Cameroon government says 16 killed in nightclub fire
NNN: Cameroon’s government said on Sunday that 16 people were killed in a fire sparked by fireworks at a nightclub in the capital Yaoundé, the tragedy occurring as the nation hosts the African Cup of Nations soccer tournament.
“The initial report shows 16 dead and eight seriously injured” after the “accidental fire” that broke out on Saturday night, the Ministry of Communications said in a statement.
The fire engulfed the main hall of Liv’s Night Club in the capital’s upmarket Bastos district, home to embassies and diplomatic residences.
“The tragedy, which was caused by explosions from the fireworks that are frequently used in these places, first consumed the roof of the building, resulting in two very loud explosions that caused panic and a stampede,” the ministry said. .
“When we arrived there was panic, there was a strong fire with a lot of smoke,” a firefighter official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
“We accounted for 16 dead and five wounded,” added the official.
A security guard present at the fire said it “happened very quickly.”
“It was just after 2 am and most customers arrive around 3 am… there are many victims,” the security guard said.
There were some burnt objects in front of the club suggesting a fire, but the building’s façade was not destroyed or charred, an AFP journalist said.
Both separatists and government forces have been accused of atrocities in the fighting, which has claimed more than 3,000 lives and forced more than 700,000 to flee their homes.
Source Credit: TheGuardian
- NGO tasks media on championing basic education rights in Kaduna
- 2023 budget: Kaduna State Govt will adhere to MTEF recommendation – Perm. Sec.
- WAFCON 2022: Our sight remains on the trophy, Falcons
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara