By Stanley Nwanosike
The Enugu State Government says it will build additional six fire-fighting/rescue stations in some Local Government Areas of the state before the end of the year.
The Chief Fire Officer in the state, Chief Okwudili Ohaa disclosed this on Sunday in Enugu while speaking with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).
Ohaa said that the fire-fighting stations would be sited in local government areas without any of such facility in the state for protection against fire and other disasters.
According to him, the target of His Excellency, Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi was to ensure that each of the 17 council areas in the state have at least one fire-fighting/rescue station before he leaves office.
“We have to support the administration of the governor for his good intention to build six additional fire-fighting/rescue stations to come to reality.
“Gov. Ugwuanyi has pronounced it that his desire and target was to have at least a fire-fighting/rescue station in each council area in the state before he leaves office and have been working to fulfill that desire”.
The chief fire officer said that in 2018, 56 years after the last fire-fighting stations were built, Ugwuanyi built and equipped five brand new fire-fighting stations and a fire-fighting unit at the Timber Market in Enugu.
The five new stations were Ninth Mile Fire Station; Ozalla Fire Station, Orba Fire Station, Oji River Fire Station and Ogurute Fire Station.
Ohaa said that the governor recruited 61 new staff to complement the aging hands and to further strengthen man-power in the state’s Fire Service.
“Knowing that water is our major need, the governor constructed five massive bore holes and is currently constructing additional ones as we speak.
“He is going ahead now to construct quarters for the fire-fighters and rescue-men especially those in the new stations to ensure workers proximity to the stations and prompt response to emergency calls,’’ he said.
NAN reports that the existing fire-fighting stations and unit included: Ogui Road Fire Station; Nsukka Fire Station/Command and Government House Fire Unit. (NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3zok
- Liquid Telecom unveils new identity, Liquid Intelligent Technologies in Botswana as it establishes itself as the digital services partner of choice for African businesses
- Buhari salutes ex-NSC DG Al-Hassan Yakmut at 60
- Chelsea whip Real Madrid to reach Champions League final
- Video press release: Weekly press briefing on the coronavirus epidemic
- Enugu State inaugurates board for universal health coverage
- Video Press Release: WHO Africa COVID-19 Online Briefing
- Singer Paul Okoye hits 1m subscribers on YouTube, receives gold plaque
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 cases reported in Ethiopia (May 5, 2021)
- Coker resumes as NTDC boss