Buhari welcomes Ramadan fasting, asks Muslims to feed the poor
The president made his sentiments known in a message to Nigerians and Muslims around the world, published Malam Garba Shehu, on Friday in Abuja.
According to the president, the fasting period offers a unique opportunity to “feel the hunger that is lived to feel what it is to be dispossessed and marginalized.
“Muslims should seek greater personal discipline, which is necessary for the realization of a great nation.”
He counseled the Muslim elite against food waste and extravagant spending while others face hunger and destitution, urging them to care for their neighbors, the poor and the marginalized.
He also asked for prayers for peace in the country and beyond, and for healing and harmony throughout the world.
He wished all Muslims a successful completion of the 30-day fasting period.
- South Africa: Minister Pandor attends G20 Foreign Ministers Meeting in Bali, Indonesia
- Police warn cultists, hoodlums against celebrating ‘7/7’ Day in Osun
- Statement attributable to the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General – on Mali
- UN needs $68.4 million to help Central African Republic where 2.2 million are acutely food insecure
- Lagos Assembly adopts recommendations on Data Protection Bill
- England ready for Old Trafford launch of Euro bid
- West Africa and the MSGBC Region Showcase a Hive of Exploration Activities
- NSITF to collaborate ILO to regulate COVID-19 claims, compensations
- NGO tasks media on championing basic education rights in Kaduna
- 2023 budget: Kaduna State Govt will adhere to MTEF recommendation – Perm. Sec.
- WAFCON 2022: Our sight remains on the trophy, Falcons
- Ericsson invites participants to ‘Together Apart Hackathon’ to boost innovation in Nigeria
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC deploys 36,000 personnel, 750 patrol vehicles, ambulances
- OPEC Secretary-General, Barkindo dies at 63
- Banditry: Matawalle security agencies of his total support
- Gunmen attack Kuje Custodial Centre in Abuja
- Enugu govt. appoints Ihuoma Eze, acting coordinator of APPEALS World Bank project
- Roadmap for new NNPC hinges on PIA – Okadigbo
- Sallah: Presidency condemn attack on President Buhari’s advance team in Katsina
- My alleged suspension over alleged financial impropriety a huge joke-PDP chairman