Connect with us

Agriculture

Desertification: IFAD establishes 5 plant nurseries in Jigawa LG

Published

on

 Desertification IFAD establishes 5 plant nurseries in Jigawa LG
Desertification: IFAD establishes 5 plant nurseries in Jigawa LG

1 The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), says it has established five plant nurseries in Suletankarkar Local Government Area of Jigawa to tackle desertification in the area.

daily post

2 IFAD’s Coordinator in the area, Mohammad Adamu-Makiyaya, told Nigeria News Agency in Suletankarkar town in Jigawa on Wednesday that the plants included neem, gum arabic, among others.

daily post

3 He said the NGO would plant over 50,000 tree seedlings in the nurseries located in Danzomo, Suletankarkar, Maifaru, Ciromawa and Mallam- Bako areas.

daily post

4 Adamu-Makiyaya said the seedlings watered by solar powered boreholes would be replanted in the areas when they mature by mid 2020.

5 The coordinator said IFAD had also drilled seven hand-pump boreholes and four solar-powered boreholes for humans and livestock in Gangara, Fulanin-Danyarda, Masama, Dankulili, Nagwamutse, Dadinsarki towns, among others.

6 He said the solar-powered boreholes with a compliment of watering troughs had made water more accessible to local livestock and herds from neighbouring Niger Republic.

7 On women empowerment, he said over 4,000 of the were enrolled in a micro credit scheme initiated by IFAD in the area.

8 “Over 4,000 women under separate groups have keyed into the micro credit scheme which they financed themselves.

9 “Under the scheme, registered by the State Ministry of Commerce, women involved in small scale businesses formed groups and contributed money, depending on their capabilities.

10 “These groups have been providing soft loans to members to expand their businesses.

11 “The loan is normally recovered in six weeks and 60 per cent of the profit realised will be retained by the beneficiary, while remaining 40 per cent will be reinvested for her.

12 “I am happy to tell you that one of the groups, Sule Arewa, which started in 2017 with a membership of over 500 women and a capital of N660,000, is today worth over N2.6 million,” Adamu-Makiyaya said.

13

bet9ja nigeria com
Nabilu Balarabe

NNN is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. We are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and we strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor @ nnn.ng. Disclaimer.