Connect with us

Foreign

Ebola in Congo: Organisation calls for regional awareness 

Published

on

 The Director General West African Health Organisation WAHO Stanley Okolo on Monday called on the regional countries to remain alert as the Ebola epidemic resurfaced in the Democratic Republic of the Congo DRC This is a wake up call on all member countries to always remain alert and prepared he said in a statement in Banjul Okolo said WAHO had already sent information to the countries reminding them of the international disease surveillance records and regulations that they should use We have also helped some of the countries in terms of support for monitoring travelers at borders who are coming in from the DRC he said WAHO liaison officers representing the regional countries are currently discussing health problems including disease surveillance and insufficient health care budgeting in Banjul ahead of the 19th Ordinary Assembly of ECOWAS Ministers on Tuesday when key decisions will be adopted The latest data from the health ministry shows 53 cases of Ebola in the outbreak including 37 confirmed 13 probable and three suspected cases One new suspected case was recorded on Monday in the rural community of Iboko and five suspected cases came back negative the health ministry said This is the ninth outbreak of Ebola in Congo since the disease was first detected in the country in 1976 Health officials have moved aggressively to head off a repeat of the 2013 16 outbreak in West Africa that killed over 11 300 people The vaccine was first rolled out in Mbandaka on May 21 and hailed as a paradigm shift in the fight against Ebola by the World Health Organisation WHO The WHO said in May that it was cautiously optimistic about the progress of the response yet Mbandaka s location directly upstream the Congo River of the capital Kinshasa a city of more than 10 million people remains a concern Edited by Fatima Sule Felix Ajide NAN
Ebola in Congo: Organisation calls for regional awareness 

1 The Director-General, West African Health Organisation (WAHO), Stanley Okolo, on Monday called on the regional countries to remain alert as the Ebola epidemic resurfaced in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

today's nigerian newspapers

2 “This is a wake-up call on all member countries to always remain alert and prepared,” he said in a statement in Banjul.

today's nigerian newspapers

3 Okolo said WAHO had already sent information to the countries reminding them of the international disease surveillance records and regulations that they should use.

today's nigerian newspapers

4 “We have also helped some of the countries in terms of support for monitoring travelers at borders, who are coming in from the DRC,” he said.

5 WAHO liaison officers representing the regional countries are currently discussing health problems including disease surveillance and insufficient health care budgeting in Banjul ahead of the 19th Ordinary Assembly of ECOWAS Ministers on Tuesday, when key decisions will be adopted.

6 The latest data from the health ministry shows 53 cases of Ebola in the outbreak, including 37 confirmed, 13 probable and three suspected cases.

7
One new suspected case was recorded on Monday in the rural community of Iboko and five suspected cases came back negative, the health ministry said.

8 This is the ninth outbreak of Ebola in Congo since the disease was first detected in the country in 1976.

9 Health officials have moved aggressively to head off a repeat of the 2013-16 outbreak in West Africa that killed over 11,300 people.

10 The vaccine was first rolled out in Mbandaka on May 21 and hailed as a paradigm shift in the fight against Ebola by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

11 The WHO said in May that it was cautiously optimistic about the progress of the response yet Mbandaka’s location directly upstream the Congo River of the capital Kinshasa, a city of more than 10 million people, remains a concern.

12

Edited by: Fatima Sule/Felix Ajide
(NAN)

bet9ja odds
Fatima Sule

NNN is an online Nigerian news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria and the world.Contacti: editor @ nnn.ng. Disclaimer.