By Ismaila Chafe
The president, in a statement by his spokesman Malam Garba Shehu, in Abuja on Thursday, paid tribute to the retired Nigerian army major general in a personal letter to mark the milestone.
The letter read in part: “It gives me great pleasure to greet my friend and colleague, the General of the Nigerian Army, Emir of Gwandu, His Highness Muhammadu Ilyasu Bashar, at the age of 80.
“Emir Bashar grew up in a privileged but disciplined environment. He was well established in basic Islamic education before primary and secondary education, then recruited into the Nigerian army.
“Behind his calm and unpretentious outward appearance was a fierce determination to succeed.
“Jega, as we knew him, had a distinguished military career, was one of the leaders of the famous Bonny Landings on which he wrote a pamphlet which became a reference textbook in military schools across the country.
“He was seriously injured. Barely 3 years ago, the last piece of her body was removed.
“After retiring following the change of government in 1985, Jega proved his versatility by leading or joining several successful business ventures and at the same time helping to guide the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs.
“None of his friends were surprised that he kept the date with fate when, in July 2005, he was appointed Emir of Gwandu and assumed royal office under the name of Muhammadu Ilyasu Bashar, a position held for the first time by Abdullahi Gwandu, brother of the great reformer. Shehu Usman Dan Fodio.
“I am happy to count Emir Bashar as my friend. We’ve been through good times and tough times, but he always kept his cool, his sense of humor, and his belief in God and the Last Day. (NOPE)
Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3z4M
- Siemens, German government and Solidarity Fund hand over 100-bed modular hospital solution
- NiMet predicts 3 days cloudiness, thunderstorms from Friday
- Arrival of the new Hapag-Lloyd East Africa service in Kenya and Tanzania
- Eid-el-Fitr: Uzodimma hosts Muslims in Imo
- Envoy pledges to strengthen Nigeria-Cuba relations
- Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (May 13, 2021)
- Real Madrid stay in title hunt with win at Granada
- Coronavirus – Eswatini: COVID-19 daily update (May 13, 2021)
- Nadal follows Djokovic into Rome Open quarter-finals after epic fightback