By Chinyere Joel-Nwokeoma
They disclosed this in interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) while reacting to the apex bank’s appointment of new Chairmen for First Bank of Nigeria Ltd and FBN Holdings Plc.
Unegbu said that the action would reduce overbearing influence and powers being exhibited by some commercial banks’ directors going forward.
He said that it would bring to an end the activities of powerful board directors in a corporation.
According to him, the decision and action will warn other people to be careful and to act within regulatory limit.
He, however, said that directors had the power to remove or appoint a managing director, but must obtain the approval of the apex bank before making the announcement.
Also speaking, Prof. Uche Uwaleke, President, the Association of Capital Market Academics of Nigeria, said that it was right for the CBN to wield the big stick on any bank that flours the rules.
Uwaleke said the action would serve as a lesson to the boards of other banks that similar fate awaits them if they take critical decisions bordering on board composition and corporate governance in general without prior approval of the CBN.
“A banking system regulator should be seen to take the issue of corporate governance very seriously.
“In this particular matter, my take is that the apex bank is in order in view of the fact that it gave the Board of FirstBank the opportunity to defend itself.
“It behoves the CBN now to communicate the reasons for its action to members of the public and provide reassurance of Banking system stability,” Uwaleke said.
The CBN said that the decision was to protect minority shareholders and depositors. (NAN)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3zjL
- Coronavirus – South Africa: COVID-19 Statistics in South Africa (May 11, 2021)
- Netflix acquires Mekwunye’s film “One Lagos Night”
- Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (May 11, 2021)
- UK seeks tariff exemption on solar equipment
- The newest TECNO CAMON 17 Pro has raised the bar for selfie smartphones, allowing users to express themselves creatively in their own way
- “About a Boy” the winner of the Nollywoodweek Film Festival 2021
- Energy Capital & Power Confirms High Level Sponsors for South Sudan Oil & Power 2021 Event
- APC Edo felicitates with Muslims on Eid-el Fitri
- Eid el-Fitr: A time to renew Nigeria’s pact with destiny – PDP