General news

Djokovic sweeps through Wimbledon start under keen gaze of Ivanisevic

Published

on



Djokovic sweeps through Wimbledon start under keen gaze of Ivanisevic

London, July 1, 2019 Novak Djokovic got the defence of his Wimbledon title off to an impressive start when serving superbly, he overwhelmed Germany’s Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets in the first match on Centre Court on Monday.

After a few early wobbles Djokovic triumphed 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 as, perhaps already buoyed by the presence of new coach Goran Ivanisevic, he really hit the mark with his serves.

“He’s someone I’ve always looked up to and we’ve been friends for a long time – though usually on the opposite side of the net,” Djokovic said of the 2001 champion.

“He’s coached lots of great players, so it’s great to have him on my side. He’s going to stay for sure through the first week then we’ll see.

“It’s a great pleasure to have such a champion and hopefully we can have a long collaboration.”

Djokovic, 32, came into the tournament having decided not to play a grass-court warm-up event.

He must have been a little edgy having lost to Kohlschreiber in straight sets on the hard courts of Indian Wells earlier this year.

For a man not so well known outside tennis circles, 35-year-old Kohlschreiber has a long, if not particularly distinguished, career.

This Wimbledon was his 60th grand slam event – putting him joint-ninth in the open-era on the appearances list.

It was also his 15th successive Wimbledon, but Monday’s two-hour show marked the ninth time he had failed to get past the first round.

The champion made an inauspicious start, double-faulting his first serve en route to being broken, but quickly found his feet to reel off the next four games and win the first set 6-3.

Kohlschreiber found his length with more consistency in the second and the two traded heavy blows in crowd-pleasing rallies not often seen these days on the grass.

At 4-4 the German saved three break points – the last courtesy of a successful challenge – only to drop his next service game as Djokovic served out for 7-5 and a two-set lead.

The early stages of the third set were also entertainingly well-fought, with both men nailing the baseline with huge power.

However, Djokovic really found his serving rhythm to take command and wrap up the match by taking it 6-3.

“It felt great, it’s the sacred court, the cradle of our sport and it has a special place in my heart and my career,” Djokovic said.

“Opening round matches are always tricky, he has a lot of experience and beat me this year.

https://nnn.ng/djokovic-sweeps-through-wimbledon-start-under-keen-gaze-of-ivanisevic/

Group lauds ISPHCDA’s giant stride in healthcare delivery in Imo Deputy VC seeks collaboration among medical practitioners to solve emerging health challenges Reps urge FG to release take-off grants for universities NEPZA urges zone operator, enterprise, to stop attacks on each other PDP NWC ratifies removal of Adagunodo as Osun Chairman UN urges action to address economic devastation caused by COVID-19 Zoho stresses the need for long-term business approach Kaura LG Chairman: Abductors yet to contact family – Council spokesman Senate to receive 2021 budget estimates next week — Lawan RMAFC visit: Umahi canvasses enhanced revenue allocation to Ebonyi Nigeria @60: FG presents N16.5m to winners of anniversary branding competition COVID-19:NIMR presents SIMA test kits to Health Ministry Nigeria at 60: CAN appeals to Buhari to sign Electoral Reform Bill COVID-19: NGO support Police with protective equipment in Sokoto FG declares Thursday public holiday to mark Nigeria’s 60th Independence Anniversary FAO tasks Nigeria on livestock sector investment for food, economic growth Coalition seeks protection for local businesses Alleged pension fraud: Absence of Maina, Sen. Ndume stalls trial COVID-19: Jigawa Govt to reopen schools soon – Gov. Badaru Sokoto: Police arrest man over alleged circulation of rape video on social media IOC has been working to improve opportunities and image for women, official says Gov. Buni swears in new Yobe chief judge NCC inaugurates evaluation committee for 2020 research proposals NGO advises parents against promoting sex trafficking abroad [email protected]: Ben Bruce says entertainment Industry reduced unemployment Mutual funds record 305% growth in 4 years – Coronation Research AUDA-NEPAD set to commence empowerment of small-holder farmers in Nigeria Bulls maintain dominance on NSE, index up 0.39% Uzodinma, 16 other governors bag 2020 SDGs champions Katsina Govt reopens schools Oct. 5 — Commissioner COVID-19: Afreximbank spends $100m on procurement of medical resources Senate receives Buhari’s request to confirm Chairman,DG of PenCom UN Chief pays tributes to late Emir of Kuwait Uni Abuja VC thanks China for facilitating railway engineering course Djokovic crushes Ymer to begin French Open campaign Buhari sympathises with Hadejia flood victims, says it’s a set back to agriculture P&ID: Malami expresses appreciation as court orders release of $200m back to Nigeria Court dismisses suit against Gov. Uzodinma, awards N1.5m cost against RAP candidate Injured Napoli captain out for league and international action Osinbajo seeks expansion of whistle-blower policy Drogba to receive UEFA President’s Award Tricycle operator dies in Anambra accident NAF wings first female combat pilot officer, 5 others Nigeria at 60: Lawyers, rights campaigners want judiciary to do better Ondo govt. promotes 31,066 workers in 4 years – Official Senate receives Buhari’s request for confirmation of 8 nominees as Justices of Supreme Court, others Gov. Zulum reconstitutes management board of El-Kanemi Warriors FC COVID-19 exposes imbalance in access to education – former minister Railway will support industrialisation, economic growth -Buhari 4th Mainland Bridge will complement Buhari’s infrastructure-drive initiative —-Minister