This was contained in a statement by Aminu Suleman, Public Relations Officer (PRO) for the command and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria in Benin on Thursday.
Suleman said that the commencement followed the sentencing of violators of the Edo Government directive on Social Distancing, compulsory use of nose masks and other instructions.
He said the violators were sentenced to carry out Community services by Mobile courts constituted by the state government.
He added that the Officer In charge of the Non-Custodial Service in the state command, Joy Obayagbona, stated that the NCoS Act 2019 was being complied with as it concerns the Non-Custodial measures.
He stated that Obayagbona had commended the Edo Government, represented by the State Commissioner of Justice, Prof. Yinka Omorogbe and the Edo Chief Judge, Justice Ester Edigin for setting up the Mobile Courts with consideration to sentencing offenders to non-Custodial tasks rather than sending them on remand at the already congested Custodial Centres.
He explained that the Controller of Corrections in Edo, Mr Joseph Usendiah, had ensured the implementation of the Act and thanked him for his support.
“She also appreciated the Controller General of Corrections Ja’afaru Ahmed for ensuring that the Correctional Service has a system on ground to handle the present development.
“She advised the general public, particularly residents of the state, to comply with government directives in order to curtail and bring to an end the rampaging COVID-19 pandemic.
“Reports available to this office indicates that some persons have completed their tasks while others are still ongoing, including those sentenced today (Thursday)”, Suleman quoted.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-37wk
- If I were Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, by Suleiman Uba Gaya
- Jailbreaks bad omen for Nigeria’s fight against insecurity – PPBA
- ECOWAS Commission not doing enough to hold member states to obligations – Prof. Nwoke
- On International Day of Persons with Disabilities, the UN calls for increased recognition of persons with disabilities
- Nigerian troops lose 7, kill 24 ISWAP terrorists during attack at Military Base in Rann
- Gov. Umahi has no plans to return to PDP – says APC
- Umahi has no plans to return to PDP, says APC
- Joint Standing Committee on Defence calls for accountability on 1 Military Hospital refurbishment programme
- 5 cases of Omicron variant confirmed in New York state: governor
- Buhari mourns Kano kingmaker, Mukhtar Adnan
- Inauguration of youth dialogue would strengthen S/Africa-Nigeria leadership – Envoy
- Finland opens embassies in Dakar and Doha
- Lawmaker says intense sensitisation required to increase vaccination rate in W/Africa
- Eastern African Standby Force (EASF) Director pays courtesy call on Principal Secretary for Foreign Affairs
- All proceedings concerning Mali and Guinea suspended: an obstruction of justice for victims of human rights violations