Chiniki Guard, a Nigerian Information Communication Technology (ICT) startup application has won the best prize of 10,000 USD in the Artificial Intelligence category competition at the ongoing Gulf Information Technology Exhibition (GITEX).
GITEX is a global annual and biggest technology gathering in the Middle East,North Africa and South Asia with theme “Synergising the Mind and Technology Economy.”aqq
Chiniki Guard is among the 34 startups in the category of the Supanova finalists at the GITEX Futurestars competition.
Speaking with the Nigeria News Agency (NAN)Mr Abdulhakim Bashir,the Founder of Chiniki Guard, said the opportunities at GITEX had accorded him the win and would enable him widen the scope of his business.
Bashir said he woud launch the application after GITEX and move to the cloud for storing data to accommodate the number of requests from shop owners.
According to him,Nigerians have potential that can transform the economy but the private sector needs to be involved.
247Medic, a health ICT application that connects doctors with patients across Nigeria within a maximum waiting time of 10 minutes and provides auxiliary services, including lab testing,door step delivery of drugs,also made it to the finals.
Other Nigerian start-ups at the exhibition include: Blue Circle of Notitia,a health application that digitise patients’ medical history, Zowasel,an agritech application to improve value chain.
Naira Packet also among the startups is a solution mechanism that reduces the cost of micro transactions and Sublime Square, an online platform, designed to ensure efficiency in waste evacuation and management.
NAN reports that Nigeria’s participation at GITEX is spearheaded by NITDA.
Nigeria Postal Service, Nigeria Communication Satellite Limited, Nigeria Petroleum Exchange Commission, Petroleum Equalisation Fund Management Board are some agencies representing the country at GITEX.
The start-ups were mentored and supervised by the Office for ICT Innovation and Entrepreneurship (OIIE), a subsidiary of NITDA. (NAN)
Edited by Dada Ahmed
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Androidhttps://nnn.ng/breakingchiniki/
Exercise OKUN ALAFIA II records success 11 days after flag off
The 30-day exercise was started on July 24.
The Fleet Commander said that the successes were based on the collaboration between the Navy and the Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) facilities which made vectore, intercept and interrogation easier.
He also said that four suspects were arrested along with 8x50litres jerry cans filled with PMS in additiin to several other empty jerry cans.
“These arrests were made between July 27 and Aug. 3 at Idi-Mango in Abule Glass Akaraba area,” he said.
He said that the Nigerian Navy would not relent in its efforts until it had provided the necessary and conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out their legitimate maritime-related business.
“Based on operation posture of Western Naval Command underlined by foregoing successes against perpetrators of criminalities within the nation’s maritime environment,I hereby restate that the Nigerian Navy will not rest to its oars until it has provided necessary conducive environment for law abiding members of the public to carry out legitimate theurtheir maritime-re business.
“May I further request that as partners in progress, members of the public are free to divulge credible information to the units in your localities to enable it to get rid of all forms of criminalities,” he said.
He said eight ships, two helicopters and a detachment of NN Special Boat Service (SBS) participated in the exercise.
NAN reports that the Command had earlier engaged in a series of exercises and operations such as: OPERATION JUNCTION RAIN, EXERCISE SWIFT RESPONSE, EXERCISE ATEGUN ALAFIA, EXERCISE OKUN ALAFIA I, TREASURE GUARD II .
Edited By: Josephine Obute/Peter Dada (NAN)https://nnn.ng/exercise-okun-alafia-ii-records-success-11-days-after-flag-off/
Navy flags off OKUN ALAFIA II to intensify territorial waters security
Daji said that the 30 days exercise which would be in three folds was also to ensure that the backwaters was safe.
“Western, Central and Eastern Naval Command to have handshake at sea, so that criminals from the west to central and vice versa does not have the leeway to do that,” he said.
“We are carrying out operations in our backwaters to ensure that those that are already at sea does not have the freedom to be terrorising people in the backwaters.
”Every activity that is taking place at sea, the ultimate goal is on land and the benefits.
“Within the creeks, the channels and the adjoining land areas, the operational basis and the forward operational bases will be conducting clearance operations to take the battle to the criminal hideouts,” Daji said.
The FOC reassured the public that the command was ready to provide necessary conducive environment for legitimate businesses on the waterways.
He urged members of the public to freely divulge credible information to get rid of criminals in their localities.
A total of eight ships, two helicopters and a detachment of Nigerian Navy Special Boat Service (SBS) participated in the Exercise.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the command had earlier engaged in exercises and operations such as OPERATION JUNCTION RAIN; EXERCISE SWIFT RESPONSE; EXERCISE ATEGUN ALAFIA; EXERCISE OKUN ALAFIA I and TREASURE GUARD II.
Edited By: Chinyere Bassey/Ismail Abdulaziz (NAN)https://nnn.ng/navy-flags-off-okun-alafia-ii-to-intensify-territorial-waters-security/
Alleged $1bn cloned account: NPA welcomes House of Reps investigation
The management of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) says it welcomes any investigation by the House of Representatives in the alleged existence of one billion dollars in a ”cloned” Unity Bank account.
The General Manager, Corporate and Strategic Communications, of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) Mr Adams Jatto disclosed this in a statement in Lagos.
“While awaiting communications from the House committees on finance; and ports and harbours on the proposed investigations, the authority restates it position in the statement issued by management earlier this week that the unity bank account number: 0013680344, cited by the whistleblower, Mr Okpurhe, does not exist.
“This is as evidenced by a Feb. 12 letter from Unity Bank Plc.
“The NPA operates an account with Unity Bank Plc with account number: 0013670344 with a total sum of $1,057,772.03 (One Million, Fifty-Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy-Two Dollars, Three Cents) as of Dec. 4, 2019 and not 1,034,515,000.00 dollars One Billion, Thirty-Four Million, Five Hundred and Fifteen Thousand United State Dollars) as alleged by the petitioner.
“However, the NPA account has not been in operation since Aug. 27, 2010 due to a Suit No: /582/2010 GARNISHEE ORDER NISI in AMINU IBRAHIM & CO & ANOR. VS. NIGERIAN PORTS AUTHORITY where a garnishee order was placed on it.
“This was following a case, which went from the Federal High Court to the Supreme Court over a period of eight years.
“Upon the determination of the case at the Supreme Court, the judgment creditors continued with the Garnishee process which resulted in the credit of the amount 1,057,772.03 (One Million, Fifty-Seven Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy-Two Dollars, Three Cents) in favour of Suit No: /582/2010 GARNISHEE ORDER NISI- AMINU IBRAHIM & CO & ANOR. VS. NIGERIAN PORTS AUTHORITY on Dec. 4, 2019 in line with the Garnishee Order absolute.
“It is therefore obvious that there is no cloned account as speculated in the alleged whistle blowing effort of Mr. Okpurhe,” he said.
He noted that the account under discussion was frozen on the strength of a court order in August 2010, following the completion of the case, the money was consequently transferred to the judgment creditor on Dec. 4, 2019 in line with the Garnishee Order Absolute.
Edited By: Sadiya Hamza (NAN) https://nnn.ng/alleged-1bn-cloned-account-npa-welcomes-house-of-reps-investigation/
Dabiri-Erewa tasks US govt on killing of Nigerian-American Salau
Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, the Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), on Monday called on the government of the United States to ensure a thorough investigation in the alleged killing of a Nigerian, Toyin Salau.
The NiDCOM chief described the alleged murder of the 19-year-old Nigerian-American Activist, Salau in the U.S as highly depressing and cruel.
This is contained in a statement signed by Mr Abdur-Rahman Balogun, Head of Media and Public Relations Unit of NiDCOM, and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria in Abuja.
Dabiri-Erewa said the U.S government must conduct a thorough investigation on the circumstances leading to Ms Salau’s death.
The NIDCOM boss condoled with the immediate family of Ms Salau who died while advocating against oppression and injustice.
NAN reports that Salau a 19-year-old lady of Nigerian origin, was found dead days after she was declared missing in the city of Tallahassee, Florida, the United States.
According to the Tallahassee Police Department, Salau who spoke at Black Lives Matters protests in the city, was last seen on June 6, near Wahnish Way and Orange Avenue, Tallahassee.
Salau was declared missing hours after she tweeted she was sexually assaulted.
She tweeted that a man molested her that morning around Park Avenue and Richview Road, Tallahassee, Florida.
She said the man offered to give her a ride back to a church where she had sought “refuge” because of “unjust living conditions”.
“He came disguised as a man of God and ended up picking me up from nearby Saxon Street,” she tweeted. “I trusted the Holy Spirit to keep me safe.”
According to reports, the Tallahassee Community Action Agency conducted a search party on June 10 night, starting at Bethel AME Church.
The demonstrators searched for hours. They carried flashlights and asked for medics to join them in case she was hurt.
Salau on June 15, after a week of her abduction, was found dead.
Before her confirmed death, she was very passionate about government policies, fighting racism and other issues affecting the society.
Edited By: Kamal Tayo Oropo/Muhammad Suleiman Tola (NAN)https://nnn.ng/dabiri-erewa-tasks-us-govt-on-killing-of-nigerian-american-salau/