Businessman arraigned for alleged importation of fake drug
NNN: A 32-year-old businessman, Obinna Igbo, on Thursday appeared before a Federal High Court in Lagos State, for alleged importation and sale of a fake drug.
Igbo was charged on four counts of unlawful importation, possession, sale and distribution of fake Amanta Forte, an unregistered drug.
He is being prosecuted by the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC).
Igbo, however, pleaded not guilty before Justice Tijani Ringim.
After his plea, prosecution counsel, Mrs Chinyere Okoli, prayed the court to remand him in custody pending trial.
Although defence counsel, Mr A.C. Oforjiuba, sought to make an oral bail application for Igbo, the judge ordered that he should be kept in a correctional facility pending a formal bail application.
He adjourned the case until June 6 for trial.
According to the charge, the defendant committed the offences on May 4 at Shop E200, Freedom Line, Onitsha Head Bridge Market.
NAFDAC alleges that Igbo imported fake Amanta Forte soft gel capsules and sold same to members of the public, from his shop in the market.
According to the agency, the offences contravene the provisions of Section 1(a) of the Counterfeit and Fake Drugs and Unwholesome Processed Foods (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act of 2004.
They also contravene the provisions of Sections 1(1) of the Food, Drugs and Related Products Registration Act of 2004. (NAN)
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman
- We must appreciate our history to develop as a nation – History Teacher
- Bandits burn down 2 health centres, shut 69 others in Katsina— official
- Police confirm killing of area commander by bandits in Katsina
- UN chief welcomes ECOWAS resolutions on Mali, commends Goodluck Jonathan
- NAOWA gifts food items, medicine, others to widows of fallen soldiers in Imo
- PDP’ll participate in Ebonyi July LG polls- Party Chairman
- Breaking: Sporadic gunshots, bomb blast heard near Kuje Prison
- Gunmen kill police inspector, abduct Chinese national in Kwara
- Gender-based, income inequalities fuelling teen pregnancies in developing countries – UNFPA
- My removal did not follow due process, says Sacked Abia LG boss
- NADCEL: Army Chief, Yahaya, bags chieftaincy title in Imo
- Don calls for inter-agency collaboration to tackle insecurity
- PVCs: Group sensitises FCT women
- Army inaugurates classroom blocks, science laboratory in Imo
- Naira falls again to dollar at Investors, Exporters window
- COVID-19 vaccine trains immune system to create antibodies, says NPHCDA Boss