A generation of athletes could miss going to the Olympics if the Tokyo Games are canceled or postponed again, warned Sebastian Coe, president of World Athletics.
Coe notes that hosting this year’s Tokyo Olympics is going through “incredibly difficult times.”
But he added that there were several COVID-19 protocols in place and that organizers were working hard to reassure Japanese residents.
“There will be no remote possibility of a retry,” Coe said Wednesday.
“It will be a cancellation and the athletes we are working so hard with around the world to organize this competition would probably, for a generation of them, have missed the opportunity to go to the Games.”
He added that it would be a “different kind of Games” for athletes even when the Games take place in July, with sightseeing not allowed this year. (dpa / NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3yOv
- Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (May 5, 2021)
- Day of the Midwife: Invest in midwives to save more lives — UNFPA
- Liquid Telecom unveils new identity, Liquid Intelligent Technologies in Botswana as it establishes itself as the digital services partner of choice for African businesses
- Buhari salutes ex-NSC DG Al-Hassan Yakmut at 60
- Chelsea whip Real Madrid to reach Champions League final
- Video press release: Weekly press briefing on the coronavirus epidemic
- Enugu State inaugurates board for universal health coverage
- Video Press Release: WHO Africa COVID-19 Online Briefing
- Singer Paul Okoye hits 1m subscribers on YouTube, receives gold plaque