A Senior Pastor with Christ Apostolic Church, Pastor Olu Akeju has advised Christians to dedicate their life to the service of God.
Akeju, the District Coordinating Council Superintendent of CAC Oniyo, Ado-Ekiti, stated this at the funeral service of Elder Emmanuel Adubina, the father of Mrs Abiodun Oluleye, an Editor with the News Agency of Nigeria , at Ilogbo, in Ido-Osi Local Government Area of Ekiti State.
Adubina died at the age of 79 on the June 12, 2020.
Akeju in his sermon titled “facts about death” with text from Genesis Chapter 5, said it was possible to conquer death through a dedicated life to the service of God.
He said: “Enoch walked with God and He did not see death. He was no more because God took him.
“It is also possible to conquer death through your did or works for God while on earth,” Akeju said.
He listed some of the facts about death to include; death is a certainty, death is callous and death can be conquered.
Akeju said that death is a certainty, as no one could escape it, saying anyone who was born must die.
“Death is callous. It has no respect for anyone. It sometimes killed a person, who is least expected to die. Death has no regard for anybody’s age, status, religion or academic qualification,” Akeju said.
The Owa of Ilogbo, Oba Edward Ajayi, in his tribute eulogised the good virtues of the deceased, urging the family to sustain his good legacies.
He also urged youths of the community to emulate the good works of Late Adubina, especially in the development of the community and the church of God.
Oluleye, daughter of the deceased, described his late father as disciplined and prayerful man who dedicated his life to God.
She said that the way they were disciplined from the tendered age was one of the reasons for their success in life.
Edited By: Felix Ajide (NAN)
FUOYE pledges to appoint VC, Registrar, others based on merit
The Management of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE), has assured candidates applying for the Vice Chancellor, Registrar and other positions in the institution of appointments based on merit.
The Deputy Director of Corporate Services of the university, Mr Adeyinka Ademuyiwa, gave the assurance in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Oye-Ekiti on Saturday.
He explained that the vacant positions in all the faculties and departments of the university had been advertised for in its website, newspapers and other social media platforms for interested candidates to apply.
Ademuyiwa noted that the position of the vice chancellor and the registrar were esteem offices which would be occupied by persons with high integrity, decency, commitment and love for peace.
“I wish to assure our stakeholders and candidates who have applied for different vacant positions in our university that they will be appointed purely on merit.
“I want to refute all allegations levelled against the vice chancellor and the governing council that they are trying to impose person or persons to fill the position of the vice chancellor and registrar respectively.
“The university Vice Chancellor, Prof. Kayode Soremekun, is a hardworking, diligent, honest and trustworthy gentleman who believes in fairness.
“He is planning to make sure that the peace that he has been sustaining in the university for over four years remains after his tenure ends.
“The vice chancellor is also determined to ensure that nobody is deprived of his or her rightful positions in as much as such person qualifies for the position that he or she applied for,” he said.
Ademuyiwa also said the university’s Governing Council led by Dr Mohammed Yahuza, whom he described as a transparent man, was committed to developing it and making appointments based on merit.
He said the institution’s management was only advising those bent on destroying the good image of the vice chancellor and the institution by spreading false information regarding the recruitment of staff, to stop.
“The door of the corporate services department of the university is always open to anybody who wishes to verify any information regarding the mode of recruiting or any other issue,” he said.
Ademuyiwa, however charged journalists not to allow themselves to be used to spread false information which could destroy the image of the university.
Edited By: Constance Imasuen/Ejike Obeta
COVID-19: NCDC announces 221 new cases, total infections rise to 56,956
The NCDC made this known on its official twitter handle on Friday.
According to it, the new cases are confirmed from 18 states in the country.
The new infections brought the total number of confirmed cases to 56,956 in Nigeria.
The public health agency said that Lagos had 59, the highest number of cases, followed by Abia with 46 cases and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), 22.
Among others were; Rivers, 11, Bauchi, 7, Benue, Ekiti and Imo, 6 each, Kaduna, Kwara and Ondo, 4 each, Ogun and Osun, 3 each, Bayelsa, Edo and Kano, 1 each.
According to it, those discharged on Friday include 100 community recoveries managed in Oyo State in line with new case management guidelines.
The health agency sadly recorded one more death, which brought the national death toll to 1,094.
It noted that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC) activated at Level 3 had continued to coordinate the national response activities across the country.
It cautioned that the risk of getting infected with COVID-19 was higher when people did not wear face mask in public places.
“Wear your face mask properly at all times. Adhere to all non-pharmaceutical preventive measures of COVID-19,” it urged Nigerians.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that as the people of Edo State prepared to vote their preferred candidates at the governorship election on Saturday, Sept. 19, NCDC urged all to observe the COVID-19 guidelines recently released.
It noted that relevant stakeholders must take actions that would reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 during the election.
“Ensure there is hand hygiene and temperature checks at the campaign ground, polling stations; providing additional polling stations or booths to ensure physical distancing, with clearly marked floors to enforce spacing on queues.
”Mandating the use of face mask for everyone, regular cleaning of polling stations, tables and other surfaces highly essential because those are the areas that are easy to contract the virus.
”Multiply hand-washing points or alcohol-based hand sanitiser, while staff at the polling units should practice hand hygiene frequently,.”
Edited By: Chidinma Agu/Hadiza Mohammed-Aliyu
Lawmaker promises APC befitting secretariat in Kwara
Rep. Tunji Ajuloopin, member representing Ekiti/Isin/Irepodun/Oke-Ero Federal Constituency of Kwara, has promised a befitting party secretariat for the All Progressives Congress (APC), in Irepodun local government area of the state.
Ajuloopin made the promise in Omu-Aran, the headquarters of the local government, on Friday during an expanded meeting of the party.
The lawmaker said that irrespective of some of the challenges bedeviling the party either at ward, council or state level, it was still on the right path.
Ajuloopin harped on the need for party supremacy and admonished members not to relent in contributing their quota to the growth of the party.
He urged members to sustain their support for Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s administration in his bid to deliver on the party’s promises.
He reiterated commitment to the ideal of the party, adding that he would do his best to better the lots of the local government.
Ajuloopin called on all aspirants to remove desperation from their aspiration and support whoever emerged at the party’s primaries, saying the interest of the party should come first.
Mr Shuaib Olarewaju, an APC stalwart, urged all appointees from the local government to familiarise themselves with the structure at the grassroots as there had been complaints of inaccessibility.
He also appealed to the federal government to improve on its job creation so that people could reap more from President Muhammadu Buhari’s led administration.
Edited By: Abiodun Esan/Donald Ugwu
COVID-19 FG will support MSMEs with N75bn loan — DG SMEDAN
The Federal Government will support Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) with N75 billion survival fund to cushion the negative effects of COVID-19 pandemic on small businesses.
Alhaji Dikko Radda, Director-General, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency (SMEDAN), dislosed this during the closing of National Business Skills Development Initiative (NBSDI) in Katsina on Friday.
The SMEDAN boss said that the N75billion survival loan would support 500,000 MSMEs and 333,000 artisans across the country.
He pointed out that the implementation of the N75 billion MSMEs Survival Fund nationwide would help to cushion the negative effects of COVID-19 pandemic on small businesses.
He explained that NBSDI was designed to provide entrepreneurship skill and empowerment material (equipment) to bridge the capacity gap of the youth.
According to him, the programme is also aimed at enhancing youth engagement in productive ventures, thereby ensuring that they become independent.
“The initiative is designed to ensure that more professional services will be provided by local and well trained young artisans leading to reduction in job losses to immigrants from neighbouring countries.
“It further seeks to pursue a drastic reduction in poverty as most of the our of youths who still rely on stipends from parents are empowered to become self – reliant,” Radda said.
The DG announced that the National Business Development Initiative was being implemented in seven states of the federation.
There are Katsina, Rivers, Delta, Ebonyi, Adamawa, Niger, Lagos, Kwara, Bauchi , Zamfara and Ekiti where a total of 1,397 entrepreneurs will benefit from the programme.
Edited By: Chinyere Nwachukwu/Wale Ojetimi