Foreign

Beirut holds blast vigils as hope of finding survivor in rubble fades

Published

on


Lebanese gathered for a vigil and prayer on Friday to mark one month since the massive explosion at Beirut’s port devastated the city.


Not far away, rescue workers spent the day on a long-shot search for a possible survivor under the rubble of a collapsed building.

After darkness fell, and with hope dwindling, their operation was largely ceased until Saturday morning.

The army had stood for a minute of silence at the port alongside family members, who lost loved ones in the explosion on Aug. 4, which killed at least 190, wounded 6,000 others, and left Lebanon in a state of shock.

At another event near the blast site white roses were distributed to the families of the dead and wounded, while clergymen representing the main religious sects in Lebanon prayed.

The minute of silence was also observed by people passing on the road near the port, while traffic came to a standstill at exactly 6:07pm – the time the blast occurred.

The tragedy was blamed on ammonium nitrate, which was poorly stored in a port warehouse.

Church bells tolled in the city as mosques’ loudspeakers recited verses from the holy Koran to mourn the dead.

A few meters away and 30 days after the explosion, a frantic search for a possible survivor was in its second day, in spite of the slim chances of finding someone alive at this point.

The hope was kindled when Chilean rescue workers said on Thursday that they had detected a sign of life from under the rubble of a collapsed building in the Gemmayze neighbourhood.

A sniffer dog named Flash – brought to Beirut by the Chilean rescuers – was the first to respond to a scent at the site.

Electronic sensors were then brought in to examine the area and they also detected signals that could indicate someone was trapped below.

Francisco Lermanda, leader of the Chilean “Topos” rescue team, told reporters Friday evening that he could neither confirm nor rule out that there was anyone alive under the huge pile of debris.

“We have to reach 3 meters – this is where we received the signal,” he said.

He added that audio equipment detected what appeared to be weak breathing – initially between 18 and 20 breaths per minute – and that the specialists told them that it indicated a person could be about 3 metres deep.

Lermanda said the digging crews were tunnelling toward the location from multiple directions and had reached 1.2 meters deep so far.

Later in the day, Lebanese engineer Riad al-Assad, who is helping the Chilean team, said the team “did a test between 4:30 and 6:30 local time but they did not hear anything, they repeated it at 8:30 and also the same result.”

Al-Assad said work was being paused for the coming hours.

The Chilean team has been working for 48 hours non-stop, he said.

The Chilean volunteers are part of a Mexican rescue non-profit named “Los Topos” and are being aided by Lebanese civil defence volunteers.

Lebanese broadcaster MTV said earlier that the rescue workers had detected a sign of life again on Friday, but that the indications were weaker than the previous day.

Another engineering expert at the scene told local television broadcasters that they had scanned the first floor using a laser camera equipped with temperature sensors to establish whether there were any bodies inside, but found nothing.

“All we saw is rubble, no bodies,” said the expert, who did not identify himself.

He added that they would have seen clearly on the camera if there was someone alive in the area.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim (NAN)

https://nnn.ng/beirut-holds-blast-vigils-as-hope-of-finding-survivor-in-rubble-fades/

Foreign

Sudan arrests 41 terrorists, seizes large amounts of explosives

Published

on



Terror

Khartoum Sudanese security forces have arrested 41 terrorism suspects and seized explosives that “could have blown up the entire capital,” the public prosecutor and police director general said on Wednesday.

The explosives included highly explosive ammonium nitrate, the public prosecutor Taj Al-Sir Al-Hibir and police director general Ezz El-Din Al-Sheikh told journalists in the capital.

The terrorism suspects were arrested during 12 ambush operations conducted by Rapid Support Forces (RSF) teams, and almost 3,600 explosive devices were seized, the attorney general said.

Some of the arrested are suspected to have been involved in an attack on the convoy of Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok in March, RSF spokesman Jamal Jumaa said.

Ammonium nitrate was the substance that caused a massive explosion in the port of Lebanon’s capital Beirut on August 4, killing 190 people and leaving at least 6,000 others injured.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashi
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/sudan-arrests-41-terrorists-seizes-large-amounts-of-explosives/

Continue Reading

Foreign

UNICEF launches cash assistance programme in Lebanon

Published

on


The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Tuesday launched an emergency cash assistance programme to support people affected by Beirut’s port explosions on Aug. 4, LBCI local TV channel reported.


The UNICEF noted that the programme will reach 80,000 children and adults affected by the explosions.

UNICEF Representative in Lebanon Yukie Mokuo noted that the assistance programme can play a vital role in supporting those who suffered the most from the blasts.

Two huge explosions rocked Beirut’s port on Aug. 4, destroying a big part of the city while killing around 190 people and wounding no fewer than 6,000 others.

Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/ Maharazu Ahmed
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/unicef-launches-cash-assistance-programme-in-lebanon/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Trial begins of ex-Nissan boss Ghosn’s former right-hand man

Published

on


The trial of Greg Kelly, former right-hand man of ex-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn, on charges of financial misconduct, began in a Tokyo court on Tuesday.


Kelly, who is accused of violating Japanese stock market requirements, however, pleaded not guilty.

The two ex-managers are accused of misrepresenting levels of remuneration in official reports to the Japanese stock exchange, and in Ghosn’s case, underreporting them for years.

On Nov. 19, 2018, Ghosn and Kelly were arrested in Tokyo.

While Kelly stayed in Japan, Ghosn fled to Lebanon.

He reportedly hid in a musical instrument case to make his escape.

The court separated the trial of 64-year-old United States citizen, Kelly, from that of his former boss, after Ghosn fled.

However, Kelly said he did not break any laws in Japan.

If he is found guilty, he could face up to 10 years imprisonment.

Meanwhile, Japanese authorities are making efforts to secure extradition of Ghosn.

Japan has no extradition treaty with Lebanon.

Ghosn once saved Nissan from near bankruptcy and formed the alliance of Renault, Nissan and Mitsubishi.

The scandal surrounding him left the grouping in a deep crisis.

The French justice department is also investigating alleged embezzlement of funds by Ghosn at Renault.

Japan, about half a year after his escape, called on the United States authorities to extradite two people suspected to be helping him.

The father and son were arrested in the United States state of Massachusetts in May.

Edited By: Abiodun Oluleye/Ijeoma Popoola
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/trial-begins-of-ex-nissan-boss-ghosns-former-right-hand-man-2/
Continue Reading

Foreign

Trial begins of ex-Nissan boss Ghosn’s former right-hand man

Published

on


The trial of Greg Kelly, the former right-hand man of ex-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn, on charges of financial misconduct began in a Tokyo court on Tuesday.


Kelly, who is accused of violating Japanese stock market requirements, pleaded not guilty.

The two ex-managers are accused of misrepresenting levels of remuneration in official reports to the Japanese stock exchange, and in Ghosn’s case, under-reporting them for years.

On Nov. 19, 2018, Ghosn and Kelly were arrested in Tokyo.

While Kelly stayed in Japan, Ghosn fled to Lebanon.

He reportedly hid in a musical instrument case to make his escape.

The court separated 64-year-old United States citizen Kelly’s trial from that of his former boss after Ghosn fled.

Kelly said he did not break any laws in Japan.

If he is found guilty, he could face up to 10 years in prison.

Japanese authorities are meanwhile making efforts to secure the extradition of Ghosn.

Japan has no extradition treaty with Lebanon.

Ghosn once saved Nissan from near bankruptcy and formed the alliance of Renault, Nissan, and Mitsubishi.

The scandal surrounding him left the grouping in a deep crisis.

The French justice department is also investigating an alleged embezzlement of funds by Ghosn at Renault.

Around half a year after his spectacular escape, Japan called on the United States authorities to extradite two people suspected of helping him.

The father and son were arrested in the United States state of Massachusetts in May.

Edited By: Emmanuel Yashim
Source: NAN

https://nnn.ng/trial-begins-of-ex-nissan-boss-ghosns-former-right-hand-man/
Continue Reading

Cashier in court for allegedly stealing N500,000 from employer Schools Resumption: Some private schools record high turnout in Lagos Kaduna proposed NOK University to prioritise sciences Suga hopes for ‘forward-looking’ ties with S. Korea in letter to President Moon Peace Day: Foundation urges Nigerians to contribute to peaceful coexistence  Foundation urges Nigerians to promote peace, stability Gov. Mala-Buni mourns emir of Zazzau Iseyin monarch appeals for improved security as Oro Festival commences Drug Abuse: NGO set to embark on sensitisation in secondary schools Again, Buhari challenges Kaduna indigenes on peace, harmony 2 herders in court over illegal farm invasion, malicious damage to crops Malnutrition: UNICEF trains Plateau health workers on child feeding practices Rep. donates 10 motorcycles to former teachers Bale signing leaves Alli’s Spurs future in doubt Man City’s Gundogan tests positive for COVID-19 Ember month: FRSC sensitise motorists on traffic rules in Kano Court remands woman over alleged armed robbery Emir of Lafia urges parents to give priority to girl-child education Tokyo 2020 consulting firm paid around $370,000 to Diack’s son – report 2 men in court over alleged theft of N18.6m of roofing sheets Environmentalist harps on mitigation of climate change effects Police arraign 2 over alleged unlawful possession of firearm ENSG woos investors to beautiful tourist sites Driver in court for allegedly stealing N2m truck UAE, Israeli film bodies sign agreement, plan regional film festival ‘Watchmen,’ ‘Schitt’s Creek’ rule at virtual Emmys with pandemic and political twists Nigeria to participate in agriculture transformation initiative -FAO Plaque symbolising defiance against Thai monarchy vanishes INEC result, true reflection of Edo people’s choice – Group KDSG attracts 25 new business worth $500m – El-Rufai  Security: FRSC tasks officers on accurate database of vehicles EFCC, Unilorin collaborate on financial crimes Babatope congratulates Obaseki, praises Buhari for free and fair polls Cricket Federation hopes to complete phase 1 of oval construction in November — Official Victims seek help as rainstorm renders many homeless in Kwara Kebbi LGA distributes relief materials to flood victims Obaseki’s victory indicates new political era – Oyebode Norwegian survey shows 77% displaced people have lost jobs, income due to COVID-19 Financial expert advises CBN on interest rates as MPC holds NASSI lauds FG on forex ban for food importers We are not deterred by COVID-19 to mark [email protected] – NUTAG Ife begins Olojo festival as Ooni enters 7-day seclusion Aston Villa sign forward Traore from Lyon for 18 million euros Re-election: PDP South Africa chapter congratulates Obaseki Russia conducts its largest 2020 military exercise in Caucasus Pakistan resumes polio vaccination drive after hiatus due to pandemic Court remands man over alleged defilement of his 9-year-old sister-in-law EU Diplomats to discuss ways to support Libyan ceasefire on Monday – Borrell UN to mark 75th anniversary with largely online event Oil prices slip on potential return of Libyan output; Gulf storm supports