FC Barcelona confirm stadium move for Camp Nou renovations
NNN: FC Barcelona confirm stadium move for Camp Nou renovations
Berlin, June 21, 2022 FC Barcelona have confirmed their stadium move for the 20232024 season while the Camp Nou undergoes renovations and revealed they will play in the city’s Olympic stadium.
A significant venture for the Catalan side is currently under development, with the “Espai project” seeing major works conducted at both Camp Nou and the club’s wider complex.
FC Barcelona will remain at Camp Nou for the 20222023 season but the following year, in 202320024, will take temporary shelter at the Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys.
Formerly the home of Espanyol, the Estadic Olimpic Lluis Companys is the fifth-largest stadium in Spain with a capacity of 60,713 and hosted the Olympic Games in 1992.
FC Barcelona’s re-development of Camp Nou will see the capacity increased from its current 99,000 to 110,000 — making it the third-largest stadium in the world.
A roof will also be constructed to boost sustainability by utilising a heating and cooling system.
Confirming the move, the club’s President Joan Laporta said: “FC Barcelona will have the privilege to play at the Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys in the 20232024 season during the recently-approved Espai Barca work.
“Work begins on the first and second levels this summer and when major work is done on the third level and roof, we’ll play here.”
Arch-rivals Real Madrid played their home matches away from the Santiago Bernabeu, which is under re-development, during the 20202021 season.
They hosted games at their reserve team’s Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano during a period when fans were regularly not permitted to attend anyway due to the coronavirus
- 120 correctional centre inmates in Enugu gain admission into National Open University
- We’ll ensure changes in DisCos don’t disrupt service – FG
- Research: CSO tasks Kwara Govt on budget spendings
- Buhari salutes Army on 2022 NADCEL
- NMet predicts 3-day cloudiness, sunshine from Thursday
- Eid-el-Kabir: FRSC begins enlightenment campaign for motorists in Kano
- Barkindo’s death: NOG organisers call off 2022 dinner/award night
- Gov. Bagudu approves N52.9m for Kebbi boarding schools to celebrate sallah
- Nigerian petroleum industry holds night of tributes for Barkindo
- Our governorship candidate yet to announce running mate – Lagos PDP
- NSCDC urges newly recruited officers to maintain discipline, commitment
- Nigeria requires over 350m trees yearly to check deforestation – NCF
- FEMA, JICA empower IDPs in Abuja
- 2023: Group tasks INEC on peaceful, fair polls
- Influencer urges youths to maximise social media for wealth creation
- NOA expresses readiness to partner with CSOs, others on vote-buying
- Plateau APC Guber Candidate picks Butmang as running mate
- UK wants improved implementation of disability laws in Nigeria
- Running mate: PDP group faults voting by screening committee
- Gov. Fintiri commiserates with Barkindo family