Judiciary

Court nullifies indictment of ex-Nasarawa SSG over alleged N248.5m funds

Published

on


A High Court sitting in Akwanga, Nasarawa State on Friday declared the purported indictment of former Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Alhaji Aliyu Tijjani over alleged N284.5 million fraud by the House of Assembly as illegal, null, void and of no effect.


The House had indicted the SSG over alleged N284.5 million school projects’ funds when he was a Commissioner of Education in the state.

Ahmed-Tijani challenged the decision of the House over its recommendation for sack to Gov. Abdullahi Sule.

Delivering a ruling, Justice Mustapha Ramat, nullified the decision of the House on the grounds that it failed to afford the SSG fair hearing in the matter.

The Judge therefore voided the house recommendation for the sack of the SSG.

He held that the house of assembly did not give the  the former SSG fair hearing to defend himself in the matter.

The court further voided the  recommendation requesting the former SSG to refund N284.5 million allegedly unaccounted for as school projects’ funds when he was a Commissioner for Education in the state.

The judge held that the House by its recommendation without giving the former SSG fair hearing violated his fundamental human rights.

“The court recognizes the provision of the constitution that gives the governor the power to hire and fire, but the former SSG was not given fair hearing by the House Assembly,” Ramat said.

Gov. Sule on June 8, sacked Ahmed-Tijani as his SSG.

Reacting to the judgment, Counsel to the plaintiff, Shikamma Kassam- Sheltu, appreciated the court and described  the judiciary as the hope of an ordinary man.

Edited By: Kevin Okunzuwa/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/court-nullifies-indictment-of-ex-nasarawa-ssg-over-alleged-n248-5m-funds/

General news

Nasarawa APC pass Vote of Confidence on Gov Sule 

Published

on


The Nasarawa State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has passed a vote of confidence on the administration of Gov. Abdullahi Sule.


 

Mr Philip Sheckwo, Chairman of the party in the state stated this at a news conference held in Lafia on Saturday.

 

Sheckwo said the decision was taken at an expanded party exco meeting held in Lafia on Friday, Sept. 18.

 

“The meeting unanimously passed a vote of confidence on his Excellency, Gov. Abdullahi Sule,’’ he said.

 

The state chairman added that the party at the meeting also lauded the leadership of the Governor for involving the party in his administration.

 

He said the party also expressed satisfaction with the tremendous strides the administration had achieved so far.

 

“In less than two years, he has made a lot of impact on the administration of the state. On the overall development of the state, he has also made a lot of impact.

 

“He has made a lot of impact in all sectors. We express our gratitude and encourage him to continue in that direction,’’ he said.

 

Sheckwo said the achievements and healthy relationship with the party convinced party members in the state to pass a vote of confidence on the admi9nistration.

 

He also explained that the party discussed vital issues that touched on the progress of the party in the state and also made an appraisal of the gains of the party so far.

 

“The meeting, in line with the constitution of the party, encouraged stakeholders at the state and local government levels to shun any individual interest that may seem to override that of the unity of the party.

 

“Stakeholders are encouraged to synergize with the party at various levels both at the ward, local government and state levels, in order to witness more progress for the party in the state,’’ he said.

 

According to Sheckwo, party stalwarts also acknowledged with gratitude the cordial relationship between Gov. Abdullahi Sule and his predecessor, Sen. Umaru Al-Makura, who currently represents Nasarawa South Senatorial District at the Senate.

 

He added that Gov. Abdullahi Sule, all State Executive Committee members, local government chairmen and their secretaries, were in attendance at the meeting.

Edited By: Idonije Obakhedo
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/nasarawa-apc-pass-vote-of-confidence-on-gov-sule/
Continue Reading

Education

 Nasarawa Govt inaugurates 18-man committee on education sector

Published

on


Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa state has inaugurated an 18-member committee in the education sector to underscore issues as well as proffer solutions to them.


Speaking during the inauguration on Friday in Lafia, Sule said the committee was as put in place as a measure towards revamping the education sector in the state.

“Composition and inauguration of an education sector development plan is aimed at providing impetus for the actualization of the vision of this administration for the sector and by extension the state at large.

“It is worthy to state that both the outcome of the baseline survey carried out by the renowned expert and the recommendations of the summit will be made available to this committee for its guidance.

“Perhaps,  I should stress that the government was very meticulous in the selection of members of this committee out of a broad spectrum of the professionals within and outside the state in order for us to benefit from your own experiences,” he said.

He explained that the committee is to be guided by the terms of reference that involves a holistic look at the entire education system, school structures, and human capital in education as well as make appropriate recommendations.

“To appraise the implementation of the free education, school feeding, adult education, special education as well as family life special education in terms of relevance, coherence, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability in line with the objective of Nasarawa state Economic Development Strategy and to make appropriate recommendations.

“To examine the level of infrastructural decay in the post primary institutions, particularly in science designated schools, vocational and relevant technology centres, technical schools and information and communication technology centres in the state.

“You are to recommend measures for their transformation and upgrading in line with the current needs and realities of the state,” he said.

The governor, who expressed confidence on the members of the committee announced that the committee has 12 weeks within which to submit its report.

Hajiya Fati Sabo, Chairman of the committee and Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology pledged to be resolute towards carrying out the herculean task.

“Your excellency, I want to assure you that we will bring our professionalism and experience to bear for the benefit of Nasarawa state,” she said.

Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Felix Ajide
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/nasarawa-govt-inaugurates-18-man-committee-on-education-sector/
Continue Reading

General news

Ogun workers call off warning strike

Published

on


Organised Labour in Ogun has called off its seven-day warning strike which started on Wednesday, following resolution of some of the workers’ grievances with the state government.


The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the unions called off the proposed seven days warning strike on Friday after a heated deliberation with the state government in Abeokuta.

Secretary to the State Government (SSG), Tokunbo Talabi, who led the state delegation at the roundtable, submitted that the government recognized the legitimacy of the requests and demands made by labour.

He, however, noted that all differences could not be resolved at once but “we have gotten to a point of where we feel that the differences have been so reduced that our lives can move on.

“It has to be continuous; we are bound to have differences in opinion which we will come to an agreement,” Talabi said.

Reading out the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), Ogun Chairman of Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Emmanuel Bankole, gave reasons why labour called off the strike.

He said that organised labour

acknowledged state government’s willingness to meet the requests of the state workforce, after considering affordability and sustainability of government towards accommodating the resultant increment in view of the state’s present financial standing.

Bankole said some of the issues resolved included implementation of the new minimum wage to commence in October; payment of gratuity; outstanding promotion arrears of 2018 to 2020 and the 2020 Pension Amendment Bill, among others.

He explained that N500 million had been earmarked for the clearance of gratuity on quarterly basis, while payment would commence latest by January 2021.

“The meeting agreed to suspend action on the proposed Year 2020 Pension Amendment Bill with the plan to constitute a committee comprising both representatives of government and labour to take an in-depth look into the issue.

“The meeting also agreed that other demands by organized labour would be subject of joint reviews, the first of which will be in March, 2021,” he said.

Bankole, who was accompanied by the Joint Negotiating Council (JNC) Chairman, Olanrewaju Folorunsho, and Acting Chairman, Trade Union Congress (TUC), Akeem Lasisi, appreciated government for its prompt response.

He also commended government’s commitment to sustain payment of gross salary henceforth.

The labour leader, however, prayed government not to victimize any of its members for the roles played during the industrial action.

He promised that the state workforce would reciprocate the good gesture of government with continued dedication to duty.

Edited By: Wale Ojetimi
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/ogun-workers-call-off-warning-strike/
Continue Reading

Defence/Security

Military‘ll hunt Darul Salam terrorists group into extinction soon- DHQ

Published

on


The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the military with its aggressive clearance operations will push the Darul Salam Terrorists group into extinction in no distant time in the country.


The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. John Enenche, said this while fielding questions from newsmen at the weekly update on the operations of Armed Forces on Friday in Abuja.

Enenche said that the military was working relentlessly with all stakeholders to put an end to the operations of the group in the northern part of the country.

He said that the Defence Headquarters had determined to deploy both kinetic and non-kinetic means to rid the nation of the group and other forms of criminal elements.

He recalled that no fewer than 410 members of Darul Salam Terrorists group surrendered to the troops of Operation Whirl Stroke during an encounter at Uttu in Toto Local Government Area of Nasarawa State in August.

He said the terrorists who surrendered following an aggressive operations by troops and other security agencies at identified criminals’ enclaves included women and children.

“The group, I can assure you that in no distant time, will go into extinction.

“We are putting pressure on them, as all hands are on deck and we are getting good information; and we are tracking them with those that are suspected to be collaborators that fence them.

“So that is where we are now, and like I always say it is not always good for me to say this where they are or not, or to tell you that we are sending troops to anywhere, but we are on top of it.

“We are not assuming at all, because it is a group that their own motivation is based on ideology and most thing that is difficult to kill kinetically is ideology. So ideology can be defeated by all stakeholders, particularly those that speak to their conscience, that speak and touch their mind.

“I can assure you that all stakeholders are working together, particularly our religious partners in this regards, they are now sensitizing the general public to believe in the core religious practices and follow them, so that is what we are doing.

“We are not leaving any stone unturned, we are following aggressively, getting every information and we are getting good support,” he said.

He, therefore, appealed for more understanding and cooperation from Nigerians to enable the military win the war against terrorism.

He commended the public for its cooperation in providing credible information which has so far facilitated the successes of operations’ across the country.

He therefore sued for sustained military and civil cooperation, while also stressing the need for proactive and timely information to enable troops nip threats to security in the bud.

He vowed the readiness of the Armed Forces to sustain the momentum of on-going operations, until victory was attained.

“This is very necessary for enhancement of operational activities.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria assures that these offensives against the common enemies of this nation will not cease until normalcy is restored to all the troubled zones of the country,” he said.

Edited By: Ismail Abdulaziz
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/militaryll-hunt-darul-salam-terrorists-group-into-extinction-soon-dhq/
Continue Reading

FG seeks collaboration with Agric stakeholders to curb post-harvest losses LASG seeks quality healthcare service for increased patients’ patronage NPA expects 13 ships with petroleum products, others at Lagos port EPL: Rodriguez, Calvert-Lewin shine as Everton batter 10-man West Bromwich Albion Lawyer advocates leadership training for youths 3-storey school  building collapses in Lagos Edo election: Security team investigates reports of gunshots Edo poll: Gov. Obaseki faults INEC preparations Flooding: Kebbi Gov’t assures farmers on dry season farming FUOYE pledges to appoint VC, Registrar, others based on merit Minister, senator commend INEC on Edo election Electorate, observer commend conduct of election in Edo Zamfara APC: Sen. Marafa’s loyalists react to expulsion of Sirajo Garba, 125 others Flood: 1 out of 14 passengers rescued in Sokoto mishap  Edo Election: European Centre decries non-compliance to COVID-19 protocols Edo election: FRSC certifies 496 vehicles to convey electoral materials, personnel Gov. Ganduje urges Muslims to pray for peace, stability Edo 2020: Card Readers fail to authenticate fingerprints in Esan West, Central Rivers: NEMA engages stakeholders on flooding challenge Foundation donates food, other gifts items to widows in Abuja Nasarawa APC pass Vote of Confidence on Gov Sule  Plateau: NFC trains 60 youths in Modern Film Techniques Edo Election: Obaseki queues up to vote Edo: Presiding Officers, Observer commend electoral process in Ward 4 Gunmen invade relaxation spot in Kogi, kill one, injure many Edo 2020: Voters observe social distancing Motorists decry deplorable roads in Southern Kaduna Ember Months: FRSC urges motorists to drive patiently, apply controlled-speed Edo Polls: Ize-Iyamu votes at Ugboko ward 4, commends conduct of Election NDLEA clarifies stand on drug integrity test for intending couples  Edo election: Presiding officers insist on no face masks, no voting Edo 2020: Massive turnout of voters witnessed at polling units Troops rescue 22 kidnapped victims in Zamfara, Katsina Restriction order in Edo: Motorists, travellers stranded in Okpella FEMA alerts Abuja residents of severe flood Ibadan Poly sacks lecturer over alleged sexual misconduct Edo governorship election begins orderly amid massive securirty, movement restriction COVID-19: NCDC announces 221 new cases, total infections rise to 56,956 Women affairs minister urges Ebonyi Govt. to check early girl-child marriage Reed grabs halfway lead, as Tiger misses cut at United States Open Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says Whirlwind Bayern Munich dismantle Schalke 8-0 in season opener FG set to support 1.7 million businesses, individuals — Minister Niger Govt opens Minna-Bida road to articulated vehicles Laloko wants 25% of local players in Super Eagles Divers rescue 5 as bus plunges into river in Ebonyi Visa Ban: FG says sanctioning electoral offenders disrespectful to Nigeria’s sovereignty Edo 2020: PDP Reps caucus condemn seige on governors by security agents APC receives former Saraki commissioner, others in Kwara Lawmaker promises APC befitting secretariat in Kwara