By Sumaila Ogbaje
Yahaya said this when Russian Ambassador to Nigeria Alexey Shebarshin paid him a courtesy visit to his office in Abuja on Thursday.
He said Nigeria and Russia have been cooperating for decades, adding that some of the military equipment used by the Nigerian military has been purchased from Russia.
According to him, we will take advantage of the envoy’s visit to explore new areas.
He listed some of the areas to include Nigerian army aviation, artillery equipment, and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).
According to him, the army is particularly interested in drones in order to have a longer surveillance capacity to facilitate counterinsurgency operations.
“We have a lot of demands and we know we can get support from Russia.
“We will discuss further and see the areas where we can cooperate,” he said.
Earlier, the Russian ambassador to Nigeria said that the Russian defense had made many inroads in the field of war equipment.
The ambassador said his country could be of great importance to Nigeria in continuing the ongoing counterinsurgency operations.
According to him, Nigeria occupies a very important position in Africa, because the peace and stability of the country are of paramount interest to Russia.
He said Nigeria must do everything to resist the onslaught of terrorists and bandits in order to be able to ensure stability and development, adding that any nation that wants peace must do whatever it takes.
“We are here today because we know that the Nigerian military today is the basis of stability in your country and that peace is absolutely necessary to solve the development problems in your country.
“Our idea is that Nigeria is a point of central and vital importance in Africa and that the stability and development of your country will stabilize the African continent.
“We think it’s in our best interest because we have many multinational companies in different countries,” he said.
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3D0s
- US Fashion designer Virgil Abloh, 41, dies of cancer
- FCT badminton club hosts maiden championship in Kubwa
- World Bank, El-Rufai applaud Kyari, as NNPC intensifies petroleum sector reform
- WHO Stands with African Nations and Calls for Borders to Remain Open
- NDLEA intercepts 12,385kg “Loud” marijuana in Lagos
- Incorporate recommendations into teaching curriculum to take Art Schools forward — Rector YABATECH
- “1115 C of O’s Yet to Be Collected by Applicants” – Oyo Govt
- CAC deploys e-Platform for registration of LLPs coy
- NSE, COREN commends Gov. Abiodun On Infrastructural Development
- UK to enforce new Covid rules from Tuesday
- Tens of thousands protest Austria compulsory vaccination
- French minister flies to Caribbean islands after mooting autonomy
- James Bond fan Fiala named Czech prime minister
- Buhari charges agric varsities to bridge food insecurity gap
- NIPC partners Isreali Embassy on i-FAIR 2021/22