By Igbaugba Ehigimetor
A group under the aegis of the Concerned Edo Citizens Forum (CECF) appealed to the federal government to prevent the abrupt shutdown of the ongoing National Sports Festival (NSF).
The group, under the leadership of Mr. Roy Oribhabor, made the call in a statement made available to the Nigerian News Agency (NAN) in Benin on Thursday.
The Edo government threatened Wednesday to close the 20th NSF Thursday at noon for failure to release the support fund promised to the state by the federal government.
Oribhabor said the hopes and aspirations of many young people currently participating in the NSF would be dashed if the government reneged on its promise to Edo.
“We hereby call on the Nigerian government to immediately honor the pledge made to the Edo State government regarding support funds.
“A promise is a hope, the government of Nigeria must act now.
As concerned citizens, we are seriously embarrassed and disappointed that the Nigerian government has failed to demonstrate a serious capacity to deliver on its promise to the Edo State government.
“It’s a national embarrassment. It is frustrating, disappointing and very embarrassing for all Nigerians, ”said Oribhabor.
The group, however, praised the Edo government for its unusual display and commitment to host the 20th NSF.
Youth and Sports Development Minister Sunday Dare has yet to respond to calls and messages sent over his line.
But the minister’s assistant, John Akanji, referred NAN to Main Organizing Committee (MOC) secretary Peter Nelson for comment.
However, the festival’s MOC has yet to respond to the Edo government’s threat to shut down the NSF before noon on April 8. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yGt
- D’Tigress will make Nigerians proud at Tokyo 2020 Olympics – Amukamara
- IDB supports Kwara health insurance with $ 99,000
- Rivers LG polls: RISEC declares PDP winners in 23 LGAs
- Zanfara Govt spends 2.9 billion naira on Ramadan welfare – Official
- Mother’s Day: instilling good moral values in children – Catholic priest
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid rout Eibar as Real Madrid draw Getafe
- NASFAT unveils multimedia center in Kaduna
- Edo Queens and Delta Queens launch NWFL Super Six Premiership
- Governor AbdulRazaq does not touch LG funds – NULGE