ABUJA, Nigeria, February 18, 2021, – / African Media Agency (AMA) / – The 12th General Assembly of the Governing Council of the Council of African Ministers of Water (AMCOW) will be held virtually on February 18, 2021.
The biennial Assembly brings together the 55 Ministers responsible for Water and Sanitation, also called the Governing Council, the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), the liaison officers of the Member States, as well as representatives of the African Union Commission.
The Assembly will be preceded by the Session of the Technical Advisory Committee from 15 to 17.
At the General Assembly, the Governing Council will consider the recommendations of the Technical Advisory Committee and make decisions that will guide AMCOW’s policies and strategic directions for the next two years.
During the meeting, HE Alain-Claude BILIE-BY-NZE, Minister of State and Minister of Energy and Water Resources of the Republic of Gabon and current president of AMCOW, will formally hand over the presidency of AMCOW to H.E. Carl Hermann Gustav Schlettwein, Minister of Agriculture, Water and Agrarian Reform of the Republic of Namibia.
The General Assembly is also expected to consider the adoption of the African Sanitation Policy Guidelines which aim to provide the necessary guidance to African countries to develop the necessary sanitation and hygiene policies to create a firm foundation for improving access to sanitation and hygiene services, thereby improving the health and well-being of the African population and strengthening the continent’s resistance to pandemics such as the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), which has put greater pressure on the existing water, sanitation infrastructure and hygiene and slowed investments in the water and sanitation sector.
The Governing Council will further provide guidance on AMCOW’s strategic path and coordination to drive Africa’s resilience, recovery and growth through improved access to water and sanitation services.
- Tanzania tries to bring back contraband chameleons seized in Austria
- Desert locust invasion destroys huge cultivated land in Ethiopia – UN
- African Football – Election of the African Football Confederation (CAF): Ceremony of African Unity
- Media advisory – African football – Election of the African Football Confederation (CAF): Ceremony of African Unity
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (March 5, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 update (March 5, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (March 5, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (March 5, 2021)
- Coronavirus – Djibouti: The first quantity of COVID-19 vaccines arrives in Djibouti