Health

Edo Govt launches sex offenders register to name, shame rapists

Published

on


The Edo Government on Wednesday, launched a sex offender register, to name and shame rapists and offenders of other forms of  Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV) in the state.


Speaking at the launch, the Commissioner for Justice, Prof. Yinka  Omorogbe, said the need for a register in view of the alarming increase in SGBV, especially in Edo.

”The alarming rise of SGBV cases, especially in Edo, calls for the employment of drastic measures to adequately tackle SGBV and to ensure that perpetrators are not only made to answer for their crimes but are made to feel the full  brunt of the law.

“The sexual offender register  is to serve as a tool to name and shame those convicted or reported to have engaged  in sexual abuse or exploitation.

“Would-be employers,  especially those working with vulnerable citizens,  such as children, young adults,  and persons with disabilities,  are encouraged to carry out background checks for would-be applicants.”

She said:”the Edo sexual offender database is fully connected with the National sexual offender database  which was launched by the UN deputy Secretary General  and warehouse in NAPTIP,  making Edo the first state to link up with the national database.

” The register will basically contain information of reported , arraigned or convicted people involved in cases of sexual violation  or abuse as defined by the Violence against Persons Prohibition !aw.”

She said SGBV was a growing problem, “a public health challenge and a barrier  to civic, social,  political and economic participation which has been occasioned by series of reported cases of domestic  violence, sexual exploitation and rape among others.

“With the spike in SGBV reports globally, it became imperative that Edo state rise to the fight to combat SGBV in the state thereby setting the pace for other states to follow  suit.

“Statistics have shown that  an estimated one in three women worldwide have been coerced into sex, beaten or otherwise abused in their lifetimes.

” The tragic cases of victims,  who have been brutally raped and murdered are examples of how this menace if not adequately dealt with,  will  continue to have  devastating consequences in our society and the lives and well being of the people of Edo state. “

Omorogbe noted that the state government’s decision to .roundly deal with SGBV dated back to  2019, when the office of the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, with the support of the Rule of Law and Anti Corruption Programme  reached out to Edo to commence an SGBV project  through the establishment of the SGBV Response Team.

She expressed worry that SGBV cases were on the increase, especially with the coming of the COVID-19  pandemic, that had caused an outrage  and served as a catalyst to highlight the need to strengthen the present structure to combat SGBV  in Edo, and Nigeria.

She said the launch of the state sexual offender register and service provider register and assault referral centre,was the state government’s way of readiness to effectively address the menace that would ensure that ” the streets of Edo are once again  safe for our women and children. “

The attorney general said the SGBV-RT, being an integral part of this process since its inauguration in 2019, had been actively working on putting various initiatives in place to help increase awareness of the problem and its impact to improve the response services for victims and strengthen prevention strategies.

” The response team is composed of stakeholders drawn from government and civil society   and headed by the attorney general and commissioner for Justice.

” The response team is committed to providing referral services and monitoring the provision of quality  forensic,  medical psychosocial,  legal and after care services to survivors of SGBV.

” The team also works to address the problem of stigmatization by ensuring  that holistic  and specific measures are taken to minimize  same. It also raises awareness  of SGBV issues among  stakeholders,  survivors  and members of the public   to ensure the effective prosecution of SGBV cases in Edo.

She said the efforts of the response team helped for the creation  of the first ever sexual assault referral centre (SARC) in Edo, “named after Vivian Ogu, who was violently killed after her assailant was unsuccessful in raping her.”

Omorogbe disclosed that while one SARC was being planned for Uromi, in Edo Central senatorial  district of the  state, two more centres would be established in other parts of the state soonest.

“The SARC is a rise against the fate suffered by Vivian Ogu, Uwaila Omozuwa and many more; it is essentially designed  to serve as one stop for victims of SGBV in Edo

” It is a safe and confidential place with state of the art equipment  and professionals armed with the requisite know how to attend to the needs and complainants of victims,”she said. ( NAN)

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/edo-govt-launches-sex-offenders-register-to-name-shame-rapists/

Politics

INEC commends stakeholders on successful Edo election, focuses on Ondo

Published

on


Chairman, Independent, National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, has commended all stakeholders who made  the Saturday’s Edo state governorship election a success.


Yakubu gave the appreciation while winding down INEC  Situation Room on the Edo Governorship election in Abuja on Sunday.

The chairman reminded all stakeholders that there was no respite yet for all as the attention would be shifted to Ondo where another governorship election would be holding on Oct. 10.

He said that  three weeks after that, it would be the series of by-elections in 11 States, on Oct. 31.

 Yakubu challenged all INEC staff members and participants in the conduct of elections in the country to prove that the success in Edo was not a fluke by the standard in the conduct of elections.

Edited By: Dorcas Jonah/Donald Ugwu
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/inec-commends-stakeholders-on-successful-edo-election-focuses-on-ondo/
Continue Reading

Economy

Survival Fund: FG releases registration schedule as portal opens Monday

Published

on


As the portal for the registration of prospective beneficiaries for the Survival Fund opens on Monday, the Federal Government has released the timetable  for categories of businesses to register.


A statement issued in Abuja on Sunday by the Project Delivery Office stated that the portal which opens at 10 PM, will have educational institutions as the first category of beneficiaries to register.

“Nigerians interested in the Payroll Support scheme are to note that the site for registration will be open from 10 pm Monday September 21, 2020.

“In order to ensure seamless registration process, the Project Delivery Office (PDO) has designed a registration schedule.

“Registration for Payroll Support will start with educational institutions on Monday and will be followed with businesses in the hospitality industry on Friday September 25 beginning from 12 A.M.

“The portal will also be open to other category of small businesses from 12 A.M., on Monday September 28, 2020,” the statement said.

The office therefore advised those interested in benefiting from the fund to take note of the schedule and also log on to http://www.survivalfund.ng to register for the payroll support initiative.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the survival fund is a conditional grant to support vulnerable Micro and Small enterprises in meeting their payroll obligations and safeguard jobs in MSMEs from the shock of the COVID– 19 pandemic.

The scheme is estimated to save at least 1.3 million jobs across the country, while targeting an average of 35,000 individuals per state.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/survival-fund-fg-releases-registration-schedule-as-portal-opens-monday/
Continue Reading

Sport

Osimhen, young lad with head of 40-year-old — Gattuso

Published

on


Napoli’s coach Gennaro Gattuso on Sunday dished out rare praises on new Nigerian signing Victor Osimhen, describing him  as “a young lad with the head of a 40-year-old”.


Osimhen became Napoli’s record signing when he joined from Lille in the summer for a reported 70 million euros.

He was brought on for his debut after an hour of Sunday’s Serie A match and the Nigerian made an instant impact in their 2-0 win.

”I was struck by Osimhen’s serious attitude. He has not forgotten where he came from and the sacrifices he made.

”He built himself up on his own and I congratulate him for his will and desire.

“He is a young lad with the head of a 40-year-old. I hope he does not make mistakes and does not change his attitude,” Gattuso said.

Osimhen, 21, grew up in a tough district of Lagos, lost his mother at a young age and along with his brother and sister, sold bottled water in Lagos traffic to help his family make ends meet.

Gattuso said he wanted to get Napoli back into the top four again after last year’s turbulent season, where they finished seventh after a late recovery and won the Coppa Italia.

”It  is natural that, given the history of the last 10 years, we want to return to the top four.

”I want to see a well-organised team that have clear principles in their heads and that know how to make themselves available in difficult moments,” the coach said.

Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu and Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/osimhen-young-lad-with-head-of-40-year-old-gattuso/
Continue Reading

Politics

Edo 2020: NCFront commends security on neutrality, wants more from INEC on logistics

Published

on


The National Consultative Front (NCFront) on Sunday commended stakeholders for peaceful and credible Edo gubernatorial election, applauding the security for its neutrality and professionalism.


The group disclosed this in its “Major Assessment and Verdict on Edo Governorship Election”, it issued.

It was jointly issued by Comrade Isa Aremu, Dr Tanko Yunusa, Prince Chris Azor, Mr Georgina Dakpokpo, Ayaba Olubunmi and Mr Ejiro Ofoye on behalf of NCFront Elections Monitoring Team.

The nonpartisan group, which commended the security for visible neutrality and professionalism in preventing thuggery and attempted malpractice in some polling units, advised the officers not to rest on their oars.

According to the group, more are still expected from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), on logistics and in the conduct of some political parties and their agents.

The group said that party agents were expected to be more adherent to subsisting electoral ethics and rules, which forbade voters’ inducement, vote buying, thuggery and violence during elections, ballot snatching and stuffing.

It said that the political parties should always exercise respect for the Peace Accord their parties and candidates signed before elections.

“NCFront wishes to call on the INEC, as the main elections management body in Nigeria to always ensure that improved elections logistics are henceforth put in place and deployed on time.

INEC must urgently employ latest technology required to make elections transparent and credible in Nigeria so that elections are not ruined by violence and ultimately decided by the Courts instead of the electorate.

“However, the Police, being the lead security agency, would still need to do more to assure the Nigerian electorate, especially, through improved conduct of its personnel that they can reliably stand on the part of the law in maintaining peace and order during elections.

“This must be done instead of their regular recourse to intimidation of eligible voters, which has always occasioned recline of voters on election day and electoral manipulation in another instance,” it said.

The group, however, commended INEC for being above board in its conduct during the poll.

The NCFront also commended the Edo people for the relative peace witnessed during the poll and credibility of the electoral process, inspite of the violent build up.

The group while congratulating the winner of the election called on Gov. Godwin Obaseki to be magnanimous in victory by extending the hands of fellowship to all his fellow contestants in building a united and stable government and state.

NAN reports that NCFront, a nonpartisan pan-Nigerian conscience group, deployed 600 cadres of observers/monitors, in conjuction with its INEC accredited partners, in the 18 Local Government Areas of Edo for monitoring of the governorship elections.

NCFront said that it also observed a widespread lack of adherence to INEC’s guidelines on COVID-19 protocols.

The group commended INEC for giving priority to Persons Living with Disabilities (PLWDs), and other vulnerable groups especially the elderly during the electioneering process.

It, however, added that some of the polling units were not accessible to some categories of PLWDs.

Edited By: Donald Ugwu
Source: NAN

 

https://nnn.ng/edo-2020-ncfront-commends-security-on-neutrality-wants-more-from-inec-on-logistics/
Continue Reading

INEC commends stakeholders on successful Edo election, focuses on Ondo Survival Fund: FG releases registration schedule as portal opens Monday Osimhen, young lad with head of 40-year-old — Gattuso Edo 2020: NCFront commends security on neutrality, wants more from INEC on logistics Sexual Abuse: Cleric advises parents to pay attention to male children Baby survives, mother dies in Anambra building collapse — Police Edo Poll: APC supporters commend Buhari for providing level playing field 22 parties allege exclusion in Bauchi polls, commission denies Iru land is committed to environmental, national development- Oba Lawal Youths should be drivers of innovation, creativity for a better Nigeria- Ex-VC Bell University  CSR: Dangote Cement commits N4bn to projects in Ogun host communities  Dep. speaker House of Reps mourns Zazzau Monarch Dabiri-Erewa hails Nigerian Ezeajughi’s re-election as UK Mayor, Ajagba’s United States boxing victory Edo 2020: Gov. Emmanuel congratulates Obaseki, urges him to deliver more Renown Ibadan-born businessman, Adegoke joins APC officially in Oyo Schools resumption: Lalong urges parents to teach children COVID-19 safety protocols Obaseki’s reelection is triumph of democracy – Gov. Diri Edo Guber: IPAC commends Buhari, INEC, security agencies over peaceful poll Mane double eases Liverpool to 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea Buhari sends FG’s delegation for Emir of Zazzau’s burial in Zaria APC rejects result of Edo governorship election Edo poll: Secondus, Peter Obi congratulate Obaseki Petition: Unions pass vote of confidence on VC Senate President mourns Emir of Zazzau Cleric urges Govt. to prosecute fake, fraudulent pastors PDP Govs. congratulate Obaseki, commends Buhari Election: PDP commends INEC, Buhari, Edo people Gov. Masari mourns Emir of Zazzau PDP attributes Obaseki’s reelection to steadfastness, dedication of Edo people Passing of Emir of Zazzau, end of an era, says Tinubu Edo election calls for celebration, says Tony Momoh Northern Governors mourn Emir of Zazzau Sanwo-Olu celebrates Sen. Tinubu at 60 Late Emir of Zazzau laid to rest in his palace Gov. Ayade congratulates Obaseki on re-election   Edo: Group lauds INEC on conduct of election Gov. Umahi congratulates Obaseki; lauds electoral process More troops, police deployed to Kaduna Airport Road, other strategic locations Emir of Zazzau: We’ve lost a father – Tijjani Ramalan Thunder strikes in Ekiti, kills 15 cows Kwara Governor commiserates with El-Rufai over death of Zazzau monarch NGO trains 150 Imams on addressing gender-based violence, harmful practices in Sokoto  Adewopo congratulates Obaseki on re-election, seeks stability, prosperity for Edo Leipzig make winning Bundesliga start without Werner Edo poll: New dawn, end of ‘godfatherism’ in Nigeria politics – Atiku COVID-19: Africa needs urgent trade finance boost, says report Obaseki’s re-election puts ‘god fatherism’ to rest in Edo politics – Gov. Fintiri Buhari mourns Emir of Zazzau, Shehu Idris Edo governorship election a huge relief, says Ekweremadu Obaseki’s win renews our 2023 determination to win Lagos — PDP