Foreign

Chinese court sentences another Canadian to death for drugs

Published

on


A Chinese court said, on Friday, it had sentenced a Canadian, Ye Jianhui, to death for transporting and manufacturing drugs.


Jianhui becomes second Canadian in two days to receive a death penalty for drugs and fourth since Canada detained a top Huawei executive in 2018.

Relations between China and Canada deteriorated sharply after Canadian Police detained Huawei Technologies Co Ltd.’s Chief Financial Officer, Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver on a warrant from the United States.

Asked if the sentencing of the Canadian drug offenders was linked to Wanzhou’s case, China’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Wang Wenbin, told a briefing on Friday that China’s judicial organs “handle cases independently’’, while also adding that “the Canadian side knows the root cause’’ of difficulties in China-Canadian relations.

Jianhui, a Canadian national, was sentenced after a trial in the southern city of Foshan, the Foshan Intermediate People’s Court said in a notice on its website.

Police found 218 kilogrammes (481 pounds) of white crystals containing MDMA, commonly known as ecstasy, in the room used by Jianhui and five other men, according to a local media report.

Of the other five men, all Chinese nationals, one was sentenced to death, while the rest were given jail sentences ranging from seven years to life, according to the court notice.

The sentencing of Jianhui and his accomplices came just one day after another Chinese court sentenced Canadian Xu Weihong to death for making drugs.

China last year sentenced Canadians Robert Lloyd Schellenberg and Fan Wei to death on drug charges in separate cases.

Both men have lodged appeals.

“Canada requests clemency for all Canadian citizens who have been sentenced to death and calls on China to grant clemency to Mr Weihong,’’ said the Canadian Foreign Ministry spokesman, John Babcock, when asked about Weihong.

China-Canada relations quickly soured after Wanzhou’s arrest.

Two other Canadian men – businessman Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat – were detained in China, days after Wanzhou’s arrest, and were charged in June 2020 with espionage.

China has denied that their arrest was linked to Wanzhou’s case.

AIB

Edited By: Abdulfatah Babatunde (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/chinese-court-sentences-another-canadian-to-death-for-drugs/

Sport

Golf: DeChambeau muscles his way to United States Open victory

Published

on


A bulked-up Bryson DeChambeau bashed his way to a six-shot United States Open victory on Sunday, silencing any lingering questions as to whether his brawny game could translate to the major stage.


World number nine DeChambeau, who began the day two shots back of United States Open debutant Matthew Wolff, clinched his first major title with a mix of jaw-dropping drives and clutch putts.

He shot a virtually flawless three-under-par 67 to reach six under for the tournament at Winged Foot.

“On nine is when I first thought, ‘OK, this could be reality’,” DeChambeau, speaking during the trophy presentation, said of his mindset after an eagle at the par-five ninth.

“I made that eagle, long eagle putt and I shocked myself by making it, too, and I thought to myself, ‘I could do it’. And then immediately after, I said, ‘nope, you’ve got to focus on each and every hole’.”

Wolff (75), appearing in only his second major, was one shot back of DeChambeau at the turn but fell apart over a back nine that included two bogeys and a double-bogey.

A fearless DeChambeau, whose final round included the eagle, two birdies and a bogey, attacked at every chance.

For his efforts was the only player to break par in the final round as he cruised to a maiden major at his 16th attempt.

The 27-year-old had re-emerged from the PGA Tour’s three-month COVID-19 suspension in mid-June packing serious muscle and hitting a startling distance off the tee.

He attacked Winged Foot all week like few other golfers can.

So confident in his approach, DeChambeau unleashed his driver on practically every par-four and par-five hole as he figured the birdie chances would outweigh the risk that Winged Foot’s nasty rough creates.

DeChambeau grabbed the solo lead after five holes, hit a perfectly-paced 40-foot eagle putt at the ninth to maintain a one-shot cushion.

It was a tournament that came down to a two-horse race between him and Wolff as they made the turn.

The 21-year-old Wolff was bidding to become the first player to win the United States Open on his tournament debut since Francis Ouimet in 1913.

But he bogeyed the 10th and 14th holes, before a double-bogey at 16.

“I battled hard. Things just didn’t go my way,” said Wolff. “But first United States Open, second-place is something to be proud of and hold your head up high for.”

Former British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen (73) birdied the last to finish alone in third-place, a distant eight shots back of DeChambeau.

He was one shot clear of Harris English (73), who made a double-bogey at the first where he lost his tee shot.

Xander Schauffele (74) looked ready to make a back-nine charge after making the turn fresh off back-to-back birdies.

But the world number seven made five consecutive bogeys from the 13th and finished in fifth-place.

Northern Irishman Rory McIlroy (75), who finished in a share of eighth-place, was almost left in a state of disbelief at DeChambeau’s win.

This was given his inaccuracy off the tee at a tournament renowned for its thick rough.

“I don’t really know what to say because that’s just the complete opposite of what you think a United States Open champion does,” said McIlroy.

“Look, he’s found a way to do it. Whether that’s good or bad for the game, I don’t know.

“But it’s just – it’s not the way I saw this golf course being played or this tournament being played. It’s kind of hard to really wrap my head around it.”

 

(
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Source: NAN

 

 

https://nnn.ng/golf-dechambeau-muscles-his-way-to-united-states-open-victory/
Continue Reading

Economy

15th Abuja Int’l trade fair to feature 500 exhibitors – ACCI

Published

on


The Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry (ACCI) says its 15th Abuja International Trade Fair will feature not more than 500 local and foreign exhibitors.


ACCI Media Officer Latifat Opoola who made the disclosure on Sunday said the fair would hold in October at the Abuja Trade and Convention with the theme “Trade and Commerce Beyond Borders”.

According to Opoola, this year’s event in compliance with the COVID-19 protocols will only showcase indoor and virtual exhibitions to make room for a controlled environment that will ensure social distancing.

She noted that an average attendance of 100,000 visitors from both Nigeria and 150 countries, including U.K., United States, UAE, India, Malasyia and China would participate both physically and virtually at the fair.

She said other countries like Saudi Arabia, Ghana, South Africa, among others,  were expected to participate.

She noted that over the years, the fair had been an amazing trade platform for international and domestic industry professionals, leading brands and MSMEs to transact, share market insights, cutting edge technology and expertise in an interactive environment.

“This year’s event will provide a platform for sharing of trade, investment and market opportunity as well as information. It will also help buyers, investors and traders to foster business relationships.

“Over 500 exhibitors from within and outside Nigeria in all sectors of the economy, including Agriculture, Manufacturing, Mining, Electricity, Oil and Gas, Tourism, Textile, Transport, Telecommunications, Financial and Service sectors are expected to participate.

“With a team of trade professionals, we are persistent in providing a conducive trading atmosphere for our exhibitors, which will lead to strategies and tactics needed to innovate, grow and promote businesses,” she said in a statement.

The opening ceremony is scheduled to take place on Oct. 22,  while the closing ceremony holds on Nov. 2.

(
Edited By: Chioma Ugboma/Peter Ejiofor)
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/15th-abuja-intl-trade-fair-to-feature-500-exhibitors-acci/
Continue Reading

General news

Declare Badagry’s historical monuments protected structures, expert urges LASG

Published

on


A tourism expert, Mr Babatunde Ajose, on Sunday urged the Lagos State Government to declare the historical monuments of the ancient town of Badagry protected structures.


 

Ajose made the appeal at the Tourism Stakeholders’ Meeting organised by the Badagry Media Group in Badagry.

 

The meeting was tagged: “On the Proposed Delisting of Heritage Sites and Attractions by Lagos State House of Assembly’’.

 

The expert said that this would protect the historical monuments from destruction or delisting by any agent in the state.

 

According to Ajose, the recent call on the state house of assembly by a lawmaker for the removal of all historical monuments in Lagos State had put fear in the minds of the residents of the town.

 

“When the issue of delisting of historical monuments in Lagos was mentioned by a lawmaker during a sitting of the Lagos assembly, residents of Badagry started running from pillar to post.

 

“The local media in the town were writing different stories on the social media, people started castigating the people in the assembly.

 

“Even when the LASEMA was coming with their vehicles to access the extent of damage done by rainstorms in some communities in the area, they started crying, “they have come to destroy our sites’’.

 

“What I expect from them in Badagry is organise themselves on how to meet the people in authority and explain things to them on the implications.

 

“The stakeholders should find a way of meeting the lawmaker in question and educating him more on what we have in Badagry.

 

“We will tell him that all these monuments are still in existence in the United States, where the protest started from.

 

“What they are only pulling down is the monuments of slave dealers; all slavery museums in America are still there,” he said.

 

Ajose urged the stakeholders in Badagry to engage the council Chairman, Mr Olusegun Onilude, on the potential of tourism in the town.

 

“We need to meet the chairman of the council on the need to make bylaws that will protect the monuments from external attacked.

 

“Then, move to engage the lawmakers at the state level on the need to protect the structures,” he said.

 

Pastor Sunday Humyinbo, the Coordinator, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Badagry Chapter, urged the organisers of the meeting to work in unity to achieve it aim.

 

According to Hunyimbo, always speak with one voice in whatever you are doing.

 

He said no historical monuments from Badagry should be removed or destroyed by the state government, adding they serve as tools for revenue generation for some people.

 

Also speaking, Pastor Senahu Mofinleun, the Convener, Badagry Christian Heritage Festival, said that the town was waking up from its slumber, urging the organisers to be transparent in whatever they were doing.

 

He said that they are ready to mobilise people to support the cause so that the historical monuments of the land would be protected.

 

Mr Kehinde Avoseh, a representative of Zangheto from Ajido community, commended the media group for their efforts in organising the meeting.

 

According to him, we need one voice to be the bringer of good omen to Badagry heritage.

 

Mr Sewede Akande, the Founder, Citymood Communications, said the meeting was to brainstorm on the issue of delisting of historical monuments in Lagos.

 

He said that the stakeholders meeting would come up with ways to engage the Lagos State Government on best ways to tackle the issue.

 

Akande commended the critical stakeholders that attended the meeting, adding that they would meet again to present their take on the proposed delisting of historical monuments in the state.

 

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that on July 1, the Lagos State House of Assembly urged Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu to direct the Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, as well as that of Justice to look at sites and monuments in the state, to remove all vestiges of slave trade and colonial superiority.

 

NAN also reports that many local group and associations in Badagry, however, disagreed with the move.

 

Edited By: Idonije Obakhedo
Source: NAN

 

 

 

 

https://nnn.ng/declare-badagrys-historical-monuments-protected-structures-expert-urges-lasg/
Continue Reading

Sport

Osimhen’s Napoli capitalised on Parma mistakes as spectators return to Serie A

Published

on


Napoli on Sunday capitalised on two defensive mistakes to win 2-0 at Parma in their opening match of the season as spectators returned to Serie A for the first time since March.


Dries Mertens and Lorenzo Insigne got Napoli’s campaign off to a winning start with second-half goals shortly after club’s record signing Victor Osimhen was brought on for his debut.

A smattering of fans, wearing masks and widely spaced apart, watched the game at the Stadio Tardini.

This was after the Italian Government agreed to allow up to 1,000 spectators at matches from Sunday for the first time since the COVID-19 lockdown.

A cagey first half produced no real chances but Napoli came to life after Nigerian Osimhen, signed from Lille in the summer, was brought on in the 61st minute.

Two minutes later, Hirving Lozano crossed the ball into the area and Parma defender Simone Iacoponi headed his attempted clearance straight to the feet of Mertens who fired past Luigi Sepe from 15 metres.

Insigne struck the post from Oshimhen’s flick before Parma gifted Napoli a second goal.

Lozano intercepted a pass out of the Parma defence, his shot was saved by Sepe but Insigne snapped up the rebound in the 77th minute.

Parma, playing their first match under Coach Fabio Liverani, did little to impress new president Kyle Krause, Chief Executive of the United States-based Krause Group which took over the club on Friday.

(
Edited By: Yahaya Isah/Peter Ejiofor)
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/osimhens-napoli-capitalised-on-parma-mistakes-as-spectators-return-to-serie-a/
Continue Reading

7 killed, 4 injured iñ ‘massacre’ in south-western Colombia E! hosts skip Emmys red carpet after testing positive for COVID-19 Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Pirlo not out to copy anyone after Juventus’ comfortable opening win Italy votes in referendum on downsizing parliament NCDC records 97 new COVID-19 infections, total cases now 57, 242 Golf: DeChambeau muscles his way to United States Open victory Australian, British citizen killed in Solomon Islands bomb blast Buhari holds closed-door meeting with Ghanaian president at Aso Villa Spanish triathlete grateful for praise after incredible act of selflessness Nasarawa state to host teqball championship in November, official says Djokovic battles past Ruud to reach Italian Open final Rainstorm: Kwara Deputy Governor commiserates with victims BB Naija Evicts Tricky Tee, Ozo Ebonyi bus accident: FRSC, Police confirm 3 more bodies retrieved from river Gov. Matawalle eulogises late Emirs of Biu, Zazzau Atiku Support Groups congratulate Obaseki Edo 2020: Gov. Wike lauds INEC, Police Gov. Bello mourns Emir of Zazzau Health workers suspend 7-day nationwide warning strike Uni-Abuja mourns its chancellor, Emir of Zazzau Edo election: INEC’s result consistent with our PVT outcome, says Yiaga Africa Oghiadomhe describes Edo governorship poll as most credible Kiriji War: Leaders to celebrate 134 years of Yoruba unity INEC commends stakeholders on successful Edo election, focuses on Ondo Survival Fund: FG releases registration schedule as portal opens Monday Osimhen, young lad with head of 40-year-old — Gattuso Edo 2020: NCFront commends security on neutrality, wants more from INEC on logistics Sexual Abuse: Cleric advises parents to pay attention to male children Baby survives, mother dies in Anambra building collapse — Police Edo Poll: APC supporters commend Buhari for providing level playing field 22 parties allege exclusion in Bauchi polls, commission denies Iru land is committed to environmental, national development- Oba Lawal Youths should be drivers of innovation, creativity for a better Nigeria- Ex-VC Bell University  CSR: Dangote Cement commits N4bn to projects in Ogun host communities  Dep. speaker House of Reps mourns Zazzau Monarch Dabiri-Erewa hails Nigerian Ezeajughi’s re-election as UK Mayor, Ajagba’s United States boxing victory Edo 2020: Gov. Emmanuel congratulates Obaseki, urges him to deliver more Renown Ibadan-born businessman, Adegoke joins APC officially in Oyo Schools resumption: Lalong urges parents to teach children COVID-19 safety protocols Obaseki’s reelection is triumph of democracy – Gov. Diri Edo Guber: IPAC commends Buhari, INEC, security agencies over peaceful poll Mane double eases Liverpool to 2-0 win over 10-man Chelsea Buhari sends FG’s delegation for Emir of Zazzau’s burial in Zaria APC rejects result of Edo governorship election Edo poll: Secondus, Peter Obi congratulate Obaseki Petition: Unions pass vote of confidence on VC Senate President mourns Emir of Zazzau Cleric urges Govt. to prosecute fake, fraudulent pastors PDP Govs. congratulate Obaseki, commends Buhari