Chairmanship aspirant calls for transparency in Nasarawa FA elections
Abuja, April 24, 2019 A chairmanship aspirant in Nasarawa State Nigerian Football Association (NFA), Mr Haliru Ibrahim, has called on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to ensure transparency in the elections.
Ibrahim made the call in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday in Abuja.
NNN reports that the elections scheduled for May 27 across the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are to elect new officials for the state football associations.
Ibrahim, popularly known as ‘’Zee’’ said the call to Glass House became necessary given the manner the outgoing executives in Nasarawa had been handling the election process.
“NFF should ensure that Nasarawa FA election is credible and acceptable to everybody.
“It should not be a one man show, somebody should not sit down in his house and determine what happens in a popular sport like football for the entire state.
“I want NFF to please come into the matter and solve this problem.
“There was NFF communique in November 2018 that all the states and FCT should organise their congresses and start the process of conducting their next FA elections.
“Nasarawa FA did not respond to that until over one month, Mohammad Alkali-led exco only realised the need for a congress after some of us (aspirants) held a media briefing on the matter.
“What they did earlier was to organise something that was not in any way near a congress. They handpicked everyone, including Electoral College members.
“It was the electoral guidelines which NFF had to approve that made them rush down to Abuja and realised such election could not stand.
“I think some NFF national leaders were aware of developments in Nasarawa FA that was when they started selling forms to interested aspirants.
“We later bought forms to contest for various posts, I bought to contest for chairmanship position. They called us for screening.
“It was in the process of going for the screening that we got a hint that they would disqualify us if we ever go for the screening.
“I wonder why one will be disqualified for following laid down rules.
“We went for the screening and up till now, we have not heard anything from them, we only heard some people saying we have been disqualified, no letter or any form of notification to that effect.
“As far as I and other contestants in my group are concerned, we are still in the race for Nasarawa FA election.
“We therefore, call for NFF’s intervention to exercise our right to vie for posts in a free and fair atmosphere.’’
“The competition availed the state FA of the opportunity to discover good talents in the state.
“Good football administration should be felt at the grassroots by both the players and officials, that is what I am bringing on board,” he said.
NNN reports that NFF has given all the state FAs deadline between May 26 and June 30, for their board executive officers’ elections.
Rohr calls up 21 old faces, 4 new faces for Super Eagles’ 2 friendlies
Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, has called up 25 players ahead of October’s friendly matches against the Elephants of Cote d’Ivoire and the Carthage Eagles of Tunisia, scheduled for Austria.
Ademola Olajire, the Director of Communications, Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), disclosed in a statement on Monday in Abuja that five other players have been put on standby.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the friendlies are the three-times African champions’ first games this year, as a result of the prolonged global coronavirus pandemic.
Rohr has listed the team’s top names such as Ahmed Musa, Kenneth Omeruo, William Ekong and Wilfred Ndidi, as well as new brooms Frank Onyeka and Chidera Ejuke.
Former FIFA Under-17 World Cup-winning goalkeeper Dele Alampasu returns to the group, as well as midfielder Mikel Agu.
Captain of the most recent Nigeria under-17 squad, Samson Tijani, will join up with the elite, as well as Portugal-based exciting wing-back Zaidu Sanusi.
Goalkeeper Maduka Okoye, now in The Netherlands, is heading to Austria for the games, just as England-based forward Kelechi Iheanacho also returns.
Victor Osimhen, now in Italy with Napoli, and another former U17 World Cup winner Samuel Chukwueze are also called up.
The Super Eagles, now ranked 29th in the world and third in Africa, will take on the Elephants on Oct. 9.
They will four days later engage the Carthage Eagles, who are second in Africa in the rankings.
Goalkeepers: Dele Alampasu (FK Ventspils, Latvia); Matthew Yakubu (SKF Sered, Slovakia); Maduka Okoye (Sparta Rotterdam, The Netherlands)
Defenders: Kenneth Omeruo (CD Leganes, Spain); Leon Balogun (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland); Chidozie Awaziem (FC Boavista, Portugal); William Ekong (Udinese FC, Italy); Olaoluwa Aina (Fulham FC, England); Jamilu Collins (SC Padeborn 07, Germany); Oluwasemilogo Ajayi (West Bromwich Albion, England); Zaidu Sanusi (FC Porto, Portugal)
Midfielders: Mikel Agu (Vitoria Guimaraes, Portugal); Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester City, England); Frank Onyeka (FC Midtjylland, Denmark); Oghenekaro Etebo (Galatasary SK, Turkey); Samson Tijani (TSV Hartberg, Austria)
Forwards: Ahmed Musa (Al Nassr, Saudi Arabia); Alex Iwobi (Everton FC, England); Victor Osimhen (SSC Napoli, Italy); Moses Simon (FC Nantes, France); Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal FC, Spain); Cyril Dessers (KRC Genk, Belgium)
Kelechi Iheanacho (Leicester City, England); Samuel Kalu (Girondins Bordeaux, France); Chidera Ejuke (CSKA Moscow, Russia)
Standby: Abdullahi Shehu (Bursaspor, Turkey); Ramon Azeez (Granada CF, Spain); Joshua Maja (Girondins Bordeaux, France); Henry Onyekuru (AS Monaco, France); Tyronne Ebuehi (FC Twente, Netherlands)
Edited By: Olawale Alabi)
Gov. Bagudu lays foundation of $1.19m first FIFA stadium in Nigeria
Gov. Abubakar Atiku-Bagudu of Kebbi on Monday, laid the foundation of Nigeria’s first FIFA mini stadium in Birnin Kebbi.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the facility will initially have 267 seats and can be expanded to accommodate 6,000 fans.
It is being constructed through the Goal Project.
Contract for the stadium construction, expected to be completed in six months, was awarded to ARON Nig. Ltd at the cost of $1.19 million.
The foundation for the project located on Kalgo Road in Birnin Kebbi. was laid by the governor, supported by executive members of Nigeri Football Federation (NFF).
Gov. Abubakar Atiku-Bagudu of Kebbi State speaking at the foundation laying ceremony of $1.19 million FIFA mini stadium in Birnin Kebbi on Monday
He noted that sports remained an indispensable tool for development of society, adding that society would only progress if reward and performance were encouraged.
According to him, human beings are all equal but only those who work hard flourish.
Bagudu charged youth in the state to take advantage of the facility to excel.
Gov. Abubakar Atiku-Bagudu of Kebbi State laying the foundation of $1.19 million FIFA mini stadium in Birnin Kebbi on Monday
Pinnick, who was represented by the NFF Chairman of Chairmen, Alhaji Ibrahim Musa-Gusau, said: “We want to appreciate FIFA, especially their officials who collaborated with the Nigeria Football Federation on this project.
“They actually collaborated with us from conception, and for finally giving the go-ahead for it after due diligence had been done and in line with extant best practices.
“When the General Secretary of NFF, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, mooted the idea of this project during one of our meetings in Asaba in 2018, he presented to the board a sound argument.
“I must also give kudos to the board for graciously approving his request.
He lauded Gov. Bagudu for his robust support for the project from the onset, including the gracious approval of the strategic massive space on which the project would be built.
Dr Mohammed Sanusi, NFF General Secretary said he wouldn’t have become what he became without the support he received from Kebbi.
He recalled that the project was a child of the campaign promises of the present FIFA President, who promised to develop sports from the grassroots.
“When he won the election, Gianni Infantino doubled the money meant for member states. This project has the capacity to accommodate 267 people but can be extended to 6,000.
“It is expected to be completed in six month. We hope to commission it by end of March next year and the total cost of the project is $1,189,470,” he said.
Earlier, Abubakar Cika-Ladan, FA Cairman in Kebbi, said that the stadium was the first of its kind in Nigeria.
While appreciating the state government for its keen interest in the project, the chairman recalled that the government had paid N19 million compensation to land owners.
He said the facility wouldn’t have come at a better time than now in view of the concern Gov. Bagudu has for sports especially football.
Cika-Ladan said Kebbi is well known in beach soccer, recalling that its contingent won the national and continental beach soccer trophy, and represented Africa at the World Cup, where it came second.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Maharazu Ahmed
Insecurity: House of Reps pledges adequate funding for NEDC
The House of Representatives Committee on the North East Development Commission (NEDC), on Thursday pledged adequate budgetary allocation to the commission to tackle humanitarian challenges in the region.
The Chairperson of the Committee, Khadija Bukar-Abba, made the pledge in Maiduguri during a two-day oversight tour of the NEDC’s activities.
Bukar-Abba said that the committee had taken note of challenges facing the people of the Northeast zone.
She said that given the quantum of work that needed to be done, it became imperative that the commission should be provided with more funding to enable it effectively carry out its mandate.
The chairperson said the committee had gone round some of the projects being prosecuted by the commission in displaced communities and IDP camps, noting that a lot of people need life-saving assistance.
“We have visited some of the IDP camps and had a firsthand experience of the depth of suffering people are going through, especially the women and children.
“We have also seen the impressive works that the NEDC has achieved in such a short period of a year since it began operation.
“But we have observed how overwhelming the work that the NEDC needed to do has been, and how their progress may be affected due to lack of resources.
“We visited Ngwom village in Mafa Local Government, about 18km outside of Maiduguri, and we have seen the 1,000 housing projects that the NEDC has embarked on; we are excited that the project would be concluded before the end of 2020.
“At the IDP camps, we have seen many women and children, and old persons who needed food more than anything else to survive, and we felt the challenges are overwhelming and the NEDC is underfunded,’’ she said.
Bukar-Abba commended the commission for achieving so much in the last one year, noting that rather than being accused of misappropriation of funds, “the NEDC is grossly underfunded’’.
“Our committee and, of course the House of Representatives would not hesitate to approve all the request of NEDC concerning the welfare of the IDPs and people of the Northeast any time they approach us for additional funding,’’ she said.
Commenting, NEDC’s Managing Director, Prof. Mohammed Alkali, said that some of the properties acquired in the name of the commission were being used as warehouse, offices and accommodation for its guests and staffers.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that in many of the IDP camps, the displaced persons complained of inadequate classrooms which they said had impeded on learning by the children.
Muhammed Abacha, an IDP official, told the committee that their major challenges were food and education for children.
“We in Customs House IDP camp are facing a serious challenge of lack of food to feed,’’ Abacha said.
“We have only nine classrooms here in the camp and we have well over 3,000 school-age kids in this camp. We need more classrooms, else our children will continue to roam about the camp without any form of education,’’ he said.
Hajiya Yabawa Kolo, the Chairperson of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, informed the committee that the state government had been providing daily food support and cash to the IDPs.
Edited By: Johnson Eyiangho/Sadiya Hamza