Ebonyi Government says it will complete its airport project by 2022 in spite of the financial uncertainties pervading the globe.
Gov. David Umahi made the disclosure on Wednesday while inspecting work at the airport’s site which spans two Local Government Areas of Ezza South and Ezza North.
Umahi said that the airport would be two and half times the size of the state’s international shopping mall and would have the biggest terminal building in the country.
The governor said that the pilling work of the project had been completed, describing it as ‘most challenging’.
“The tartan track is 100 metres in width, with 10 lanes by 4 km as work on it, is five times the work on road projects.
“This is because work on the tarmac is different with impact, traction and dynamic loads all combined and therefore, a special design.
“We are presently working on the median of the 4km airport road with the drain completed while we have set out the airport flyover for construction,” he said.
Umahi, while inspecting the international shopping mall in Abakaliki, said that about N4 billion had so far been spent on the ‘magnificent edifice’ and expressed satisfaction with its level of work.
“The mall will be completed in November, 2020 and will boast of games facilities for adults and children, six escalators, over eight lifts, cinemas, kitchens, exotic boutiques, offices, warehouses, and supermarkets at its basement, among others.
He said that the government disagreed with Shoprite to construct the mall because it wanted to construct about 20 per cent of the mall with N6 billion and enjoy 20 per cent of its equity shares.
“We then decided to embark on the project ourselves and engaged an architect.
“This is then a smaller version of the Dubai mall and with discipline, one can achieve whatever he sets out to achieve,” he said.
He also said that the new state Executive Council chamber would be completed in October 2020 as the chamber, airport, shopping mall, international stadium, state College of Medicine among others were government’s top projects.
“I don’t have budget for the projects but God is my budget and none of my projects has been stopped due to funds.
“I do not owe any contractor but they are the ones owing me and any contractor who says I owe him, should publish it,” he said.
Edited By: Ifeyinwa Okonkwo/Maureen Atuonwu (NAN)
Ebonyi bus accident: FRSC, Police confirm 3 more bodies retrieved from river
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Ebonyi has confirmed the recovery of three more corpses from the Akeze-Ukwu River after a Mercedes 608-model bus plunged into the river on Sept.18.
The News Agency of Nigeria , recalls that the bus conveying members of a Church who attended their pastor’s burial was returning to Enugu when the accident occurred.
The bus driver was said to have lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake an articulated vehicle on the bridge.
Uchegbu said that the corps sent its personnel to the hospital, where some rescued victims were being treated, to interact with doctors on the true reports concerning the ‘unfortunate’ incident.
“We have been getting conflicting reports on the casualties so we sent our personnel to the hospital to interact with the doctors handling the cases.
“We were able to ascertain that seven persons were actually rescued from the river on the day of the incident instead of five earlier reported.
“One person was confirmed dead, two persons are presently on admission, two have been officially discharged while two opted to return home having sustained no injuries from the incident,” she said.
Ughegbu said that with the 14 corpses retrieved from the river on the second day of the rescue operations and the three other corpses retrieved on Sunday, the total number of retrieval is 24.
According to her, the total number of dead victims is now 18.
Also, the Ebonyi command of the Nigerian Police Force confirmed in a stateement the retrieval of three more corpses on Sunday, adding that a retired police officer was among the deceased persons.
“Efforts are still on to recover the remaining 10 persons,” it stated.
Edited By: Dianabasi Effiong/Donald Ugwu
Gov. Umahi congratulates Obaseki; lauds electoral process
Gov. David Umahi of Ebonyi has congratulated Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo on his re-election following the release of the result by INEC of the just concluded governorship election.
Mr Francis Nwaze, the Special Assistant to Ebonyi Governor on Media and Publicity, released the congratulatory message to newsmen on Sunday in a statement from Abakaliki.
According to Umahi, though it was a keenly contested election, Obaseki’s re-election has again rekindled hope in the nation’s democracy.
He added that the re-election had also rekindled hope in the electoral process which allowed unhindered, the wishes and aspirations of the people to prevail.
The governor said that Obaseki’s electoral value and his capacity to deliver democratic dividends were fully acknowledged and accepted by Edo people.
Umahi urged the re-elected governor to remember not the former things, but propound approaches for greater Edo which unarguably underlie his re-election.
“I congratulate you on your well-deserved victory. Your re-election has confirmed your electoral appeal in Edo state.
“Remember not the former things, get to work and take Edo State to another greater heights.
“I am happy because your re-election has rekindled faith in the electoral process and our democracy,” he stated.
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Peter Dada
COVID-19: Ebonyi Govt. lifts restrictions on weddings, others
Gov. David Umahi of Ebonyi has lifted restrictions placed on public burials, wake-keeps, weddings, conferences, meetings, festivals, religious services, among others in the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that restrictions were placed on such activities in the state since March, due to the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic across the country and the globe.
The lifting of the restrictions was contained in a statement signed by Mr Uchenna Orji, State Commissioner for Information and Orientation and made available to NAN on Sunday.
Orji said that the measure was in furtherance to the state’s post COVID-19 economic recovery plans.
“It’s also in the exercise of the powers conferred on the governor by the state’s Coronavirus and other Dangerous Disease and Related Matters Law 005 of 2020 and other relevant laws.
The commissioner said that closure of public places such as event centres, bars worship centres, educational institutions, public parks, night clubs, cinemas among others had been lifted.
“All restrictions on conduct of business and commercial activities are hereby rescinded.
“Regulations on wearing of facemasks, hand washing, use of hand sanitisers, observance of social distancing among others, are still in force in public places, events and gatherings,” he said.
He further disclosed that the governor charged security agencies and public office holders especially Chairmen of Local Government Areas and Coordinators of Development Centres, to enforce subsisting regulations.
“These are regulations contained in the proclamation hereof, in the interest of the safety and health of our people,” he added.
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Maharazu Ahmed
NCDC records 189 new COVID-19 cases, total now 57,145
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Saturday.
“As at Sept. 19, 2020, 189 new confirmed cases and one death was recorded in Nigeria.
“Till date, 57,145 cases have been confirmed, 48,431 cases have been discharged and 1,095 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.
The agency stated that the 189 new infections were reported from 15 states of the federation.
“Lagos (70), Plateau (37), FCT (24), Kaduna (19), Rivers (12), Oyo (5), Ogun (4), Ebonyi (3), Katsina (3), Ondo (3), Osun (3), Imo (2), Yobe (2), Ekiti (1), Nasarawa (1),” it said.
The agency said that cloth masks provide protection when properly worn and cared for.
“Wear mask covering your nose and mouth, handle mask with clean hands and wash cloth face masks after each use.
“MaskOnNaija with other preventive measures. Learn how to make your own face mask: covid19.ncdc.gov.ng/media/files/DI… ,” it advised.
“TakeResponsibility and adhere to all non pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19 if you must travel,“ it said.
Edited By: Tayo Ikujini/Sadiya Hamza