Residents of four communities of Okpu Ekoli, Amabiriba, Amagu and Amaeze in Aninri Local Government Area of Enugu State have urged the state government to assist those displaced by flood in the area.
The residents pleaded with the state government on Monday when a member representing the area in the State House of Assembly, Mr Chinedu Okwu visited them to assess the level of damage caused by the flood.
A resident, Mr Gilbert Ogadi said the people were surprised to witness that the entire communities were flooded because such unfortunate incident had not occurred in the last 30 years.
Ogadi said that the flood destroyed many things including farmlands, livestock, uprooted economic trees and other means of livelihood and appealed for urgent assistant from the state government.
Another resident whose house was affected, Mrs Patricia Nwonye said: “everything was fine until around 2a.m. this morning, when l was woken by the flood, which has brought pain to us.’’
“Aside losing my entire savings; the flood also killed my livestock and collapsed one of my buildings.
“We have been rendered homeless by the incident. Please come to our aid,’’ she said.
The Chairman of Aninri Local Government Area, Mr Ezekiel Chukwu described the flood as “an unfortunate incident’’ that befell the local government but assured that the council would provide succour to the affected people.
Chukwu assured that he would liaise with the National Emergency Management Agency and Enugu State Emergency Management Agency to ensure that they provided assistance in handling the situation.
Edited by Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Grace Yussuf
All 26 FRSC operatives kidnapped have regained their freedom, says Gov. Sule
Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State on Tuesday said that the remaining operatives of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) allegedly kidnapped by suspected bandits had been freed.
Sule said this when he received the Market Enterprise Development Advisor, Fatima Buhari, in Lafia.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that three out of the 26 operatives recently kidnapped along Maraban-Udege in the state had earlier been rescued.
Sule commended the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Bola Longe, other security agencies and all those who worked hard to free the remaining operatives of tge FRSC.
“I am happy to announce that all the 26 members of the FRSC that were recently kidnapped were released yesterday (Monday).
“I want to thank all the security agencies and all those who worked very hard to ensure that we achieved that feat.
“I want to thank them for all the efforts they are making in order to ensure that Nasarawa State remains safe,’’ he said.
Edited By: Johnson Eyiangho/Peter Dada
JOHESU ends strikes, resumes normal activities at National Orthopaedic Hospital
Health activities have fully resumed at the National Orthopaedic Hospital, Enugu, after the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) ended its seven-day warning strike.
The News Agency of Nigeria correspondent, who monitored the situation on Tuesday in Enugu, observed that health workers were busy at their various duty posts.
Some patients at the hospital expressed joy that they were attended to by the health workers while they appealed to the Federal Government to quickly meet JOHESU’s demands for the healthy living of the citizens.
They said that incessant strikes in the public health sector would continue to cause more deaths, financial waste and serious health challenges for the citizens.
Mr Azubike Udeh, a patient on admission, said he remained in the hospital ward during the strike because transfeŕring to a private hospital would have caused him more money, which might likely not solve his health problem.
“My everyday prayer on this my hospital bed is for the government to listen to the health workers and pay them what is due to them so that there will be better healthcare service delivery in our public hospitals, ” Udeh said.
Mrs Charity Akuabata, whose son was on admission, expressed happiness as workers resumed work after the strike, adding that her son’s health situation would have gone bad if the strike was not called off.
“I am happy that I met the health workers on duty because it would have been terrible for me to be carrying my 12-year-old son from one private hospital to another in order to get his leg treated,” Akuabata said.
Miss Helen Egwuonwu, another patient, said that for the health workers to carry out their duties effectively, the government must create a conducive working condition for them.
A nurse in the hospital, who spoke on conditions of anonymity, said that health activities had started in earnest as patients had also started coming in to receive medical attention.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/ Peter Dada
Air Peace increases daily flights to Enugu
The management of Air Peace has announced an increase in the number of flights from Lagos to Enugu, with effect from Sept. 22.
This is contained in a statement in Lagos by Mr Stanley Olisa, External Relations Officer, Air Peace on Tuesday.
He assured Enugu passengers of seamless flights.
“As we commence a daily second Los-Enugu-Los in the afternoon. Passengers can now leave Lagos for Enugu in the morning and still come back to Lagos in the evening, same day with Air Peace.
“While this is going on, we are almost finished with plans to reintroduce our night stop and early morning flights in and out of Enugu to Lagos daily.
“We thank our teeming customers for their unflinching loyalty to the Air Peace brand,” he said.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/Ali baba-Inuwa
NCDC announces 195 new COVID-19 cases, death toll hits 1,100
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Monday.
According to the agency, the new infection takes the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 57,437.
The health agency sadly reported two new deaths raising the death toll in the country to 1,100.
It also reported that 105 patients who had been treated and had also recovered from the infection were discharged across the country.
Among other states that recorded new cases were Rivers (12), Kaduna (8), Ondo (3), Bauchi (2), Edo (1), and Ogun (1).
According to the agency, till date, 57,437 cases have been confirmed, 48,674 cases have been discharged and 1100 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the FCT.
The health agency said a multi-sectoral national emergency operation centre (EOC) activated at Level three, had continued to coordinate the national response activities across the country.
Meanwhile, the agency has warned that majority of Nigerian states were not testing enough.
It said, “We do not have enough data coming out of these states to ascertain if we are improving or not or where exactly we are.
“So we have to work together; in summary, it is way too early to make any interpretation whether we are flattening the curve or not.”
The NCDC appealed to more states to test consistently so that progress could be monitored on a national level.
Edited By: Ejike Obeta