The Ministry of Health (MOH) and its stakeholders are leading an intra-action national review of the COVID-19 response with support from the World Health Organization (WHO). The exam will last six days, from 06 to 10 April 2021, and will be held at the Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara International Conference Center. The review aims to improve the national response to COVID-19 and strengthen the capacity to respond effectively to any emergency.
The intra-action review brings together ten COVID-19 sub-committees to share their experiences and analyze the ongoing COVID-19 response in the country. More than 35 participants from government, United Nations, civil society organizations and other partners share best practices, challenges and lessons learned. Pillars of the response examined include coordination, surveillance, points of entry, laboratory, case management, infection prevention and control, logistics safety and security, risk communication and engagement community, psychosocial support and research, and immunization.
Muhamadou Lamin Jaiteh, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health thanked WHO for supporting the timely intra-action review meeting and said this will help update the national COVID19 response plan for 2021 .
Muhamadou Lamin Jaiteh said: “As part of international best practice, we need to pose and examine what has happened so far to learn, fix and chart a course to improve our future actions. This had been crowned with success thanks to technical and financial support from WHO. On behalf of the Minister, I would like to thank WHO for this strong support. “
Dr Desta Tiruneh, WHO Country Representative, said: “The intra-action review is an opportunity to review the performance of the country’s response to COVID19, document best practices and identify gaps in the different pillars of the response. Building an effective response will help us ensure the continuity of essential health services needed by vulnerable groups of the population such as children, women and those suffering from certain diseases that require prompt attention. “
According to the representative of the World Food Program (WFP), Yasuhiro Tsumura, “We are delighted to support the country’s response to COVID-19 as the co-chair of national logistics for the response to COVID-19. WFP is supporting the response to COVID-19 through the ongoing national rice distribution program to combat the impact of the pandemic on the population. “
Yaya Sanyang, national COVID-19 coordinator, said there was a resurgence of COVID-19 cases in The Gambia and stressed the need to comply with all COVID-19 preventive measures. “There is a recognizable resurgence of COVID-19 and an overall low level of compliance with COVID-19 preventive measures across the country,” said Yaya Sanyang.
At the end of the six days of deliberation, the Ministry of Health and its stakeholders are expected to present a review report on the COVID19 response in 2020 and an updated COVID19 response plan for 2021.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yHG
- Kano Govt to inaugurate waste recycling project, create 4,000 jobs –official
- FG delegation to visit Ghana over Nigerian/Ghanaian traders’ conflict
- NGX opens week upbeat with N59bn growth
- Kwara launches interest-free loans for young entrepreneurs
- Only FG can guarantee financial autonomy for judiciary, says SAN
- FG declares Wednesday, Thursday, as Public Holidays to mark Eid-eI-Fitr celebration
- Army debunks alleged deployment of only Northern officers to S/East
- Buhari congratulates designer of National Flag, Michael Akinkunmi at 85
- INEC increases polling units in Anambra to 5,720