Climate Parliament tasks international community on investment in renewable energy
Climate Parliament Nigeria, has called on the international community to harness the potentials of the nation’s energy sector to invest in renewable energy.
Its Chairperson, Rep. Sam Onuigbo, made the call at the opening of a two-day Climate Parliament workshop in Abuja.
“Let me use this medium to call on the international community with private finance to come and invest in Nigeria’s renewable energy sub-sector as a way of helping to solve Nigeria’s energy problem.
“The time to take advantage of the massive investment opportunity is now. There is need to avoid the mistakes that occurred during the privatisation of the telecommunications sub-sector,” Onuigbo said.
He urged the Federal Government to expedite action on the inauguration of the National Council on Climate Change, in line with the Act which came into force on Nov. 17, 2021.
The lawmaker recalled that the Act, aimed at achieving net zero carbon emission, was signed by President Mohammadu Buhari in November 2021.
According to him, it also provides timelines for attainment of specific objectives.
He added that the time was running out on the country to birth the council that would drive the Act towards realising its objectives.
Onuigbo, who midwived the Climate Change Bill, said the non implementation of provisions of the Act was a source of concern for Nigerians.
He said Climate Parliament had been in the forefront of advocacy and conversation around climate change, especially as it had to do with renewable energy.
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family