By Segun Giwa
Asaba’s Delta Queens Women’s Football Club on Monday at Dipo Dina Stadium in Ijebu-Ode beat Benin’s Edo Queens 2-1.
The victory came in the Nigerian Women’s Football League 2020/2021 (NWFL) Premiership Super Six opening match.
Delta Queens’ Chiamaka Okwuchuku scored the opening goal after connecting well with Chioma Olise’s pass in the 41st minute to end the half 1-0.
Edo Queens’ Nneka Julius scored with a brilliant 23-yard free kick to go 1-1 for her side in the 53rd minute to restore hope.
After so much pressure, Delta Queens’ Comfort Folorunso scored from a Mamuzo Edafe corner to give his side the victory.
Delta Queens head coach David Ochei in his post-game comments said the victory was very important to his team.
Ochei said he told his players not to present “fantasy football” and that it was the result that mattered.
“We told them all they had to do was shoot for goals. “Don’t try to play fancy games, just try to be yourself, be natural and as they come you take it because everyone will come with the experience and their strength. “, did he declare.
Additionally, Edo Queens captain Glory Ogbona said defeat doesn’t mean her team are out of the competition.
Ogbona said his teammates were not happy with the result, however, and would defend themselves in subsequent matches.
“We are not happy to lose the game. It’s not what we expected, but in football anything can happen.
“The fact that we lost the game does not mean that we are out of the competition. We will always fight, ”she said.
The Nigeria News Agency (NAN) reports that Delta Queens now have three points in one game, while Edo Queens has no point in one game. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yYg
- Siemens, German government and Solidarity Fund hand over 100-bed modular hospital solution
- NiMet predicts 3 days cloudiness, thunderstorms from Friday
- Arrival of the new Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service in Kenya and Tanzania
- Eid-el-Fitr: Uzodimma hosts Muslims in Imo
- Envoy pledges to strengthen Nigeria-Cuba relations
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 13, 2021)
- Real Madrid stay in title hunt with win at Granada
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 13, 2021)
- Nadal follows Djokovic into Rome Open quarter-finals after epic fightback