Judiciary

Court strikes out ex-Boko Haram’s spokesman’s N500m damages suit

Published

on


An FCT High Court , Maitama, on Thursday struck out a N500 million  aggravated suit filed by former Spokesman of Boko Haram, Ali Konduga.


Justice Samira Bature, struck out the suit following an application for discontinuance filed by Konduga’s counsel, Mr Mohammed Tola, dated Oct. 17 and filed on Oct. 8.

Bature noted that the Respondents had earlier pointed out that the court had no jurisdiction to handle the matter and with the motion for discontinuance by the applicant, the suit was struck out.

Konduga dragged the Director-General, Department of Security Services (DSS) and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, over alleged breach of his fundamental rights.

On Oct. 3, Mr Emmanuel Edu, holding the brief of Mr Mohammed Tola , counsel for Konduga told the court that they client intended to discontinue the suit.

Mrs Clementine Nebo, counsel for the Attorney General of the Federation not object to the notice of withdrawal but said, proper motion should be presented to the court.

In view of this, Konduga ‘s counsel then prayed for short adjournment to enable them file motion for withdrawal.

Konduga through his counsel, Mr Mohammed Tola, filed a suit ,alleging that he was kept in detention for an extra three years after serving his three-year jail term before he was released in 2016.

Konduga was convicted by a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Abuja and sentenced to three years imprisonment for criminal intimidation in 2011.

In the suit, Konduga claimed that he was kept in the custody of the DSS instead of the conventional prison to serve his term because the government wanted him to serve as a key witness to prove a terrorism charge against a senator in a Federal High Court in Abuja.

He further stated as of the time of his release, he was never called to testify in the matter or any other matter.

Konduga said that he was taken to the DSS’s office in Maiduguri on Sept. 8, 2016 and was released on Sept. 9, 2016 to his parents.

He alleged that DSS offered his family N700,000 when he was released, and informed his family that the money was meant for his medical treatment.

The gesture, Konduga said showed that the DSS knew he was entitled to compensation for his illegal and unlawful detention, adding that the Service refused to pay him any other compensation except the N700,000.

He further stated that some individuals attacked him after he was released in 2016 and he sustained head injury from the attack.

He added that as a result of the injury he sustained, the police from GRA Police Station, Maiduguri, Borno , took him into protective custody and later referred him to the Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital in Maiduguri.

He therefore, demanded for unreserved public apology in three national newspapers.

Konduga also prayed for an order of the court, directing the respondents to jointly and severally pay him N500 million as aggravated damages and compensation for the illegal, unconstitutional and unlawful detention. (NAN )

NEO/SH

edited by Sadiya Hamza

https://nnn.ng/court-strikes-out-ex-boko/

Foreign

United States court allows publication of John Bolton’s book, in blow to Trump

Published

on


A United States court on Saturday ruled that the publication of a tell-all book by former national security adviser John Bolton can move forward, denying an attempt by President Donald Trump’s administration to prevent its release.


In his decision Judge Royce Lamberth said that the government failed to prove “irreparable harm” by halting the book’s publication, since much of its contents have already been disclosed through media reports.

“With hundreds of thousands of copies around the globe – many in newsrooms – the damage is done,” Lamberth said in his decision. “There is no restoring the status quo.”

But Lamberth also slammed Bolton saying he “gambled with the national security of the United States” and has exposed himself to possible forfeiture of profits and criminal liability in future court proceedings for failing to fully comply with the government’s classified information review.

The book, titled “The Room Where It Happend,” is scheduled to be released this Tuesday. It depicts Trump’s foreign policy as feckless and driven by personal interest.

Bolton says Trump asked his Chinese counterpart to purchase United States agricultural products to help his re-election bid.

He also told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that he could intervene in a law enforcement probe to aid a Turkish bank, according to experts published in media reports.

The court’s decision will likely ensure a wider readership of the bombshell book, which comes roughly four months before the US presidential election.

Trump called the decision a “BIG COURT WIN against Bolton” despite losing the injunction request and referred to Bolton as a warmonger who “likes dropping bombs on people, and killing them.”

“Bolton broke the law and has been called out and rebuked for so doing, with a really big price to pay,” Trump said. “Now he will have bombs dropped on him!”

Lamberth said Bolton’s allegation that the White House classification review process was politically motivated did not hold up and he should have allowed more time for review of his 500-page manuscript.

“Many Americans are unable to renew their passports within four months, but Bolton complains that reviewing hundreds of pages of a National Security Advisor’s tell-all deserves a swifter timetable,” Lamberth said.

In his conclusion, Judge Royce Lamberth wrote that Bolton had also “exposed his country to harm and himself to civil [and potentially criminal] liability.”

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/united-states-court-allows-publication-of-john-boltons-book-in-blow-to-trump/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences businessman to 5 years imprisonment for forgery, cheating

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Tuesday sentenced a businessman, Eze Solomon, to five years imprisonment for forgery and cheating.


Chief Magistrate, Baba Shani, sentenced Solomon to three years for forgery and two years for cheating, without an option of fine.

Shani also ordered the convict to pay N3 million as compensation to a businesswoman, Ms Julkart Dangin.

He said that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to the convict and others from committing such crime in future.

” The convict also misled the court by lying about being ill and forging a fake hospital report to that effect which during investigations revealed was not true,” he said.

Shani said that the prosecution counsel, Emeka Ihekoronye, has proved his case beyond reasonable doubt.

Ihekoronye told the court that Solomon forged documents of two shops located in Wuse market and had been collecting rent from 2005 to 2011.

He said that the shops originally belonged to Dangin, who thought that the said shops have been revoked by the Federal Capital Territory Administration all this while.

He said Solomon deceived the occupants of the said shops with forged documents claiming to be the caretaker of the said property and has so far collected N6 million from them as rent.

The prosecution counsel said that the occupants of the shops, Mr Ikechuchwu Ebowusi and Leonard Ogoli, reported the matter to the police when their shops were sealed by the FCT Administration for not paying ground rate.

He said that when the occupants approached Solomon on why the rate was not paid, he promised to pay but never did.

The prosecution counsel said police investigations revealed that the convict was never the caretaker or given custody of the shops by the owner.

He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 320 and 364 of the Penal Code.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/court-sentences-businessman-to-5-years-imprisonment-for-forgery-cheating/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged fraud: Court admits taxi driver to N2m bail

Published

on


Justice Peter Kekemeke of an FCT High Court Nyanya on Tuesday admitted a taxi driver, Paschal Chijioke, who allegedly swindled a businesswoman too bail in the sum of N2 million.


The police charged Chijioke with two counts bordering on armed robbery.

The police alleged that the defendant, with others who are  at large, on Sept. 2, 2019 in Karu , FCT while armed with dangerous weapons robbed Ms Christiana Ogundipe N200, 000.

The police also alleged that the defendant stole a techno cell phone value at N45,000.

The offence, the police said, contravened the provisions of sections 6 (b) of Robbery and firearms special provision Act, Laws of the Federation.

 

Kekemeke admitted the defendant to bail following an application for bail moved by defence counsel, Mr J.A. Mustapha.

The prosecution counsel Mr Chukwuemeka Ugwuanya did not object to the bail application.

“I have taken a careful notice of the complaint of the complainant,  the evidence is not such that can warrant the refusal of his bail.

 

” The weight of the evidence seems light,  the defendant is deemed Innocent until proven guilty,  in the circumstance of this case I shall exercise my discretion in favour of the defendant.

 

” The defendant is hereby granted bail in sum of N2 million and two sureties in like sum, one who must be owner of certificate of occupancy within Abuja ” he ordered.

 

He then adjourned the matter until  Sept. 28 for trial.

Earlier,  when the charge was read to the defendant, he pleaded not guilty but the judge admonished him to tell the court the truth.

 

” The court is not the place to lie, it will not help you,  did you do these things? the judge asked .

 

The defendant then told the court that on that faithful day ‘we took the victim to Mararaba , we were three in number’

 

“One of us claimed to be a foreigner who brought goods like iPhones and gold necklaces for sale.

 

“He said he doesn’t have Nigerian currency, so we then agreed that we are going to help him get Nigerian money.

 

“We then went to where we can do that ,on getting there we told him that we have a film, It is the film that we will wash in a chemical and it will  turn to money” he said.

 

He told the court that when that was done, it turned to money  and they asked how they can get the chemical.

 

He added that they were directed to a laboratory scientist.

 

” We all were able to contribute certain amount, after the process, and the victim promised to contribute N200, 000 which she did after  four days.

 

The Judge said ,  “now that you have said the truth, it will go a long way to help you.” (NAN)

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

 

 

https://nnn.ng/alleged-fraud-court-admits-taxi-driver-to-n2m-bail/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands driver over alleged rail track vandalism

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State on Tuesday  ordered  a  23-year-old driver, Haliru Jibrin, to be remanded in a correctional facility over alleged vandalism.


The police charged Jibrin wity criminal consiparcy, mischief and theft, contrary to sections 317, 275 and 327 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law.

The state counsel, Mathias Joseph, told the court that the defendant was arrested by men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps  (NSCDC) on June 6.

Joseph alleged that the defendant and two others, now at large, went to the railway tracks along Katul crossing in Kachia and damaged some rail facilities.

When the charges were read to him, he pleaded not guilty.

The prosecution thereafter prayed the court for an adjournment to enable the state call its witnesses to prove its case against the accused person.

In his ruling, the presiding judge, Abdulaziz Ibrahim, ordered that the defendant be remanded in  Kafanchan correctional centre.

Ibrahim adjourned the matter until June 25 for further mention.

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/court-remands-driver-over-alleged-rail-track-vandalism/
Continue Reading

Damilare, Christiana emerge winners in Big Dreams Nigeria talent show NCDC announces 176 new COVID-19 infection in Nigeria UNGA Debate: Buhari urges global action against small arms S/Arabia to allow Umrah pilgrimage to resume from October – Report UNGA Debate: Buhari advocates uninhibited supply of safe coronavirus vaccines to all Nigeria High Commission in Canada reopens after six-month closure President Buhari’s UNGA75 National Statement Olowu condoles with COAS, says Col. Bako’s death a national tragedy 9 energy firms get $2.6m USAID grant to power rural clinics in Africa FCTA reiterates commitment to job creation through agriculture value chain Sanwo-Olu charges cabinet, officials to brace up for optimum performance I never accused NAN staff of fraud, says Lagos NUJ Chairman Navy deploys 6 warships for special military operation in 4 states Obiano inaugurates 18-member task force on human trafficking, irregular migrationar migration Buhari congratulates Plateau Dep. Gov. Tyoden at 70 Barbados tourism expert advises African operators on innovation Ramaphosa urges UN to take decisive action against racism Ex-governor Yari administration diverted N10.8bn for university project – Commissioner  Buhari consoles with Borno on loss of two Emirs Suspect wanted by FBI for $6m scam surrenders to EFCC — Official Lagos govt to train medical records personnel for effective service delivery AbdulRazaq updates Buhari on Kwara flood disaster, seeks FG support   Flood: NASG distributes relief materials to victims in 45 communities UN commends FG on improvement of humanitarian access in North-East Gov. Ganduje inaugurates NYSC governing board 8 states yet to implement new minimum wage – TUC COVID-19: We’ve flattened the curve, says Gov. Ganduje Silverbird Group to establish cinema outlets in Ebonyi FG alleges that multinationals companies drill for water without approval Electricity/Fuel pump hike: NLC insists on nationwide protest LASG receives 107,546 CA-COVID food palliative packs At UNGA, AU chairman solicits ‘comprehensive stimulus package’ for Africa Sanusi calls for diversification of economy to address poverty, inequality Food Council to ensure reduction in fertiliser price – Gov. Bagudu Kwara Assembly urges Gov AbdulRasaq to assist rainstorm victims I’m loyal to APC, not factions, says chieftain in Ibadan Oyo govt re-awards 9.7km Saki township road for N4.7bn Suarez language exam for Italian citizenship rigged, prosecutors insist Runsewe urges youths to uphold cultural values Late Emir of Zazzau was a father to all – NDA Spurs’ League Cup match called off due to COVID-19 cases at Orient Mixed reactions trail CBN‘s MPR cut 40 coys bid for NEPZA constituency projects Bale may extend Spurs’ stay beyond loan spell, agent says Minister urges fertilizer dealers to work in line with Fertilizer Act IBEDC apologises to customers over poor electricity supply NAICOM urges state govts to domesticate compulsory life insurance, others for citizens Minister advocates return of state sports festivals to enhance athletes’ competitiveness PMAN congratulates King Sunny Ade at 74 FRC partners agencies on monitoring, evaluation, project verification