A Stem Cell Transplant Expert, Prof. Bazuaye Nosakhare, has called for adequate funding to promote research work on stem cell transplant to tackle the Sickle Cell Disorder (SCD) in Nigeria.
Nosakhare made the call on Friday at a virtual lecture organised by the Temitope Awosika Help Foundation (TAHF) to mark the 21st Anniversary Celebration of the foundation, and the celebration of the post-humous birthday of Awosika.
According to him, 30 per cent of Nigerians live with Sickle cell disorder.
Nosakhare, however, said there were several ways of managing the condition, adding that currently, the only know cure of the disorder was through stem cell transplant.
“The first Sickle cell transplant in the world was carried out in 1984, and since then, there have been series of such transplants across the globe.
“There is a 93 per cent overall survival rate when it is done on people below the ages of 18,” the expert said.
He listed some of the challenges of stem cell transplant in developing countries, like Nigeria, to include leadership insincerity, politics, inadequate funding, importation of drugs, lack of standard infrastructure, among others.
According to him, the first stem cell transplant in the country was carried out at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin, in 2011.
Nosakhare, who is currently the Medical Director, Igbenedion Teaching Hospital, said a total of 12 transplants had been carried out in the country.
“Nigeria was the first country in West Africa and Eastern Africa to have a stem cell transplant centre.
“A total of 12 transplants had been done in the country, with 11 survival and one fatality recorded.
“Out of the survival, three of the transplants were rejected,” he said.
The expert said that nine of the transplants were done in the private hospitals, while three others were carried out in the government-owned hospitals.
Also, Prof. Gloria. Elemo, a former Director-General, Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi,(FIIRO), said research had shown that food products have the ability to reverse sickle cell anaemia.
Elemo said food products with antioxidant or nutraceuticals had demonstrated specific health or medical benefits, including the prevention and management of the diseases beyond the basic nutritional functions.
“My team has finally come up with a remedy for sickle cell disease; the research works, which took the team four years to arrive at, will soon be available for those who are suffering from sickle cell anaemia.
“This is a God given gift to mankind I must say.
“The macronutrients in the antisickling formular are: moisture (5.42%), Ash (4.07%) , Protein (32.70%) , Crude fibre (6.32%) , fat and oil (20.50%), and Nitrogen free extract (NFE) 36.41%.
“The Temitayo Foundation has successfully used the antisickling formular nutraceutical product to manage and control the complications of sickle cell disease on about 250 sickle cell patients/ volunteers around the world.
“The formular is effective in preventing and reducing the frequency and severity of the disease,” she said.
The former FIIRO director-general urged Nigerians and the world at large to use the antisickling formular food supplement, saying, “it exhibits strong anti-sickling activity and safe for human consumption”.
She, however, commended the foundation for its relentless contributions to the success of the research breakthrough,” she said.
Edited By: Olagoke Olatoye (NAN)https://nnn.ng/expert-call-for-adequate-funding-to-promote-research-on-stem-cell-transplant/
Troops rescue 22 kidnapped victims in Zamfara, Katsina
The Nigerian Army troops of Operation Sahel Sanity fighting banditry and kidnapping in the northwest region have foiled bandits’ attacks and rescued 22 kidnapped victims.
The troops also recovered arms and ammunitions in various operations in Zamfara and Katsina States.
Gen. Bernard Onyeuko, the Acting Director, Defence Media Operations, made the disclosure in a statement issued in Gusau on Friday.
According to him, troops deployed at Moriki and Jangeru, responded to a distress call on Sept. 13, and folied a planned bandits’ attack on Mai-Zuma village in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara.
This, he said, followed severe shoot out along Kayawa axis forcing the bandits to withdraw and abandon three motorcycles recovered by the gallant troops.
Onyeuko said on Sept. 12, troops deployed at Dandume in Katsina State rescued two young girls kidnapped by bandits on August 18, adding that the bandits abandoned the victims after a hot pursuit.
He said that on Sept. 17, troops also rescued 8 kidnapped victims from suspected bandits at Fankama and Sabon Layi area in Faskari LGA of Katsina.
“Troops on patrol at Chabas Chabas, swiftly rescued a truck driver, 11 women and children, on their way to Batsari Market but blocked by suspected bandits along Shimfida – Gurbi Road in Katsina State,” he said.
The Acting Director added that troops deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB), Dansadau arrested a suspected bandit named Bello Ibrahim riding a motorcycle on his way to Dandalla village.
Onyeuko noted that the troops recovered one Pump Action rifle and three live cartridges from the suspected bandit.
He said: “On Sept. 16, troops deployed in Faskari arrested a suspected bandits’ informant named Isah Indo while spying on troops’ location.
“Following credible information; troops deployed at Yankara arrested a suspected bandits’ collaborator named Idris Isah from Yampa village in Faskari LGA of Katsina, who is engaged in illicit activities with bandits.
“Also on Sept. 16, troops deployed at Magami arrested Yaya Rabiu at Magami checkpoint, the suspect was identified to be a member of a notorious bandit gang.”
According to him, the bandits recently attacked troops location at Ruwandawa-Kwankele village in Gusau LGA of Zamfara.
Onyeuko reiterated commitment of the Nigerian Army to protect lives and property, and urged the people to provide credible information on suspicious movements and persons in their communities.
Edited By: Josephine Obute
Restriction order in Edo: Motorists, travellers stranded in Okpella
Many motorists and travellers are stranded at Okpella, Etsako West Local Government area of Edo, due to restriction of movement order during the governorship election.
The police directed a restriction order on movement of vehicles between 11:59 p.m. on Friday and 6:00 p.m on Saturday.
Articulated vehicles and others were on long queues on Benin-Auchi-Okene way, having been stopped and parked by the military officers on duty.
Some of the truck drivers who spoke to NAN said that they thought they could beat the restriction period before the beginning of the election.
Mr Bello Abdulraman said: “I am coming from Abuja going to Benin with the intention to get to Benin before 8:30 p.m.
“I am surprised that getting to Jattu junction, we were stopped by the military officers who barricaded the road, refusing us to go through.
“They said we all will remain quietly here until after the election”.
NAN reports that several other security check points were noticed in Etsako West and other areas in Edo North Senatorial District.
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Kayode Olaitan
FEMA alerts Abuja residents of severe flood
The Director-General of FEMA, Alhaji Abbas Idriss, issued the alert in a statement on Saturday in Abuja.
Idriss said the red alert became necessary following rainfall and repeated floods being witnessed in different parts of the country and around the FCT,
Idriss said though FCT was not on the red alert, but could be at the risk of heavier flooding because of its closeness to neighboring red line States.
He assured that the agency was prepared to handle any eventuality that may arise.
“As we speak, about nine rivers in nine countries are discharging their contents from their rivers which will eventually flows into River Niger and settles at Lokoja,” he said.
He called on residents living around the riverine and flood-prone areas of the FCT to move to higher grounds, clear their water channels and drainages.
Idriss also enjoined the residents to avoid dumping refuse on water ways and avoid walking or driving through flooded water to keep safe.
“What we are about to witness from now on is ‘river flooding’ and this is going to be heavier and more forceful than the flash flood we experienced earlier,” he warned.
Idriss, therefore, stressed the need for residents to take personal responsibility of the safety of their environment, saying ” disaster management is an all-inclusive effort from both the government and the governed.”
He assured residents of the agency’s efforts to work with all the relevant stakeholders to mitigate any possible effect of flooding in the FCT.
The DG said that the agency had strengthened its Ambassadors (FEMA volunteers/Vanguards) in all the area councils to be able to sensitise their people using town criers and other indigenous means of communication.
” This will enable them to drive the message home, in the bid to minimise loss of lives and properties.”
He added that FEMA had also mounted reflective billboards at various flood prone points warning off and cautioning residents from these danger areas.
Idriss challenged religious leaders, community heads and well- meaning Nigerians in authority to take responsibility of the public education and sensitisation of people around them.
” Especially those living close to flood prone areas to move to higher grounds for safety and to always call the national toll-free emergency number 112 for prompt response of any emergency.”,he said.
He said flood could catch up with anybody, anywhere, citing the example of the victim of Trademoore Estate ,Lugbe, a visitor in the Estate that was swept off by flood water.
Edited By: Buhari Bolaji/Sadiya Hamza
Edo governorship election begins orderly amid massive securirty, movement restriction
The governorship election in Edo begins peacefully with impressive voters’ turnout in most wards across the state, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.
Although the situation does not suggest the likelihood of violence, there is massive security presence in cities, town and villages.
With total compliance with restriction movement across the state, the processes of making the election peaceful and credible is uninterrupted.
Major streets, especially in Benin, don’t witness the usual traffic as the residents move to their respective polling stations for accreditation.
Also reports from other areas of Edo, such as Uzzebba, Igueben, Auchi, Ososo, Ekpoma, Jattu and Ughoton, among other towns and villages, say there is impressive turnout and orderly situation. Edo has 193 wards with 18 local government areas.
In most polling units, security operatives arrived in their duty points to enforce restriction on movement of people and vehicles during election.
NAN correspondents that went round observed that security operatives were present as early as 6a.m. in strategic locations in the city centres of the three senatorial districts of Edo South, Central and North.
Bondaries, including Edo South — Idogbo, Etete/Adesuwa, Oluku, Upper Siluko, Ologbo and Eyean — are supervised by security personnel that ask motorists without movement permit to park and check for Permanent Voter Card (PVC) to pass.
The situation is similar in Ekpoma, Iruepken in Edo Central, Okepella, Jattu junction and Agbede in Edo North.( NAN)
Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Kayode Olaitan