGA for the LIV tour, amounts that are nearly unheard of for golf competition.
Mickelson, the three-time Masters winner and two-time PGA champion, was reportedly paid $200 million to ditch PGA for LIV last year.
He and others sued the PGA after they were banned from participating in its events.
PGA claims that by playing in LIV tournaments, they violated their contracts with the league.
“Any Saudi money is tainted with 9/11 blood,” Strada said.
- Saudi Wealth Fund-Backed LIV Golf Merges with PGA Tour
- NGO Urges Reduction in Plastic Waste on World Environment Day
- NYSC Signs MOU with Nasarawa State University to Empower Corps Members for Wealth Creation
- Apple’s New Mixed-Reality Headset: The Vision Pro
- Real Madrid Eyes Brahim Diaz to Rebuild Squad for the Upcoming Season
- Real Madrid to Extend Brahim Diaz’s Contract and Bring Him Back to Base
- Inigo Martinez leaves Athletic Club to join Barcelona
- Citytv Announces “Law & Order Toronto: Criminal Intent” Spinoff
- Residential Fire Leaves One Person Critically Injured in Kingston, Ontario
- Ange Postecoglou Becomes First Australian Manager in English Premier League with Tottenham Hiring