Egypt Court extends remand of 6 people over deadly train crash
Cairo, March 2, 2019 (dpa/NNN) An Egyptian Judge ordered six people to be remanded in custody for a further 15 days, pending investigations into a deadly crash at Cairo’s main train station.
The move comes as the six admitted to negligence on Saturday.
On Thursday, Egypt’s prosecutor general ordered the six, including the driver of the locomotive that caused the crash, be held in custody for four days.
Saturday’s order extends their detention.
A speeding locomotive rammed into the concrete buffers of the platform on Wednesday, causing a powerful explosion and a fire.
At least 22 people were killed and 12 others were wounded.
Several of the dead were charred beyond recognition.
The accident prompted the country’s transport minister, Hisham Arafat, to resign.
Egypt has seen several railway tragedies in recent years.
The worst rail disaster took place in 2002, when a passenger train caught fire, killing over 360 people. (dpa/NNN)
Edited by Abigael Joshua/Ifeyinwa Omowole
EU Diplomats to discuss ways to support Libyan ceasefire on Monday – Borrell
The EU’s foreign ministers will discuss efforts to shore up Libyan ceasefire later on Monday, the bloc’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said, cautiously expressing optimism over the developments in the conflict-hit country.
In August, the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) declared an immediate ceasefire in a move that was backed by the rival eastern-based parliament.
Last week, GNA Head Fayez Sarraj announced his intention to resign and transfer powers to a new executive authority by the end of October.
“After many months I see a reason for cautious optimism. There is a positive momentum, there is a ceasefire and we need to use it,” Borrell said upon the arrival at the Foreign Affairs Council.
The top diplomat would also brief the council on his visits to Libya and Egypt.
According to Borrell, the bloc has “concrete decisions” on a Libyan sanctions list, which will be announced at a press conference later in the day.
Along with Libya, the council will focus on Belarus and relations with Africa.
Edited By: Fatima Sule/Ali Baba-Inuwa
Erdogan says saddened by Sarraj’s decision to step down
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that it was sad to hear about the resignation of Fayez Sarraj, the head of Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA).
On Wednesday evening, Sarraj announced his intention to step down and transfer his powers to a new executive authority by the end of October.
He has led the GNA since March 31, 2016.
“Sarraj’s resignation announcement saddened us.
“This week our delegation may hold talks with the Libyan side.
“(Head of Libyan National Army Khalifa) Haftar is losing, and we are looking forward to a positive development of events,” Erdogan told reporters.
The LNA is under the command of Marshal Khalifa Haftar, which cooperates with the parliament sitting in the east — in Tobruk.
Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Kano Govt offers scholarship to students with special needs
Kano State Government, says it has provided free scratch cards to enable eligible students with special needs to enroll in its online scholarship registration.
Alhaji Abubakar Zakari, the Executive Secretary, Kano State Scholarship Board, disclosed this in a statement issued on Tuesday in Kano.
Zakari stated this when indigent students with special needs paid him a courtesy visit on Monday.
He said the gesture was designed to enable the students with special needs studying in various tertiary institutions in the country to benefit from the scholarship scheme.
The secretary noted that Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje had approved the distribution of free scratch cards to students with special needs, to encourage them towards achieving adecamic excellence.
He said the board had issued about 40, 000 scratch cards to promote participation in the exercise, adding that over 20, 000 students had so far applied for the scholarship.
Zakari revealed further that the state government also approved upward review of bursary allowances for students of the state studying in various institutions of higher learning in the country.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the state government has earmarked over N250 million to settle outstanding tuition fees and other clearance fees for its graduating students of Al Mansoura University, Egypt.
Edited By: Modupe Adeloye
UAE vows ‘unwavering’ commitment to Palestinians ahead of United States ceremony
The United Arab Emirates remains committed to a two-state solution to the Middle East conflict, a UAE official wrote in an Israeli daily on Monday.
“Our deep and longstanding commitment to the Palestinian people is unwavering.
“As the third Arab nation to establish diplomatic relations with Israel, we will advocate strongly for a two-state solution,” wrote UAE Foreign Ministry Communications Director Hend Al Otaiba in Haaretz.
Report says the UAE position is unequivocal.
“We seek a warm peace with Israel.
“Israelis and Palestinians are next-door neighbours and require a just and lasting resolution to this decades-long conflict. It is overdue,’’ she added.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Emirati Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al-Nahyan are due to attend a formal signing ceremony on Tuesday with United States President Donald Trump.
They are set to be joined by Bahraini Crown Prince Salman, after the Gulf kingdom followed in the UAE’s footsteps to announce a normalisation of ties with Israel.
Both Arab Gulf states have deviated from a 2002 Arab League peace initiative.
That deal preconditioned normalisation of ties with Israel on the establishment of an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital.
It added that within the lines that existed before the 1967 Six-Day War, during which Israel captured and the West Bank from Jordan and the Gaza strip from Egypt.
Furious, the Palestinians have declared a “Day of Popular Rejection” in the West Bank and Gaza Strip on Tuesday.
Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Ali Baba-Inuwa