Denmark offers fourth Covid vaccine dose to over-50s
NNN: Denmark’s government said on Wednesday that the country will start offering a fourth dose of the Covid-19 vaccine to risk groups next week and to everyone over 50 after the summer, amid the emergence of a new variant. .
“The authorities believe that the new variant is more infectious than the old one, which is why we are acting now… to protect the most vulnerable and the elderly,” Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told reporters.
She said those most at risk could receive a fourth dose starting next week.
Omicron’s BA.5 subvariant now accounts for 59 percent of new cases in Denmark, which has recorded more than 3.1 million infections since the start of the pandemic in a country of 5.8 million people.
Denmark, which stopped its vaccination campaign at the end of April, said the campaign would intensify after the summer.
“The health authorities have recommended a revaccination of 2.5 million Danes in the autumn,” said Fredriksen.
The fourth dose will be offered to everyone over 50 starting October 1. About 62 percent of Danes have already received a third dose.
The Scandinavian country lifted all its corona restrictions in February and has no plans to reintroduce them.
“Our strategy is a society without restrictions, so we need to prevent the disease” rather than the spread of the infection, the head of the Danish National Board of Health, Soren Brostrom, told reporters at the same press conference.
He urged people with symptoms to get tested and self-isolate if they test positive.
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA
- My removal did not follow due process, says Sacked Abia LG boss
- NADCEL: Army Chief, Yahaya, bags chieftaincy title in Imo
- Don calls for inter-agency collaboration to tackle insecurity
- PVCs: Group sensitises FCT women
- Army inaugurates classroom blocks, science laboratory in Imo
- Naira falls again to dollar at Investors, Exporters window
- COVID-19 vaccine trains immune system to create antibodies, says NPHCDA Boss
- Seplat, NLNG proffer solutions to Nigeria’s gas crisis
- NGO tasks Kaduna govt on out-of-school children, free education