Foreign

Buckingham Palace to investigate bullying allegations against Meghan

Published

on

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reclaiming their narrative after the United Kingdom’s Times newspaper published a buzzy report about a bullying complaint allegedly filed from inside Kensington Palace, reports on Thursday said.

According to the Times, a former communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex during their stint at Kensington, reportedly alleged in 2018 that toxic behavior by Meghan forced two personal assistants to leave their positions.

The development, according to the report, negatively affected another palace employee.

“The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma,” a spokesperson for Meghan and Prince Harry wrote in a statement provided to the Los Angeles Times.

“She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good.”

On Wednesday, Buckingham Palace announced plans to investigate the accusations leveled against Meghan, according to The Associated Press.

In a statement, the palace said it was “clearly very concerned” about the situation and vowed to “look into the circumstances outlined in the article”.

“The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace,” the palace said.

Per People magazine, the complaint allegedly filed by Jason Knauf claimed that Meghan’s alleged conduct brought one of her staffers to tears and caused a royal aide to physically shake at the prospect of interacting with the Duchess.

The Times report comes days before the Sussexes’ intimate conversation with TV mogul Oprah Winfrey is scheduled to air on CBS, and the timing of the leaked allegations was not lost on the Duke and Duchess.

“Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation,” the royal couple said in a statement to Britain’s Times, according to People.

“We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet.

“It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years.”

During their highly anticipated interview with Winfrey, teased by CBS earlier this week and set to air Sunday, Harry told the OWN founder he was “relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side”.

“I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for [my mother] going through this process by herself all those years ago,” Harry said as a photo of his younger self and the late Princess Diana appeared on the screen.

“Because it’s been unbelievably tough for the two of us,” he said.

While appearing on “The Late Late Show” last month, the Duke also offered his thoughts on Netflix’s hit historical drama “The Crown,” which portrayed the debilitating toll royal life took on Diana (played by Golden Globe winner Emma Corrin) in its most recent season.

When asked for his opinion on the series while cruising through his new home of L.A., Harry told TV host James Corden that its dramatisations are “loosely based on the truth” and provide viewers with “a rough idea about what that lifestyle, what the pressures of putting duty and service above everything else, what can come from that”.

“I’m way more comfortable with ‘The Crown’ than I am seeing the stories being written about my family, my wife, or myself,” he told Corden. (tca/dpa/NAN)

Like Loading…

Short Link: https://wp.me/pcj2iU-3ybO

NNN

NNN: :is a Nigerian online news portal that publishes breaking news in Nigeria, and across the world. Our journalists are honest, fair, accurate, thorough and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting news in the best interest of the public, because truth is the cornerstone of journalism and they strive diligently to ascertain the truth in every news report. Contact: editor[at]nnn.com.ng

FG reaffirms the efficacy of artemisinin against malaria Hoima District frontline health workers hesitate over COVID-19 vaccination, then adopt after WHO assurance Customs intercept hemp, carbide, others with N3.1bn DPV Edo spends 6 billion naira on infrastructure in public primary schools Dr Congo: worrying influx of wounded in Beni and Goma hospitals Minister frowns at lower volume of trade with S’Korea NAPTIP arrests 4 people for alleged sales of babies IUCN’s Inaugural African Protected Areas Congress officially relaunched The Gambia eliminates trachoma as a public health problem Gasoline tail: Kyari informs Buhari and promises to end fuel shortage within hours Buhari mourns President Deby – NIGERIA NEWS AGENCY More than 200,000 people return to Zimbabwe as COVID-19 impacts regional economies NWFL Super Six: Sunshine Queens beat Edo Queens to stay in contention Ondo Electoral Court rejects PDP petition against Governor Akeredolu RTS, S malaria vaccine reaches more than 650,000 children in Ghana, Kenya and Malawi with breakthrough pilot program Lagos State to Hold LG Poll in July CAF Confederation Cup: matches of the fifth day More refugees arrive in Chad following recent clashes in the Central African Republic MMA2 security personnel return lost bag containing 2.35 m N to passenger Japan donates $ 6.5 million to WFP to tackle food insecurity in South Sudan EU launches € 100 million humanitarian initiative to support COVID-19 vaccination campaigns in Africa The transition period in Chad will last 18 months – Military NDLEA Shuts Down Drug Syndicate, Arrests 2 Undergraduates Egypt dismisses head of railway authority following fatal accidents Coronavirus – Malawi: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Coronavirus – Namibia: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Iran rejects step-by-step plan to revive nuclear deal Tigray crisis enters sixth month with no clear end in sight amid ‘serious and continuing violations of children’s rights’ Chad sets up transitional military council headed by son of late president – reports Canon Central and North Africa Further Exploit African Print Market by Appointing Four New Business Partners Across the Continent Obaseki pays 1.5 million naira medical bills for 3 albinos Thousands of people flee new clashes in Central African Republic: UN agency ‘Endless’ conflict in Ethiopia’s Tigray region, UNICEF warns Alleged assault: Senate to investigate CCT chairman Danladi Umar Coronavirus – Ethiopia: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Coronavirus – Kenya: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Unity Bank declares 492.02 billion in assets for 2020 New Fortress Energy named founding partner of the Basketball Africa League Respect and dialogue necessary to restore normalcy as the separatist league is strongly frowned upon Senate receives Buhari’s request to confirm Salisu Garba as CJ FCT Media Invitation – South Africa: Women and Men Against Child Abuse – Athletes Against Child Abuse INEC will resume CVR on June 28 Coronavirus – South Africa: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Coronavirus – Eritrea: Ministry of Health announcement (April 19, 2021) Office partners with German foundation to strengthen MDAs New report highlights impact of COVID-19 on African trade finance Coronavirus – Zambia: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) Analysis: National Mass Counting Program: Beyond the Blame Game Coronavirus – Rwanda: COVID-19 update (April 19, 2021) New report highlights impact of COVID-19 on African trade finance