By Afusat Agunbiade-Oladipo
He said such a move would improve the fortunes of many of them and make them better people in society.
Baba-Usman said child care centers, especially in Ilorin, the state capital, are overcrowded.
“Oke-Kura, which was built for 121 inmates, now has 477 inhabitants and Mandala, which was built for 160 inmates, now accommodates 281,” he said.
He added that the state’s chief justice, Judge Saidu Kawu, on the basis of the exclusive right, promised to seek to grant an amnesty to some unconvicted inmates in correctional centers.
The comptroller explained that the decongestion issues at the correctional center are linked to so many factors related to the police, courts and prosecution, adding that there is a chain of transformation and if one side fails, it will affect the ‘other.
He therefore urged members of the public to show love to those in detention by offering them gifts that could improve their lives especially in this month of Ramadan.
Baba-Usman, however, called on the state government to establish a branch of the vocational training center at Ajase-Ipo Correctional Center for inmates to benefit from and learn the skills of their choice before the end of their prison term.
Regarding the change of command name from Nigeria Prison Command to Nigeria Correctional Service Center, the comptroller said he was following the enactment of the new law which came into effect on December 31, 2019.
According to him, when the law was promulgated, it left room for many innovations and it was necessary to take into account some of the areas which were not covered by the old law.
“Overall, prison or correctional activities have not been abandoned, the law has only corrected some areas that have not been covered and there is a broadening of the scope and it does not exist. not in Nigeria from the start.
“Management felt this is happening around the world; it is therefore necessary to move forward with time because the law is not new in the advanced countries ”, declared the controller.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yQx
- LASG to partner German firm on agribusiness
- Kano Govt to inaugurate waste recycling project, create 4,000 jobs –official
- FG delegation to visit Ghana over Nigerian/Ghanaian traders’ conflict
- NGX opens week upbeat with N59bn growth
- Kwara launches interest-free loans for young entrepreneurs
- Only FG can guarantee financial autonomy for judiciary, says SAN
- FG declares Wednesday, Thursday, as Public Holidays to mark Eid-eI-Fitr celebration
- Army debunks alleged deployment of only Northern officers to S/East
- Buhari congratulates designer of National Flag, Michael Akinkunmi at 85