Besiktas Manager Claims He Couldn’t Contact Dele Alli
Manager grants ex-Tottenham star ‘small break’ from football
Besiktas manager Senol Gunes has claimed he hasn’t been able to contact Dele Alli after he granted the ex-Tottenham star a ‘small break’ from football. Although Dele has now moved to say his absence was sanctioned by the club.
Dele’s Struggles at Besiktas
The 26-year-old has endured a torrid time in Turkey since his move from Everton last summer, scoring just twice in 13 Super Lig appearances. It was reported on March 16 that Dele had been banished from the Besitkas squad, having last featured for the club back in February.
Dele has made just four starts under Gunes since he succeeded Valerian Ismail as the new boss in October. Reports in Turkey suggest that Dele may never play for Besiktas again and the former MK Dons midfielder is expected to watch the remainder of their games this season from the stands.
Manager Admits He Hasn’t Been Able to Reach Out to Dele
In an interview over the international break, Gunes openly admitted that he allowed Dele to have some time away. But the veteran manager hasn’t even been able get in touch with the ex-England ace and also revealed that he has tried to see where he is.
Speaking about Dele abscence, Gunes said: “We gave Dele Alli permission for a small break, he hasn’t come back yet. It’s raining, that’s probably why he didn’t come. We’re trying to find out where he is.”
Dele Denies Manager’s Claims
However, on Wednesday evening, Dele contradicted Gunes’ comments and revealed in an Instagram story he was allowed to attend a doctor’s appointment in London. He also stated he will return to Besiktas training as normal on Thursday.
“Hey guys just had loads of messages so wanted to clear something up,” Dele said. “The club gave me permission to attend a doctor’s appointment today. I’m due back in training tomorrow as normal.”
Dele’s Decline Since Tottenham Career
Last week, Dele was spotted with Kim Kardashian and her children after the US reality star visited London for Arsenal’s Europa League clash against Sporting CP. Kardashian, 42, was present at the Emirates Stadium and also spoke to Bukayo Saka as well as Dele.
Dele’s decline is pretty remarkable given the start to his Tottenham career. He was touted as one of Europe’s most exciting young talents when he broke onto the scene at MK Dons, before securing his move to Spurs.
Having notched double-figures in his debut season at Spurs, Dele then scored 22 times in 50 matches in his second – the most prolific career of his to date. It was form that earned Dele a consistent place in the England side – and Gareth Southgate was a huge fan of his.
But Dele’s form started to plummet during the 2018/19 season and after Spurs reached the Champions League final. Tottenham lost against Liverpool in Madrid and Dele failed to deceive in arguably the biggest game of his career.
Jose Mourinho, who replaced Mauricio Pochettino back in November 2019, tried to get the best out of Dele, and famously warned him to up his game as “time flies”. The Portuguese has been proven right on this occasion as Dele has never recovered, although he did score a respectable eight goals in 25 games that season.
Tottenham eventually sold Dele to Everton in January 2022 as Frank Lampard attempted to get a tune out of the midfielder. But he wasn’t able to, and after 13 Premier League games, Dele was shipped to Besiktas in the summer transfer window.
Dele last played for the Turkish giants on February 26 against Antalyspor and was left out of the three most recent league matches before the international break.