Judiciary

Court dissolves 2-year-old marriage over husband’s failure to pay rent, hardship

Published

on


A Grade I Area Court in Kubwa, Abuja, on Friday dissolved a two-year-old marriage between Khadija Sani and Abdulsalam Hassan  over his failure to pay rent and hardship.


Sani in her petition, prayed the court to dissolve her marriage on grounds of lack of love, hardship and Hassan’s failure to pay rent.

The petitioner of Mpape, Abuja said Hassan had not performed his duties as a provider since she married him under the Islamic law on Nov.9, 2018.

The mother of one revealed that Hassan could not feed her or afford the hospital bills when she had her child.

She added that she had been living with her parents since December 2019 and begged the court to dissolve her marraige.

Hassan who begged the court on Aug. 25 to give him sometime to settle with his wife said he had tried his best to settle with her to no avail.

 ” I have consented to the divorce and demand to be paid all I spent during our wedding.

” Sadaq( dowry) of N70, 000, money spent on her parents for the wedding, N30, 000, the sum of N20, 000 to ask for her hand in marriage and N150, 000 for a set of box and clothes, ” he said.

Sani in response  told the court that she was ready to pay Hassan back adding that  the set of box and clothes were still intact and will be returned back to him.

The Presiding judge, Muhammad Adamu, ordered Sani to pay Hassan N120, 000 to relieve herself from the marriage bond since she admitted to collecting the said items .

Adamu however said the set of boxes and clothes were not refundable and should be in the petitioner’s possession.

” After the said sum of N120, 000 is paid, the certificate of divorce would be issued to the petitioner by the court, ” he said.

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/court-dissolves-2-year-old-marriage-over-husbands-failure-to-pay-rent-hardship/

Foreign

United States court allows publication of John Bolton’s book, in blow to Trump

Published

on


A United States court on Saturday ruled that the publication of a tell-all book by former national security adviser John Bolton can move forward, denying an attempt by President Donald Trump’s administration to prevent its release.


In his decision Judge Royce Lamberth said that the government failed to prove “irreparable harm” by halting the book’s publication, since much of its contents have already been disclosed through media reports.

“With hundreds of thousands of copies around the globe – many in newsrooms – the damage is done,” Lamberth said in his decision. “There is no restoring the status quo.”

But Lamberth also slammed Bolton saying he “gambled with the national security of the United States” and has exposed himself to possible forfeiture of profits and criminal liability in future court proceedings for failing to fully comply with the government’s classified information review.

The book, titled “The Room Where It Happend,” is scheduled to be released this Tuesday. It depicts Trump’s foreign policy as feckless and driven by personal interest.

Bolton says Trump asked his Chinese counterpart to purchase United States agricultural products to help his re-election bid.

He also told Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan that he could intervene in a law enforcement probe to aid a Turkish bank, according to experts published in media reports.

The court’s decision will likely ensure a wider readership of the bombshell book, which comes roughly four months before the US presidential election.

Trump called the decision a “BIG COURT WIN against Bolton” despite losing the injunction request and referred to Bolton as a warmonger who “likes dropping bombs on people, and killing them.”

“Bolton broke the law and has been called out and rebuked for so doing, with a really big price to pay,” Trump said. “Now he will have bombs dropped on him!”

Lamberth said Bolton’s allegation that the White House classification review process was politically motivated did not hold up and he should have allowed more time for review of his 500-page manuscript.

“Many Americans are unable to renew their passports within four months, but Bolton complains that reviewing hundreds of pages of a National Security Advisor’s tell-all deserves a swifter timetable,” Lamberth said.

In his conclusion, Judge Royce Lamberth wrote that Bolton had also “exposed his country to harm and himself to civil [and potentially criminal] liability.”

IAA

Edited By: Isaac Aregbesola (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/united-states-court-allows-publication-of-john-boltons-book-in-blow-to-trump/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court sentences businessman to 5 years imprisonment for forgery, cheating

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Gwagwalada, FCT, on Tuesday sentenced a businessman, Eze Solomon, to five years imprisonment for forgery and cheating.


Chief Magistrate, Baba Shani, sentenced Solomon to three years for forgery and two years for cheating, without an option of fine.

Shani also ordered the convict to pay N3 million as compensation to a businesswoman, Ms Julkart Dangin.

He said that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to the convict and others from committing such crime in future.

” The convict also misled the court by lying about being ill and forging a fake hospital report to that effect which during investigations revealed was not true,” he said.

Shani said that the prosecution counsel, Emeka Ihekoronye, has proved his case beyond reasonable doubt.

Ihekoronye told the court that Solomon forged documents of two shops located in Wuse market and had been collecting rent from 2005 to 2011.

He said that the shops originally belonged to Dangin, who thought that the said shops have been revoked by the Federal Capital Territory Administration all this while.

He said Solomon deceived the occupants of the said shops with forged documents claiming to be the caretaker of the said property and has so far collected N6 million from them as rent.

The prosecution counsel said that the occupants of the shops, Mr Ikechuchwu Ebowusi and Leonard Ogoli, reported the matter to the police when their shops were sealed by the FCT Administration for not paying ground rate.

He said that when the occupants approached Solomon on why the rate was not paid, he promised to pay but never did.

The prosecution counsel said police investigations revealed that the convict was never the caretaker or given custody of the shops by the owner.

He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 320 and 364 of the Penal Code.

Edited By: Tayo Ikujuni/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/court-sentences-businessman-to-5-years-imprisonment-for-forgery-cheating/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Alleged fraud: Court admits taxi driver to N2m bail

Published

on


Justice Peter Kekemeke of an FCT High Court Nyanya on Tuesday admitted a taxi driver, Paschal Chijioke, who allegedly swindled a businesswoman too bail in the sum of N2 million.


The police charged Chijioke with two counts bordering on armed robbery.

The police alleged that the defendant, with others who are  at large, on Sept. 2, 2019 in Karu , FCT while armed with dangerous weapons robbed Ms Christiana Ogundipe N200, 000.

The police also alleged that the defendant stole a techno cell phone value at N45,000.

The offence, the police said, contravened the provisions of sections 6 (b) of Robbery and firearms special provision Act, Laws of the Federation.

 

Kekemeke admitted the defendant to bail following an application for bail moved by defence counsel, Mr J.A. Mustapha.

The prosecution counsel Mr Chukwuemeka Ugwuanya did not object to the bail application.

“I have taken a careful notice of the complaint of the complainant,  the evidence is not such that can warrant the refusal of his bail.

 

” The weight of the evidence seems light,  the defendant is deemed Innocent until proven guilty,  in the circumstance of this case I shall exercise my discretion in favour of the defendant.

 

” The defendant is hereby granted bail in sum of N2 million and two sureties in like sum, one who must be owner of certificate of occupancy within Abuja ” he ordered.

 

He then adjourned the matter until  Sept. 28 for trial.

Earlier,  when the charge was read to the defendant, he pleaded not guilty but the judge admonished him to tell the court the truth.

 

” The court is not the place to lie, it will not help you,  did you do these things? the judge asked .

 

The defendant then told the court that on that faithful day ‘we took the victim to Mararaba , we were three in number’

 

“One of us claimed to be a foreigner who brought goods like iPhones and gold necklaces for sale.

 

“He said he doesn’t have Nigerian currency, so we then agreed that we are going to help him get Nigerian money.

 

“We then went to where we can do that ,on getting there we told him that we have a film, It is the film that we will wash in a chemical and it will  turn to money” he said.

 

He told the court that when that was done, it turned to money  and they asked how they can get the chemical.

 

He added that they were directed to a laboratory scientist.

 

” We all were able to contribute certain amount, after the process, and the victim promised to contribute N200, 000 which she did after  four days.

 

The Judge said ,  “now that you have said the truth, it will go a long way to help you.” (NAN)

Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

 

 

https://nnn.ng/alleged-fraud-court-admits-taxi-driver-to-n2m-bail/
Continue Reading

Judiciary

Court remands driver over alleged rail track vandalism

Published

on


A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kafanchan, Kaduna State on Tuesday  ordered  a  23-year-old driver, Haliru Jibrin, to be remanded in a correctional facility over alleged vandalism.


The police charged Jibrin wity criminal consiparcy, mischief and theft, contrary to sections 317, 275 and 327 of the Kaduna State Penal Code Law.

The state counsel, Mathias Joseph, told the court that the defendant was arrested by men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps  (NSCDC) on June 6.

Joseph alleged that the defendant and two others, now at large, went to the railway tracks along Katul crossing in Kachia and damaged some rail facilities.

When the charges were read to him, he pleaded not guilty.

The prosecution thereafter prayed the court for an adjournment to enable the state call its witnesses to prove its case against the accused person.

In his ruling, the presiding judge, Abdulaziz Ibrahim, ordered that the defendant be remanded in  Kafanchan correctional centre.

Ibrahim adjourned the matter until June 25 for further mention.

Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Sadiya Hamza (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/court-remands-driver-over-alleged-rail-track-vandalism/
Continue Reading

NCDC announces 195 new COVID-19 cases, death toll hits 1,100 NSE, others commit to expanding retail investment opportunities in capital market Imo Govt. moves to restore Owerri masterplan to check flooding Cyber-security: CSCS chief, others say collaboration key APC congratulates Gov. Obaseki on his re-election as Edo State Governor Tinubu hails wife at 60 No directive to constitute disciplinary c’tee against us — Ojudu, others NCAA to revoke erring airlines license over non-compliance with COVID-19 protocols African tourism leaders recommend MICE for sectoral recovery  We have finally caged the lions from Edo politics, says Gov. Obaseki Awosika, Dare, others to speak at NBC Youth Summit Edo speaker congratulates Obaseki, commends Buhari, INEC, others  Konsa seals Villa win over 10-man Sheffield United Group condemns attacks on women during governorship election in Edo COVID-19: NCDC says Nigeria not testing adequately Police arrest 96 suspects over alleged cultism, robbery in Benue Gov. AbdulRazaq announces committee on Saturday’s rainstorm in Kwara Edo election: Observer faults integrity of governorship election Motorists decry state of roads in Kuje Kaduna NLC mourns Emir of Zazzau Health Minister says 10% of COVID-19 cases are under-19 Edo Polls: SDP congratulates Obaseki, commends INEC Buhari to Okorocha at 58: Your large heart will always stand you out Kuje PDP inaugurates leaders of South-West group Ogun community lauds Airtel for restoring electricity 15 years after disconnection Netflix announces new original contents from Nigeria Minister inaugurates committees on sales, distributions of agro-chemical inputs NCPC boss honours Bauchi, celebrates ‘Word Peace Day’ in the state 20 ships discharging petrol other items at Lagos port – NPA FG spends N8.9t on subsidy in 10 years -PPPRA NSCDC prevents thieves from diverting 1,100 litres of PMS across border NAHCON mourns Emir of Zazzau Fayemi inaugurates steering committee on Open Government Partnership NCC set to commence cost-based review of new rates for International voice calls services Osinbajo Engages APC Social Media Influencers on hate speech NCDC, NIMR, partners to conduct COVID-19 antibody tests in 4 states Organisation trains varsity students on anti-corruption skills COVID-19: PTF warns against neglect of protocols Osinbajo, UNN students discuss technology, innovation ECOWAS Court set to resume from extended vacation on Oct. 7 Gov. Zulum inaugurates committee on LG pensioners, gratuities payment Rohr calls up 21 old faces, 4 new faces for Super Eagles’ 2 friendlies At 75, UN remains true to aspirations of founders -Buhari NAF trains 435 specialists to man its platforms Civil servants in C/River protest removal of names from payroll Oyo schools resume, comply with COVID-19 guidelines, staggered session NSE market indicators resume week with 0.01% growth Sokoto: Hisbah arrest 3 over alleged circulation of rape video on social media Akufo-Addo calls for stronger regional approach to quash terrorism in ECOWAS sub-region New Emir of Biu receives appointment letter