EFCC, ICPC to Respond in Lawsuit Against Atiku by Keyamo
EFCC Indicates Intention to Respond
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), on Thursday, indicated its intention to respond in a suit filed by Festus Keyamo against Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 25 February poll.
ICPC Plans to File Its Response
This was also as Oluwakemi Odogun, lawyer to the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC), told Justice James Omotosho of a Federal High Court, Abuja of the commission’s plan to file its response in the case.
Mr Keyamo’s Suit Against Mr Abubakar
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mr Keyamo, a spokesperson of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council (PCC), had instituted the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/84/2023 against Mr Abubakar over allegations bordering on money laundering.
The Joining Defendants
Also joined as defendants in the suit are the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), ICPC and the EFCC as 2nd to 4th defendants respectively.
Request for Arrest
Mr Keyamo had earlier asked law enforcement agencies to arrest Atiku based on an audio recording released by Michael Achimugu, his former aide.
Threatened to Strike Out Suit
NAN reports that Justice Omotosho had, on 7 March, threatened to strike out the suit over Mr Keyamo’s inability to diligently prosecute the case.
Requested for Adjournment
Upon resumed hearing, Mr Keyamo’s counsel, Okechukwu Uju-azorji, informed that the matter was slated for hearing.
Mr Uju-azorji said that the former vice president, the 1st defendant, served on him a preliminary objection and that they had responded.
The lawyer said Atiku, however, was not represented in court today to take his application.
He asked the court for an adjournment to enable the 1st defendant to take his objection.
EFCC Asks for Time to File
The counsel to the EFCC, Senami Adeosun, who also asked the court for a short time to enable them to file their process in the suit, said they were still within time to respond.
ICPC Seeks Adjournment
Mr Odogun, who represented ICPC, spoke in the same vein.
“We were served on March 15 with the originating processes. We sought an adjournment since we are within time to file,” she said.
Next Hearing Date
The judge adjourned the matter until 18 April for a hearing of the pending preliminary objection.
Mr Omotosho, who ordered that hearing notices be issued to Atiku and CCB, who were not represented in court, directed that parties interested in filing any application should do so before the next adjourned date.
Preliminary Objection Filed by Atiku’s Lawyer
NAN reports that in a preliminary objection filed by Atiku’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome, the ex-vice president sought an order striking out or dismissing the suit for being incompetent and want of “locus standi.”
The lawyer, who argued that the suit be dismissed for want of jurisdiction, said the case failed to disclose a reasonable cause of action against his client.
Keyamo’s Counter Affidavit
But Mr Keyamo, in a counter affidavit deposed to by Henry Offiah, a litigation clerk in his chamber, averred that the CCB, ICPC and EFCC failed to respond to the allegations he raised against Atiku and indeed failed to take any steps to invite or arrest him for the purpose of investigating the allegations against him.
He said on 16 January, he wrote a petition to the three agencies requesting them to invite the former vice president for the purpose of conducting investigations into the said allegations.
He said that they refused to commence any form of investigation with respect to the allegations. Mr Keyamo said he was aggrieved and instituted the present action on 20 January.
Allegations Against Atiku
“The allegations made against the 1st defendant (Abubakar) are the subject matter of the investigation sought by the plaintiff and the plaintiff seeks reliefs against the 1st defendant,” the document read.
- Fortnite Season 7 Brings New Challenges and Weapons
- Mortal Kombat 1 gameplay reveal shows new features and teases story details
- Mortal Kombat 1: Release Date and Pre-Order Details
- Former President Trump to be Tried by Judge He Appointed
- Anthony Mackie stars in teaser trailer for “Twisted Metal” adaptation
- Summer Game Fest Unveils Exciting New Games for Fans Everywhere
- Manchester City and Inter to meet in UEFA Champions League Final
- Manchester City looks to complete treble against Inter Milan in UEFA Champions League Final
- Niall Horan Shares the Meaning Behind ‘You Could Start a Cult’ Lyrics
- The Show: Niall Horan’s Best Album to Date
- Bill Murray and Kelis: The Latest Unlikely Celebrity Couple
- Djokovic Reaches 23rd Grand Slam Final
- Former Governor of Ebonyi State Predicts Major Role for El-Rufai in Tinubu’s Administration
- Burna Boy Receives Multiple Nominations at Bet Awards 2021
- Reports of Sweden Introducing Sexual Intercourse as a Registered Sport a Hoax
- Novak Djokovic Reaches French Open Final as Opponent Hobbled by Cramp
- Fast X: Part 2 to Release on April 4, 2025
- Inter Milan’s Simone Inzaghi: The Cup Specialist
- Unseeded Karolina Muchova Reaches French Open Final After Comeback Against Sabalenka
- B.C. Lions beat Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Manchester City vs. Inter Milan: All You Need to Know Ahead of the Champions League Final
- Fortnite Season 3 Chapter 4 Introduces Transformers Collab
- Unlockable Skins in Fortnite Chapter 4 Season 3 Battle Pass
- Google Honors Willi Ninja with a Google Doodle
- Young hockey player uses pandemic lockdown to his advantage
- French President Macron Visits Annecy Knife Attack Victims
- Air Quality Improves on US East Coast as Wildfire Smoke Drifts South
- Till Lindemann Law Firm Responds to Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- Rammstein lead singer Till Lindemann accused of sexual misconduct
- Newcastle United Confirms Partnership with Sela for Multi-Year Sponsorship
- Newcastle United announces front-of-shirt partnership with Sela
- Former Conservative minister Nadine Dorries to stand down as MP
- Belmont Park to Resume Racing After Improved Air Quality Conditions
- 2023 Belmont Stakes Odds: Expert handicapper shares top picks and bets
- How ‘Never Have I Ever’ Nails Realistic College Admissions Drama
- Summer Game Fest 2023: Biggest Announcements and Best Trailers
- Lexus Unveils Redesigned Off-Roading SUV, the GX 2024
- Pat Robertson, televangelist who united Evangelical Christians with Republican Party, dies at 93
- Kelis Puts Family First on Vacation Amid Rumored Romance with Bill Murray
- Novak Djokovic Advances to French Open Final
- Uruguay and Italy to Compete in FIFA U20 World Cup Final
- Small Doctor Says Mr Eazi Is The Wealthiest Person He Has Encountered In The Industry
- “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Premieres in London
- The Autobots Are Back! “Transformers: Rise of the Beasts” Battles at the Box Office
- Real Madrid Announces the Signing of Fran García for the Next Four Seasons
- Real Madrid sign Fran Garcia as first signing of the summer
- Erling Haaland Feels Pressure to Deliver Champions League for Manchester City
- sport: Liverpool’s signing of Alexis Mac Allister reflects club’s focus on resilience and versatility
- Vin Diesel Confirms Release Date of Fast X Part 2
- Vin Diesel Announces Release Date for Fast & Furious 11: Part 2
- Vernon Adams and Dominique Rhymes lead B.C. Lions to win over Calgary Stampeders in CFL season opener
- Novak Djokovic Takes on Carlos Alcaraz in French Open Semi-Finals
- David Moyes to Discuss West Ham’s Future with Chairman After Europa Conference League Win
- El Niño Occurring in Pacific Ocean Could Bring Record Heat in 2024
- Dua Lipa’s Best Deep Cuts Worth a Listen
- Liverpool ECHO Launches WhatsApp Group for LFC Fans
- Dua Lipa Debuts Versace Collection at Cannes Film Festival
- Liverpool in talks to sign Nice midfielder Marcus Thuram
- Sam Fender to Play Two Homecoming Shows at Newcastle’s United Stadium
- Suspension of Shadow Foreign Minister Bambos Charalambous as a Labour MP
- Denver Broncos Sign Frank Clark to One-Year Deal Following Baron Browning’s Knee Surgery
- Celebrating National Best Friends Day and the Importance of Friendship
- The New York Yankees Face off against the Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium
- Zion Williamson Accused of Being a Sex Addict by Another Woman
- Swedish Sports Confederation Debunks Viral Claim That Sex Is Now a Sport
- Rapper Yung6ix Says He, Wizkid and Olamide Hit Stardom Before Davido
- CFL players mandated to wear Guardian Caps in training camp
- French knife attack leaves two toddlers injured, nation pays tribute to hero
- Arnold Schwarzenegger recalls his reaction to the flop of “Last Action Hero”
- FIH organizes “National Associations summit” to develop the future of hockey
- Taurine Deficiency May Be a Driver of Aging, According to a New Study
- Remembering Willi Ninja: The Godfather of Voguing
- The Profile of Tom Willander: A Strong Two-Way Defenseman Prospect
- Manhunt Season 1: ITV Drama deals with haunting murder case
- The Potential ‘Elixir of Life’: Taurine Found in Energy Drinks
- El Niño Emerges in the Pacific Ocean, Potentially Bringing Record Heat in 2024
- Fortnite Chapter 4 Season 3 Patch Notes Revealed: What to Expect from the Latest Season
- Kelis opens up about her husband’s passing and her wellness journey
- Review of “Based on a True Story” on Peacock
- El Niño Brings Hotter Temperatures and Worsens Climate Change Effects
- Japan’s Weather Bureau Says El Nino Likely Forming
- Russian Citizen Killed in Shark Attack at Egyptian Red Sea Resort
- Zion Williamson’s Personal Drama Draws Strong Reactions from Stephen A. Smith
- Norrbotten has the most positive economic prospects for small businesses in Sweden
- The Richest Person I Have Ever Met is Mr. Eazi – Small Doctor
- Small Doctor Claims Mr. Eazi is the Richest Person He’s Ever Met
- Governor of Enugu Asks President to Release IPOB Leader
- Transformers: Rise of the Beasts Receives Mixed Reviews but Invigorates the Franchise
- Young6ix Berates Davido for Excluding Him in List of First Generation Nigerian music Stars
- Florida Panthers Win First-Ever Stanley Cup Final Game in Dramatic Comeback
- Bob Bressette named Provincial Junior Hockey League’s Trainer of the Year
- New Study Shows Taurine as Potential Biological Marker for Halting Aging
- B.C. Lions Win 25-15 Against Calgary Stampeders in CFL Season Opener
- Arnold Schwarzenegger reveals on-set clash almost prevented iconic ‘I’ll be back’ line from happening
- Danny Dyer Expresses His Love for West Ham Hero, Jarrod Bowen
- Real Madrid Eye Replacements for Departing Striker Karim Benzema
- Claire Foy Discovers Tragic Family Death in Who Do You Think You Are?
- French President to Visit Victims of Knife Attack in French Alps
- Sam Fender Performs at St James’ Park for Home Turf Gigs
- Russian Man Mauled to Death by Tiger Shark off the Coast of Egypt