The Emir of Lafia, Sidi Bage on Tuesday advised journalists in the state to be objective in their reportage and to always uphold the ethics of their profession.
Bage gave the advice when the Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Nasarawa State Council, visited him in Lafia.
The Emir said that it was imperative for journalists to always be conscious of the sensitive nature of their jobs in any society.
“Journalists anywhere in the world are very important organs that can make or mar the society; so, we need to be careful not to destroy this country.
“Please, continue to be patriotic as you are already and help the country in surmounting her challenges for the benefit of the entire citizens,” he said.
Bage, also the Chairman of Nasarawa State Council of Chiefs, said that especially now that the country was experiencing some challenges, governments needed the support of journalists.
He implored journalists to project positive about the country and place less emphasis on negative developments in the country.
Bage said that it was unprofessional for journalists to be involved in activities that would lead to conflicts and disunity in the country.
He said that the Emirate would provide the necessary assistance to journalists to enhance the effective discharge of their responsibilities.
Mr Isaac Ukpoju, Chairman of the Correspondents’ Chapel, said that the visit was to pay homage and get royal blessings from the Emir.
Ukpoju assured the Emir of the journalists’ readiness to objectively and positively report the activities of the state nationally and internationally.
Edited /Adeleye Ajayihttps://nnn.ng/emir-of-lafia-tasks-journalists-on-objective-reporting/
Nasarawa APC pass Vote of Confidence on Gov Sule
The Nasarawa State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has passed a vote of confidence on the administration of Gov. Abdullahi Sule.
Mr Philip Sheckwo, Chairman of the party in the state stated this at a news conference held in Lafia on Saturday.
Sheckwo said the decision was taken at an expanded party exco meeting held in Lafia on Friday, Sept. 18.
“The meeting unanimously passed a vote of confidence on his Excellency, Gov. Abdullahi Sule,’’ he said.
The state chairman added that the party at the meeting also lauded the leadership of the Governor for involving the party in his administration.
He said the party also expressed satisfaction with the tremendous strides the administration had achieved so far.
“In less than two years, he has made a lot of impact on the administration of the state. On the overall development of the state, he has also made a lot of impact.
“He has made a lot of impact in all sectors. We express our gratitude and encourage him to continue in that direction,’’ he said.
Sheckwo said the achievements and healthy relationship with the party convinced party members in the state to pass a vote of confidence on the admi9nistration.
He also explained that the party discussed vital issues that touched on the progress of the party in the state and also made an appraisal of the gains of the party so far.
“The meeting, in line with the constitution of the party, encouraged stakeholders at the state and local government levels to shun any individual interest that may seem to override that of the unity of the party.
“Stakeholders are encouraged to synergize with the party at various levels both at the ward, local government and state levels, in order to witness more progress for the party in the state,’’ he said.
According to Sheckwo, party stalwarts also acknowledged with gratitude the cordial relationship between Gov. Abdullahi Sule and his predecessor, Sen. Umaru Al-Makura, who currently represents Nasarawa South Senatorial District at the Senate.
He added that Gov. Abdullahi Sule, all State Executive Committee members, local government chairmen and their secretaries, were in attendance at the meeting.
Edited By: Idonije Obakhedo
Nasarawa Govt inaugurates 18-man committee on education sector
Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa state has inaugurated an 18-member committee in the education sector to underscore issues as well as proffer solutions to them.
Speaking during the inauguration on Friday in Lafia, Sule said the committee was as put in place as a measure towards revamping the education sector in the state.
“Composition and inauguration of an education sector development plan is aimed at providing impetus for the actualization of the vision of this administration for the sector and by extension the state at large.
“It is worthy to state that both the outcome of the baseline survey carried out by the renowned expert and the recommendations of the summit will be made available to this committee for its guidance.
“Perhaps, I should stress that the government was very meticulous in the selection of members of this committee out of a broad spectrum of the professionals within and outside the state in order for us to benefit from your own experiences,” he said.
He explained that the committee is to be guided by the terms of reference that involves a holistic look at the entire education system, school structures, and human capital in education as well as make appropriate recommendations.
“To appraise the implementation of the free education, school feeding, adult education, special education as well as family life special education in terms of relevance, coherence, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability in line with the objective of Nasarawa state Economic Development Strategy and to make appropriate recommendations.
“To examine the level of infrastructural decay in the post primary institutions, particularly in science designated schools, vocational and relevant technology centres, technical schools and information and communication technology centres in the state.
“You are to recommend measures for their transformation and upgrading in line with the current needs and realities of the state,” he said.
The governor, who expressed confidence on the members of the committee announced that the committee has 12 weeks within which to submit its report.
Hajiya Fati Sabo, Chairman of the committee and Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology pledged to be resolute towards carrying out the herculean task.
“Your excellency, I want to assure you that we will bring our professionalism and experience to bear for the benefit of Nasarawa state,” she said.
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Felix Ajide
Lagos NUJ: I won’t suspend legal actions on Pen Jewel Estate if elected — Ajayi
Mr Adeleye Ajayi, Chairmanship Candidate in the forthcoming Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Lagos Council Election, on Friday debunked a rumour that he intended to stop legal actions against those involved in the abortive Mowe/Ofada Pen Jewel Estate.
Ajayi, a Deputy Editor-in- Chief in the News Agency of Nigeria , who decried the rumour and others making the rounds, said elections in a professional body like NUJ should not be a do-or-die affair where contestants would be destroying one another.
The aspirant also said that rumours from his opponent’s camp about his certificate was wrong, saying that he possessed Ordinary National Diploma, Higher National Diploma, and two Master’s degrees.
He said that he was a class representative and class governor at both Ogun State Polytechnic and Lagos State University.
Ajayi said: “Getting to the top should not be a ‘do-or-die’ affair but some people hold onto the belief that they must destroy everybody and everything on their way to achieve success.
“Those in this category should remember that nemesis will catch up with them one day. Therefore, be good to people you meet on your way up because you may also meet them on your way down.
“On the controversial issue of Mowe-Ofada land and the abortive Pen Jewel Estate Project, ordinarily I need not bother re-echoing what I had said during my visits to chapels on campaign but I must put the records straight to correct the erroneous impression being peddled around that I intend to take the land cases out of courts if I win the election by God’s grace.
“Is it possible to withdraw any case out of court without the consent of the Judge and the parties involved? This is indeed a question begging for answers.
“Although the dramatis personae involved in the failed estate project are friends just like other people on this platform but that does not exonerate the two of them from facing the consequences should they be found guilty by a court of law.”
He added that it was unfortunate that the Mowe-Ofada land, which was acquired way back in 2008 and was allocated to about 2,000 subscribers devoid of rancour, had turned to be a campaign gimmick.
According to him, the situation turned sour and became a thorn in the flesh of the allottees some years after, when plans by Primewaterview Holdings Ltd. to assist in building apartments for the 800 journalists’ subscribers hit the rocks.
“Some people just want to call a dog a bad name in order to get it hanged.
“I have always emphasised in every chapel we went on campaign that the incoming executive by God’s grace will adopt a political solution to the land brouhaha.
“We shall endeavour to go beyond Lagos to further dialogue so that the hard-earned dollars and Naira can be refunded, even in installment.
“Permit me to also reiterate that legal actions, EFCC intervention, investigation by the Police Special Fraud Unit will continue pari- passu.
“I therefore, find it incredible that some people will go round, maligning me and distorting my explanation regarding the land issue just to score cheap political points,” Ajayi said.
He urged journalists to take whatever his opponent told them about him concerning the abortive Pen Jewel Estate as a figment of the imagination of the cooks of such story.
Ajayi said that when he was the President of the Maritime Reporters’ Association of Nigeria (MARAN), in 2010, he facilitated allocation of 50 plots of land for members of the association.
He regretted that the land had been turned to an `ATM’, by breathing down on innocent and unsuspecting landowners to contribute N60,000 for perimeter fencing; N10,000 for bush clearance etc.
Ajayi added: “I cherish the late Ibrahim Waziri’s political style tagged “Politics without bitterness’’, I have always made this phrase my watchword.
“I enjoin those further fanning the embers of disunity in the Lagos Council of NUJ to have a rethink so that we can go back to the `camaraderie’ of the good old days.
“Our collective concern should be how to build a virile union that will stand the test of time and outlive us and not to destroy a House (NUJ) solidly built by our heroes in the profession, both living and dead.
“May I therefore, appeal that those who indulged in Pull Him Down syndrome, especially during NUJ’s electioneering, that they should note that this is a professional body of gentlemen of the Fourth Estate of the Realm.”
The aspirant, who advised that people should make the campaign more exciting and not take to mudslinging, said campaign for Sept. 29 election should concentrate on issues and focus on how journalists could live a good life now and after retirement.
Edited By: Oluyinka Fadare/Peter Ejiofor)
Insecurity: NAF trains 219 Special Forces in Bauchi
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has inaugurated training for another batch of 219 Special Forces (SF) personnel and graduated 24 rappellers to boost internal security operations in the country.
The Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, made this known at the inauguration of the special forces and graduation of the Intermediate Rappelling Course 7/2020 on Friday in Bauchi.
Abubakar said that out of the 357 personnel drafted for the special forces course, only 219 would undergo the training as 24 rapellers graduate.
The CAS, represented by the Air Officer Commanding Ground Training Command (AOC GTC), Air Vice Marshal (AVM) Idi Amin, added that the NAF Special Forces’ training was borne out of the need to ensure robust defence of Nigeria’s territory.
He said “as part of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, NAF is constitutionally obligated to protect the lives and property of Nigerians, so that they can go about their legitimate businesses unhindered.
“Currently, NAF is recording significant successes in the fight against insurgency in the North- East, as well as against banditry, kidnapping and cattle rustling in the North West and North-Central parts of the country.
“In order to consolidate on the gains made so far, the Force recently activated the 203 Combat Reconnaissance Group, Gombe, for enhanced capability in providing timely and actionable intelligence to contain insecurity.”
Abubakar said that the training of selected Regiment personnel as Special Operations Force elements had become even more crucial.
“This is in line with the practice of modern air forces around the world, which now deploy specially-trained ground forces to provide situational awareness for aircrew, thereby reducing collateral damage and enhancing safe conduct of air operations,” he said.
The Air Force boss added that this informed the establishment of the Special Operations Command, with Headquarters in Bauchi, as well as Quick Response Groups/Wings in Gusau, Owerri, Ipetu-Ijesa, Katsina, Birnin-Gwari, Gembu, Agatu and Lafia, among others.
According to him, SF capabilities hold great importance to military operations worldwide.
“They are capable of operating in all types of terrain and weather conditions to achieve favourable resolution of security threats,” he noted.
Abubakar charged them to be prepared to put in their best and draw on every ounce of determination and resilience in them to excel.
He commended President Muhammadu Buhari for supporting NAF toward providing highly skilled and professional manpower to meet the Air Force’s operational requirements.
The chief of air staff also inaugurated 10 one-bedroom flats for non-commissioned officers and the Bauchi NAF Base to ease their accommodation problem.
Earlier, the Acting Commandant, Regiment Training Centre Annex, Bauchi, Sqn. Ldr. Using Jantika, said 357 Regiment, Intelligence and Personnel, were nominated for the Special Forces screening.
He explained that “on completion of medical screening for the Special Forces, 111 were reported to be medically unfit for engagements, 18 voluntarily withdrew from the course and nine failed to report due to service exigencies.”
He noted that only 219 personnel comprising 14 officers and 205 airmen/airwomen were successful, while 28 Special Forces instructors were nominated for the Intermediate Rappelling Course.
Edited By: Folorunso Poroye/ Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu